Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

First Time Sphynx Momma

PennyLane24

Lairian
Hello Everyone!
I'm Kelsey and I'm from VT! I've just discovered this forum as I'm too excited too sleep. Today is gotcha day for my very first Sphynx baby. I have been facinated by them since I was 14 and have been determined that one day, I would make that dream happen. As a teen, I printed out Sphynx photos from the Internet and taped them all over an empty cannister and called it my Sphynx Savings. I did research. I found a reputable breeder within a drivable distance. I got email updates about upcoming litters. But when the time came, and I had the money, it wasn't the right time. And it broke my heart but I did the responsible thing and said, "someday." I turn 30 this year, and it's finally time!

I leave in the morning for a little roadtrip with my best friend to bring home Penny Lane. It's been such a long time coming, I feel like it won't be real until she's in my arms again.

If you have any tips for the ride home; the first night; must have Sphynx gear, please share! Thanks so much for this wonderful resource. I can't wait to explore the community.

Photos from my visit with her a few weeks ago below, and this one from the breeder; the first one I saw!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@PennyLane24 welcome to sphynxlair. What a cute and beautiful girl she is. Happy for you your dream is finally comimg true!

For the car ride it can be a good idea to being a travel litterbox in case she needs to pee.
Most sphynx love blankets to crawl under. And Da Bird as a toy to play with.

akneault

Lairian
Penny Lane! What a great name! Beatle fan? Me, too! She’s beautiful!
Enjoy the kitten stage...my Kuzco is almost 8 months old, and I am already looking at his kitten pics nostalgically...Welcome to the Lair!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@PennyLane24 Hi Kelsey !
Happy Penny Lane Gotcha day!
Thank you for sharing the beautiful tale of your Sphynx gotcha journey -
I waited 15 years for my first Sphynx . I used to cut out pics of sphnyx and keep them at my desk ar work saying "someday " .

Penny Lane is extraordinary .

Very excited for you !
Look forward to lots of pics and tales !

Welcome to the lair family

Here is a great link
Sphynx Cat Help Center

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the greatest place for everything sphynx! Penny Lane is such a great name. She looks a lot like my Siiri that we picked up last week. It's a precious time and be prepared to now and then get that feeling that you wanna throw them out! This weekend my new baby got the idéa to crawl into and armchair and got stuck, so baby proof everything in your house you can think of. Just give lots of love and time for Penny and keep us updated on your adventures, with lots of adorable baby pics! Good luck!

PennyLane24

Lairian
image.jpeg
@PennyLane24 welcome to sphynxlair. What a cute and beautiful girl she is. Happy for you your dream is finally comimg true!

For the car ride it can be a good idea to being a travel litterbox in case she needs to pee.
Most sphynx love blankets to crawl under. And Da Bird as a toy to play with.
Thank you so much for the compliment and the suggestions! I saw Da Bird when I stopped by my local pet store and the guy in the cat section was pleased I had already grabbed one! Penny loves it!! She also has 4 new fleecy blankets and a cave bed she loves.

PennyLane24

Lairian
@PennyLane24 Hi Kelsey !
Happy Penny Lane Gotcha day!
Thank you for sharing the beautiful tale of your Sphynx gotcha journey -
I waited 15 years for my first Sphynx . I used to cut out pics of sphnyx and keep them at my desk ar work saying "someday " .

Penny Lane is extraordinary .

Very excited for you !
Look forward to lots of pics and tales !

Welcome to the lair family

Here is a great link
Sphynx Cat Help Center
Thank you so much! I think she's extraordinary too, and so worth the wait. I think she was meant to be. She was the runt and listed weeks later than the rest of her siblings to make sure she was health and growing. A friend and fellow Sphynx mom saw the post for one available kitten and texted me while I was at work. I had missed out on the postings for the available litters earlier in the season, despite stalking the breeder page. I Sphynx sat for my friend for 10 days and I reserved Penny 5 days after my friends cat went home. Once I had a one in my life, I just couldn't not have one. It was fate.

PennyLane24

Lairian
Penny Lane! What a great name! Beatle fan? Me, too! She’s beautiful!
Enjoy the kitten stage...my Kuzco is almost 8 months old, and I am already looking at his kitten pics nostalgically...Welcome to the Lair!
Yes, it's totally after the Beatles song. But also Almost Famous. But mostly because Penny Lane is in my ears, and in my eyes.

PennyLane24

Lairian
First days home update:

Penny Lane is amazing. I had emotionally prepared myself for a tough transition, in case she had a rough time leaving her first home, but she has been a dream from the moment we hit the highway. She sleeps in bed with us for most of the night, but she naps in her cave bed or blankets. She particularly likes these faux fur throw pillows we have in an armchair. She has been using the litter box from day 1, and is a great eater so she's going to grow fast. I ordered shirts for her and even the smallest size fell off her so I made one from a sock. We went to the vet day 2 and she did so well! She's in perfect health and we go back in 2 weeks for her last round of vaccines. No shots that day, just paraded around the office and fawned over. Our dog had an appointment with her groomer and she happens to be a big fan of Sphynx but had never met one in person. I surprised her with Penny and she cried! It was so precious. It feels like she brings joy wherever she goes.

She has been adjusting so well at home. She has had very closely supervised, safe interactions with our dog Gemma. The first night we spent an hour on the floor on either side of a baby gate, with lots of treats and toys and praise for Penny and Gemma just being in close proximity. No hissing or hackles present. Since, there have been snuffles, licks, and a few bops from Penny, claws in, mitt only. It's so darn cute I can't stand it. Penny is only in our bedroom for the first week home, so she is never unsupervised in the presence of the dog. It's going amazingly well but I'm proceeding with caution. My sister in law came over to meet her night 2 and took these amazing photos. This is night 4 and I am tired, but so happy.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
This is my tip to a new sphynx momma - be very careful opening doors. They are sneaky fast.

I "inventory" mine when I'm about to open the door. If I can't see one of them (I have 2), I don't open the door. Trust me, they get right around your feet and you don't notice them, then as soon as you open the door they dart out.

PennyLane24

Lairian
This is my tip to a new sphynx momma - be very careful opening doors. They are sneaky fast.

I "inventory" mine when I'm about to open the door. If I can't see one of them (I have 2), I don't open the door. Trust me, they get right around your feet and you don't notice them, then as soon as you open the door they dart out.
Thank you for the advice! She is constantly in and out of my feet so I'm learning to be more aware so I don't step on her! Doors will be something to watch for very soon!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Penny Lane is a very beautiful and cute little lady. Love reading your update and hear the love you feel for her. Happy she settles in so well and already feels at home

Yoda mom

Staff member
@PennyLane24 , checking in on sweet Penny Lane :)

Great advice by @Condo commando to take inventory before opening doors

I bought a smartcat climber thst hooks over the door to train for meet and greets to prevent less bolting out doors-
I open the door sleepy and put treats on the smart cat climber shelves -
Now they bolt to it as soon as I open the door

Head smooches sent -
Penny Lane was certainly meant to be

Back