Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

For owners who have dealt with HCM or Congestive Heart Failure, when is time to let go?

demyan

Lairian
Sorry in advance for the novel.

I struggle with this so much. My boy had saddle thrombus-like symptoms two and a half years ago when he was 5. He was in the ICU for a week fighting for his life and diagnosed with ventricular tachycardia along with mild HCM (hcm not the cause of the event). They got him stabilized to come home to me on meds for his arrhythmia and he had been totally fine back to normal although his checkups over the next 9 months showed pretty fast progression from HCM stage B1 to B2. Then in October last year I noticed he was gasping for air and breathing really hard. I rushed him to the ICU again where he was diagnosed with the final stage of HCM and congestive heart failure. He stayed there for a few days on oxygen, came home. Had to go back for longer on oxygen and to get meds tweaked and deal with an infection in his leg from the IV. It was such a scary stressful time but he came home to me for 7 months and although his appetite is not as big as it once was. He’s been my same normally cuddly happy cat. Nothing in his personality or will to live has ever changed. Even having to take diuretics and other heart medication 8 times a day, he’s still as happy as he can be. About 3 months ago he lost the ability to swallow hard food which began the weight loss. He went from being a 17 pound chunker down to 11-12 pounds. Largely because I can’t get enough calories into him. He gets sick of puréed wet food and wants dry food but his esophagus doesn’t empty it. It gets stuck and he gags and chokes on a thick mucus while It comes back up. Vet didn’t have any answers for this other than muscle weakness due to the heart failing. But still through all this he has been still ok. He had a check up a month ago and the cardiologist said he was stable, no signs of fluid returning or coming back soon, and was safe to see him again in 6 months.

Then last night I noticed his breath rates were up. I rushed him back to the ICU out of caution and I was correct, the fluid was back. Upon this arrival was the first time one of the ER doctors asked me if I wanted to put him down. Not because he was critical (we caught it early) but I think because of the reoccurrence and she mentioned the financial burden. Which yes it has been a financial burden. I am not working due to disability and the last visit was around 14k dollars that had to go onto my credit card. I don’t know how much it will be this time to get him stable again but that’s what prompted her to ask me that. I asked her in turn, financials aside is he suffering, is he worth treating. She told me it’s about the cats desire to live, that’s the most important part. And she said his desire to live is very much there. He is happy. Always purring. Loves everyone. Loves rubbing his head on people at the ICU. He’s so friendly. How can I think of putting him to sleep? I don’t ever in a million years want to do this. I was hoping he would pass away peacefully in his sleep from the arrhythmia one day so that I didn’t have to. But between multiple credit cards and loans I am starting to run out of room. It’s scary. I don’t want to lose him but I can’t consciously feel ok putting him to sleep when he’s so happy and wants to be with me. Even a few hours prior to taking him to the ICU yesterday, I came home and he ran to the door for me like he does every day. He runs meowing and then rolls over for his butt pats. I told myself the day he stops doing this I will know. But he never did.

I just don’t know how to handle the ICU costing 2-3k dollars a day and the guilt I would feel if I had to put him to sleep because of money, or even when to stop trying to save him. I love him so much he’s my best friend and I feel the worst I’ve ever felt in my entire life. I don’t know what others experiences are with this horrible heart disease or if anyone can tell me what they went through and when they decided to let go. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6353.jpeg
    IMG_6353.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20240410_124659_119.jpeg
    IMG_20240410_124659_119.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3315.jpeg
    IMG_3315.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so sad for you and Henry and everything you've both been through, and are still going through! I can't comment on the financial side of things, but I can only imagine how much of a toll that takes, alongside everything else.

As for knowing when to let go, well...you just know. When you know that his quality of life is too poor, and that to keep him on this side of the rainbow bridge would be for your sake and not his... When he's no longer the cat you knew, and you can feel that he's suffering.

Your situation is very different to what mine was like, and it sounds like Henry is still doing relatively okay, considering all he's been through.

It was all much quicker for us. First saddle thrombus on Feb 7, but Butchie regained feeling in his hindlegs (to everyone's amazement) and could come home after just 1 day in the hospital. We got 2 months before the next bloodclot, but this time he didn't regain bloodflow/feeling from the hocks down. He ended up chewing his own paws so badly, like they weren't his, I could see bone and tendons. At that point the decision was made for us...

