Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

FLYING WITH KITTY

lexin77

Lairian
Hi all!!

I am taking a trip to Florida in June for 3 weeks and I am debating on bringing Ripley.
Does anyone fly with their sphynx? I booked her a ticket with me in the cabin already.
Flying from California to Florida is such a long way though.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

holly_savage

Banned
I flew to pick up Hibou from her breeder. It was a little stressful on her, but apart from being VERY LOUD she was good. Once we were up in the air I put her carrier on my lap and had my hand inside to pet her and that seem to keep her calm enough. It was a crazy long day...she went without her food or litter for almost 12 hours, but once we got to the hotel room, she was exstatic to be out of the carrier.

I think your little one will be fine.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I worked for an airline a few years ago. There's a loophole that I became aware of. Service animals fly free. Like seeing eye dogs for the blind. If you are willing to say that your cat provides "emotional support", it's possible the kitty can fly free. You can tell them that without kitty you could have a panic attack from flying. I've never tried it but when people refused to pay the extra cost for animals, I'd let them slide because I hate confrontation.

It's just a thought.

Don't forget to bring water in a bottle. You may be required to keep kitty in carrier. But flight attendants are usually cat lovers so they will want you to take kitty out so they can see. Everyone and their mother will come up and ask if they can pet kitty. The flight attendants will probably bring over hyper children in the hopes kitty will calm them down. You will be the star of the plane. That's good. CA to FL, that's a long flight.

I agree with Holly. Kitty will do just fine. And you'll be happier.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Be careful with the service animal stuff - Having a registered service dog myself I've often flown with her all over the country and even into Canada on many occasions. However, while not normally asked, they CAN ask for a doctors note to confirm a legitimate need for the service animal for security purposes. I do see way to many people claiming a pet is a service animal just so they don't have to pay to take them on the plane, if caught they can face huge penalties for falsely claiming a service animal, even including jail time. Just not worth it to save a hundred bucks or so! It's illegal, and it can result in stricter regulations for service animals, and may really hurt those who do legitimately need a service animal to assist us! In some states, depending on what states you're flying through, it's a class C misdemeanor for the first offence, or class B for 2nd offenses. It's not worth risking a criminal record just to get out of paying!

As far as flying, I've never flown with my Sphynx, but I have flown with other cats I've rescued, and I've flown with puppies and dogs frequently to either get to one that needed to come into my rescue, or to take one to it's forever home that was being adopted. All have done just fine! The best suggestion I can give you is to start getting him use to the carrier now, let him play in it, sleep in it, feed him in it at possible, or at least give him special treats in it. Get him familiar and comfortable with it, that'll make the trip much easier for both of you! Even take him on short trips in the car in his carrier will help make the trip much less stressful on both of you!

lexin77

Lairian
thanks you guys for the responses!
It was only $130 RT for her ticket so I didn't mind.
The one good thing is I take her everywhere in the car now so shes used to being otu and about.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Be careful with the service animal stuff - Having a registered service dog myself I've often flown with her all over the country and even into Canada on many occasions. However, while not normally asked, they CAN ask for a doctors note to confirm a legitimate need for the service animal for security purposes. I do see way to many people claiming a pet is a service animal just so they don't have to pay to take them on the plane, if caught they can face huge penalties for falsely claiming a service animal, even including jail time. Just not worth it to save a hundred bucks or so! It's illegal, and it can result in stricter regulations for service animals, and may really hurt those who do legitimately need a service animal to assist us! In some states, depending on what states you're flying through, it's a class C misdemeanor for the first offence, or class B for 2nd offenses. It's not worth risking a criminal record just to get out of paying!

Hmm, that's news to me. I was employed at Airtran Airways. We were told to charge the customer and if they raised a fuss then don't charge. Airtran required no documentation. It seems like the airline would be in violation of HIPAA if they asked you to provide details of your medical records (I'm no lawyer). This is a very gray area I guess. If a person says they need something for their peace of mind, you can bet the airline would allow it since it so trivial and doesn't affect anyone. Just like jaywalking I suppose.

But, the airline could require a health certificate for the animal.

lexin77

Lairian
thanks you guys for the responses!
It was only $130 RT for her ticket so I didn't mind.
The one good thing is I take her everywhere in the car now so shes used to being otu and about.

GioThermal

Lairian
SWEET! Thanks ElGato! I am SO going to use that excuse... I am ONE HOT MESS without my kitty. Taking my Sphynx sounds much better than taking my Xanax!!

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We brought Piglet back from Vegas to Florida. We had him the in cabin withus. He went under the seat in front of me for takeoff and landing, but other than that the carrier was on my lap. He mainly just slept. Durring the layover, we took him out and gave him some water and treats, but then he went right back in. Iw ould not have a problem with taking him again if we needed to.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hmm, that's news to me. I was employed at Airtran Airways. We were told to charge the customer and if they raised a fuss then don't charge. Airtran required no documentation. It seems like the airline would be in violation of HIPAA if they asked you to provide details of your medical records (I'm no lawyer). This is a very gray area I guess. If a person says they need something for their peace of mind, you can bet the airline would allow it since it so trivial and doesn't affect anyone. Just like jaywalking I suppose.

But, the airline could require a health certificate for the animal.
Agreed it's a very grey area! Having a service dog, I've had to do alot of research to know my rights and know when I should stand my ground and when I should just give in. I've often had to fight at resteraunts and movie theaters, while federal law says they can't, often local laws say that anywhere there could be a concern with the public they can require documentation that you have a legitimate service animal. I always keep my dog's service ID card on her when we go out, and if I travel I keep a copy of my doctor's note stating my need for a service dog. The note doesn't have to say much to hold up in court, just that your doctor did either recommend or agree that you do have a need for a service animal. If someone on the flight raises a stink and complains to the right person that you had a "service animal" that really wasn't, you could end up in alot of trouble! That said, I'm sure what airline you travel with makes alot of difference as well! I always travel either Delta or US Airways, and am almost never even asked for a health certificate! But I always make sure I have that stuff just in case, because you never know!

It's great that you already take your cat on car trips and around town with you - I doubt you'll have any trouble at all taking him with you, he'll probably be happier then he would be left home! I'd say take him!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Agreed it's a very grey area! Having a service dog, I've had to do alot of research to know my rights and know when I should stand my ground and when I should just give in. I've often had to fight at resteraunts and movie theaters, while federal law says they can't, often local laws say that anywhere there could be a concern with the public they can require documentation that you have a legitimate service animal. I always keep my dog's service ID card on her when we go out, and if I travel I keep a copy of my doctor's note stating my need for a service dog. The note doesn't have to say much to hold up in court, just that your doctor did either recommend or agree that you do have a need for a service animal. If someone on the flight raises a stink and complains to the right person that you had a "service animal" that really wasn't, you could end up in alot of trouble! That said, I'm sure what airline you travel with makes alot of difference as well! I always travel either Delta or US Airways, and am almost never even asked for a health certificate! But I always make sure I have that stuff just in case, because you never know!

It's great that you already take your cat on car trips and around town with you - I doubt you'll have any trouble at all taking him with you, he'll probably be happier then he would be left home! I'd say take him!

Good info.

Sometimes people would fly with seeing eye dogs and we would have to take them out and let them relieve themselves. It was so weird because those dogs would behave like angels until they left their owners. Then they would get all excited and run around and play. Getting them to go potty wasn't as easy as it sounded.

Back