Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Fun Friday Cat Fact of the Day 10-22-21

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
80b7040010887dc8e2828374e961bcd6.jpg

The anal glands which are actually sacs are two small pouches located on either side of the anus at approximately the four o'clock and eight o'clock positions. The walls of the sacs are lined with a large number of sebaceous (sweat) glands that produce a very stinky smelling fluid. The fluid may be liquid or sticky, and vary in color usually of yellow to dark brown. To humans this liquid smells disgusting… for cats this odor is very important and is a kind of identification for them. Anal glands serve a purpose by being one of many ways a cat can mark its territory and make their presence known to other animals. Cats have the ability to manually express their anal glands when startled or threatened. Some of you may have even experienced this when bathing your cat and they got highly excited or frightened and they squirted the liquid out.

When a cat poops it naturally applies pressure to these balloon-like anal sacs, allowing the fluid within the glands to be squeezed and excreted naturally. A problem can happen when these glands become clogged and the fluid cannot be pressed out naturally when pooping. The glands can become impacted, and this can lead to constipation and in some cases interfere with normal litter box usage. Some signs to look for are scooting or dragging their butt along the ground, licking or biting at the rectum/tail area, or redness to anal area. Impacted glands are very painful and need a vet visit to avoid having them rupture.

Happy Friday Lairians

Sheldon13

Staff member
I wonder if they can be digitally expressed in the same way as dogs? I used to work for a vet in my teenage years and expressing the glands was part of the bathing process.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
As bad as the smell can be, I welcome it because when Raphael’s poop doesn‘t stink then I know she is having anal gland issues. Plus she starts to lick her butt a lot and she becomes quite aggressive. This happens a few times a year. Then I take her to the vet to get her glands done. I don’t go into the room with her while the vet is doing this. I know it is uncomfortable for Raphael but I don’t think the vet needs the pressure of an anxious cat mom hovering.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I opened this thread and was shocked to see boy sphynx bits - I have only seen girls so …

Anyway information is great I remember this anal issue.

Speaking of bottoms when wiping butts after pooping with wipes do the boy bits get in the way or cause pain in the wiping process?

Only dealt with girls.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think I’ve had Raven squirt her glands at me a few times before. I’ve never known what it is but now I do! It’s always been when she’s really excited/happy and doing happy tail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheldon13

Staff member
Lol @Bailey21 really? When she’s happy? Both of mine definitely drool on me when they are happy so I guess sharing body fluid is just a sign of contentment!

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Last edited:
Back