Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Food with Doxy pills?

So Dita started her Doxy pills tonight, I gave them to her in the Greenies pill pockets but after about 5 minutes she vomited it back up.

The directions said she couldn't eat right before or after taking them but they might have been human directions. But I think she threw up because her stomach was empty. So can she eat?

What do I do?:ThumbsDown:

nabeccab

Lairian
I preference this by stating that my degree is only in people medicine. Doxy gives people a very upset stomach (can even lead to gastritis) and are recommended to take with food (at least in people). I would call the vet and ask because those directions sound strange to me.

I preference this by stating that my degree is only in people medicine. Doxy gives people a very upset stomach (can even lead to gastritis) and are recommended to take with food (at least in people). I would call the vet and ask because those directions sound strange to me.

Okay, because the directions that came with the bottle said she couldn't eat but then she got really sick so I didn't know.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Gummi has been on doxy a LOOOONG time, lol. I always have a bowl of canned food or yogurt ready and she eats as soon as she swallows the pill, it makes it easier to give to her and she has never thrown it up. My vet told me to give her food or water after the pill to help ease it down and prevent it from scratching/irritating her throat

Treasurecat

Banned
I have been on Doxy for about a month now. My bottle says take with a small snack or meal if stomach upset occurs. Another BIG thing is NO calcium for 2 hours. Which sucks because apparently, I like a lot of dairy products ( coffee with LOTS of cream a.m. & p.m., cereal, yogurt, etc...) The calcium will negate the effects of the doxy.

the only time I gave it to a cat, I made sure she had eaten or she would vomit :(

Good luck

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Another BIG thing is NO calcium for 2 hours. Which sucks because apparently, I like a lot of dairy products ( coffee with LOTS of cream a.m. & p.m., cereal, yogurt, etc...) The calcium will negate the effects of the doxy.

Whaaaaat!! I give Gummi yogurt after her doxy! Could that be why she keeps having to take it?? No more yogurt! Thanks for the info!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have been on Doxy for about a month now. My bottle says take with a small snack or meal if stomach upset occurs. Another BIG thing is NO calcium for 2 hours. Which sucks because apparently, I like a lot of dairy products ( coffee with LOTS of cream a.m. & p.m., cereal, yogurt, etc...) The calcium will negate the effects of the doxy.

the only time I gave it to a cat, I made sure she had eaten or she would vomit :(

Good luck

Whaaaaat!! I give Gummi yogurt after her doxy! Could that be why she keeps having to take it?? No more yogurt! Thanks for the info!

Great tip regarding calcium, Treasurecat. I would have never thought about that. Maybe you are on to something with Gummi, Gadzukz. Maybe the timing of the doxy with the yogurt chaser wasn't helping.

Back