Money aside, you will know in your gut when it's time. And I won't lie - it'll be the hardst thing you ever have to do, and the worst day of your life.

Thinking of you and Henry and am sending HUGE hugs! Remember you're not alone and while most people won't understand how you're feeling, we do!!

Please keep us updated on beautiful Henry and be kind to yourself! You're doing absolutely everything that you can do.

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My read is, financials aside, u want to hold on as much as he does and that u will until your baby boy decides he wants to let go.

Trust your gut instinct on this one as I feel u are so in tuned with him.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@demyan, justs seeing your post now. ((((hugs)))) checking in for updates. your love for Henry leaps off the page.

my Yoda girl also had several saddle thrombosis embolisms in a year. my heart goes out to you. you are not alone.
for her circumstances, the first time it happened, I rushed her to the vet and she already came out of it after the 5 minutes drive to the vet and acted like nothing happened after and got full rear leg motion back, acting totally normal.

My vet and I had a long chat for my personal situation. My vet gave a strict regimen of the low dose aspirin therapy regimen (based on her weight ) to give her as soon as I saw any symptoms coming on and one every 72 hours and then stop. ( she would shake her back leg and then low crawl, sometimes not vocal as it was beginning). I took her home and loved on her everyday and kept the vets instructions on hand. she pulled through numerous times at home. Then one day, she got her angel wings at home, she was barely 2.

For my Kato bengal boy he was 8 yrs old HCM/CHF. when the meds were no longer working and I promised him to be his voice when he needed me most to give him peace and dignity.

Your baby Henry only knows your eternal love
we are here for you

Toa and Ross

Staff member
So sorry to hear what you and Henry have to go through. It's such a hard decision to let go of your best friend.
Henry knows nothing but your love. And sometimes you show your love by letting your best friend go.
Only you can tell when it's time. And even if there would be more good days ahead but you have to decide to let him go due to financial issues, Henry still knows you love him more then anything. Most important is you are there with him untill the end. He wouldn't want you to go bankrupt.

A month ago my boy Ross died, probably due to HCM. I felt it was time to let him go but the vet wanted to wait a few more days. The night before the appointment with the vet Ross died. I won't go into details but it was painful and horrible. If you can save Henry from that and give him a kind way out, that means everything.

Hugs for you and Henry

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am so sorry that you and henry are going through this.

My experience was a little different. Agnes had HCM and CHF. I am thankful she never experienced a saddle thrombus. She went into kidney failure in the end due to the diuretics that were prescribed to keep the fluid off her heart.

In the end it is a very personal decision that you alone can make. I have always heart that they will let you know when they are ready and I never understood it until I had to euthanize a few of my pets. Each one was for different reasons but they do let you know.

sending comforting hugs to you

Sheldon13

Staff member
My Ellie passed from heart failure. I did not get to make the choice to euthanize her and I wish I had that chance. She died naturally and though I know she was likely not aware of much in the end, it was difficult to go through it with her.

That being said…she was giving me signs she was ready and I failed to listen to those signs until about 12 hours before her passing, which was much too late to find someone to euthanize her. It sounds like your handsome boy is not giving you those signs yet. Have you discussed palliative care with your vet? That might be another option. The focus is placed more on comfort and less on survival.

We are all here with you to walk through this experience together. We can share the ups and the downs with you, if you like. The downs sure are rough, but they are small in number compared to the so many good things about having that little boy in your life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am so sorry to hear you are going through this . Henry only knows your love and the love he feels for you, thankfully uncomplicated by worries about tomorrow, guilt and the other worries that haunt us . I lost my Wilson to HCM complications last June. He died suddenly in my arms of cardiac arrest.It was ( and still is ) very traumatising for us but for him I have come to realise it was probably the best way and I am thankful that I didn't have to make the decision . That morning he was still playing, eating and happy.. I had often given a lot of thought to what would be the right time and circumstances. I agree with your vet and the comments of other members in the sense that its all about quality of life,, in that sense you will just know in your heart when its time and that is burn out of your love for him. I do also know how expensive the treatments for this condition can be and the financial toll it takes . Whatever your decision just know you are not alone. Many members will be able to relate to your circumstances . Sending hugs for you and Henry

Back