Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Freeze Dried

Duglynukem

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Cleo will eat anything you put in front of her. Her poop was runny and the smell could clear a room. After reading through results of feeding raw from many of the members here we decided to give it a try. We kept her on the canned food the breeder was using and decided to transition to raw about two weeks ago. We opted for the freeze dried (Stella & Chewy) because it is convenient to store and easy to prepare. (Convenient not cheap) Cleo gobbles this down as if She hasn't eaten in a week. She is still getting a small portion of the canned food mixed in but the difference is remarkable. She seems to have plenty of energy, her poop is no longer runny and she only goes once a day. The odor has abated quite a bit as well.

So far so good.

TheZu

Lairian
What a great testimony! Praying things stay good for her tummy :) Love when we can find what works for our pets.

I've never fed raw either to any pets I've ever owned (and currently don't own any but waiting for gotcha day!) But research made me interested to try with our future Sphynx. Then, when I found a Sphynx breeder that I liked and was in my area, I found out she fed raw and that settled it. Right now I'm researching treats, I want to see if I can make my own.

Duglynukem

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
What a great testimony! Praying things stay good for her tummy :) Love when we can find what works for our pets.

I've never fed raw either to any pets I've ever owned (and currently don't own any but waiting for gotcha day!) But research made me interested to try with our future Sphynx. Then, when I found a Sphynx breeder that I liked and was in my area, I found out she fed raw and that settled it. Right now I'm researching treats, I want to see if I can make my own.

We didn't want to change her diet from what the breeder was using until she was about a year old but decided 9 months old was close enough.

TheZu

Lairian
We didn't want to change her diet from what the breeder was using until she was about a year old but decided 9 months old was close enough.
Yeah, I totally get that. My cat when we get her will be eating the exact same raw food diet as the breeder too. She gets it from a local woman (I believe it's a family member) who makes it herself. She's been using it for her cattery for years, I'll be buying direct from the source. I eventually want to see about possibly making my own as well, but I too would want to wait to switch up until she's older and more settled.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Congrats; that's awesome. For some cats, raw can make a huge difference. I find that most Sphynx have a bizarre intestinal system.

I transitioned mine to raw after about a month on the breeder's diet and haven't looked back since. I use minced meat plus Better in the Raw.

Duglynukem

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Update: Cleo got up one morning and decided she doesn't like Stella and Chewy's anymore. I recently ordered two bags of Chicken ($80) that are now sitting in the cupboard. I ordered a couple more bags ($80) one turkey and one duck, she wouldn't even look at it. Went to the pet store and picked up Instinct Raw ($7), nope won't touch it! She is still eating the kibble so she is still getting plenty to eat, just nothing raw.

Stopped by the grocery store and picked up Fancy Feast 49 cents/ can and she gobbles it down. What gives?

Yoda mom

Staff member
Oh my Cleo .. Particular palate now

I used to feed Gunnar Stella and chewys - he got tired of it too

If you Purchased theu chewy you can call to return it .
If purchased from local store I would call amd see what their return policy is

My kitties weren't found of stellacamd chewys - but they loooove
Nutrisource cat and kitten kibble ( I like no recalls ) amd no skin or poo issues

Something about fancy feast lol
I gave a shared can as a bday treat

Now I simplified after many food trials attempts and feed what works
They wouldn't eat instinct raw either .

I like the Stella and chewys be as but the novelty wore off here too

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yup they can get bored. About a year ago I thought I would save money for a while and just feed chicken. Wrong. After several weeks one of my cats decided she'd had enough and wouldn't eat. I ended up having to buy cans of Fancy Feast for her until a shipment of rabbit from Hare Today arrived. Now we're back to rotating different meats and she's fine eating chicken again. It just can't be the only thing.

Agree on the freeze dried....very pricey. I spend on frozen grinds so I don't have to do the grinding but it's still cheaper than freeze dried.

TheZu

Lairian
Oh, one trick I read online is to use the Kibble as a bit of seasoning on the raw food. Maybe this way you can get her to eat all that raw you purchased so it does not go to waste, and then perhaps you might be able to switch flavours?

Basically, you just crush up a bunch of kibble, put the raw out fairly thin on tbeir platter then sprinkle the crushed kibble on top like a seasoning.

Duglynukem

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
1259A37C-0F10-4B12-8664-9F16C47FAE25.jpeg
I tried several methods to hide the raw but she won’t touch it.

Cleo does like prosciutto as you can see in the pic.

lapril

Lairian
Ezio and Clementine LOVE stella and chewy's. Its very expensive though.
Stella and Chewy's 18oz bag--2 per week @ $40 each= $320/month--yikes!
Our staple is The Honest Kitchen. It's much more affordable with the same benefits of freeze dried
The Honest Kitchen 4lb box- 2 per month @ $40 each= $80/month--MUCH BETTER!

The drawback about The Honest Kitchen is that it only comes in one protein-chicken. I like to diversify their diet so I still buy Stella and Chewy's once per month and end up spending between $150-$200 per month on food.

Oh-- and my babies have HORRIBLE diarrhea when they eat anything other than raw or freeze dried raw. Even too many treats will mess with their little tummies. I told my hubby that either he can pay a lot for cat food or smell boo boo every day. He chose the cat food :)

Back