Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Goopy eye

skunkfoot

Lairian
Joined
Jan 14, 2014
Messages
255
Points
91
Kylo has had one goopy eye for the last few weeks. The vet gave us eye drops to use for 10 days every 12 hours. After the 10 days it was seemingly better, but today it has come back! I also noticed that Spaghetti has watery eyes and fear the goop will start in on him soon as well. Back to the vet we go? Anyone know what we might be dealing with here? Lysine hasn't been working much in poor Kylo's favor.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Toa and Ross

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 23, 2015
Messages
34,030
Points
643
Sorry to hear Kylo has a goopy eye again. My boy Toa and my girl Jade do have eye issues too. For Toa I have eye drops and for Jade eye ointment. Both work well and do solve the goopy eye as long as I use it. When I stop using it after a few days, or sometimes with some luck a few weeks, it comes back. When I start the treatment again it goes away. Vet did several test, also allergy test for inhalents, but no allergy for know. What I do now is clean their eyes with a cottonball and water everyday and start the treatment as soon as their eye problem starts.

Going back to the vet to do some more test and try another treatment is always a good idea of course!

Healing vibes to Kylo and Spaghetti.
 

skunkfoot

Lairian
Joined
Jan 14, 2014
Messages
255
Points
91
Sorry to hear Kylo has a goopy eye again. My boy Toa and my girl Jade do have eye issues too. For Toa I have eye drops and for Jade eye ointment. Both work well and do solve the goopy eye as long as I use it. When I stop using it after a few days, or sometimes with some luck a few weeks, it comes back. When I start the treatment again it goes away. Vet did several test, also allergy test for inhalents, but no allergy for know. What I do now is clean their eyes with a cottonball and water everyday and start the treatment as soon as their eye problem starts.

Going back to the vet to do some more test and try another treatment is always a good idea of course!

Healing vibes to Kylo and Spaghetti.

Ah, sorry to hear you guys are experiencing the same problem! How frustrating that they couldn't come up with an answer do you. Uncomfortable for the nakids I'm sure :(
I will continue to clean and use his drops that we still have and then I suppose back to the vet we go on Monday haha.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 16, 2011
Messages
37,745
Points
673
Sorry to hear. I would ask your vet to do a PCR test if they have not already. They will swab the eye goop. This test should narrow it down to what you are dealing with unless it is allergies.

Patti
 

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 13, 2009
Messages
23,722
Points
643
Kylo has had one goopy eye for the last few weeks. The vet gave us eye drops to use for 10 days every 12 hours. After the 10 days it was seemingly better, but today it has come back! I also noticed that Spaghetti has watery eyes and fear the goop will start in on him soon as well. Back to the vet we go? Anyone know what we might be dealing with here? Lysine hasn't been working much in poor Kylo's favor.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Has Feline Herpes been ruled out?
 

Yoda mom

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 23, 2012
Messages
30,608
Points
653
@skunkfoot , healing vibes sent to Kylo amd Spaghetti
Great advice given

I keep Terramycin eye ointment , Vetericyn VF eye wash , and Chlor tabs ( Walmart brand for seasonal allergies )
For any eye stuff
I would ask your vet if these products would be good to include in your kitty kit

Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment | Terramycin eye ointment
My adoptee came with a tube of this - very good stuff-
Another member posted good results with it too rcemtly

Buy Vetericyn VF Plus All Animal Ophthalmic Wash 2 Oz for pets

The Chlor tabs my vet prescribed for my crew that had seasonal allergies last month -
Worked wonders
 

Attachments

  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2013
Messages
12,083
Points
653
@skunkfoot sorry to hear you are dealing with this on top of Spaghetti's recent problem. Hugs!

What color is this eye goop? I have always seen eye goop here since four out of five of my babies don't have hairy faces, their oils land up in their eyes and there is a brownish tint to the eye goop.

Twice a day I clean their eyes here every single day. I use a cotton ball with warm water completely wrung out and wipe down their eyes.

One of my boys in particular has very bad ongoing eye issues. There is swelling and pus occasionally. What helps with that is usually Terramycin eye ointment. If it's really bad I alternate with Oflaxacin eye drops and when it's really, really, really bad I have to put him on Doxy antibiotics orally. Just recently I began using a steroid eye drop and I'm having the most amazing results!

L-Lysine should be given each day, but when there is a herpes flare-up or a URI, the dose should be doubled until they are feeling all better. Two of my vets told me to do that and I even called the L-Lysine ppl to discuss this as well.

If nothing is wrong with their health and the eye goop is that brownish color, then try to keep their head and face clean all the time by wiping it down twice a day with a soft washcloth and warm water in order to keep the oils from their head and ears from getting into the eye.
 

skunkfoot

Lairian
Joined
Jan 14, 2014
Messages
255
Points
91
@skunkfoot sorry to hear you are dealing with this on top of Spaghetti's recent problem. Hugs!

What color is this eye goop? I have always seen eye goop here since four out of five of my babies don't have hairy faces, their oils land up in their eyes and there is a brownish tint to the eye goop.

Twice a day I clean their eyes here every single day. I use a cotton ball with warm water completely wrung out and wipe down their eyes.

One of my boys in particular has very bad ongoing eye issues. There is swelling and pus occasionally. What helps with that is usually Terramycin eye ointment. If it's really bad I alternate with Oflaxacin eye drops and when it's really, really, really bad I have to put him on Doxy antibiotics orally. Just recently I began using a steroid eye drop and I'm having the most amazing results!

L-Lysine should be given each day, but when there is a herpes flare-up or a URI, the dose should be doubled until they are feeling all better. Two of my vets told me to do that and I even called the L-Lysine ppl to discuss this as well.

If nothing is wrong with their health and the eye goop is that brownish color, then try to keep their head and face clean all the time by wiping it down twice a day with a soft washcloth and warm water in order to keep the oils from their head and ears from getting into the eye.

Kylo's eye goop is greenish colored, so I know something is really up. Nakey hasn't had any color to his goop but his eyes are super watery to the point that it looks like he is crying :(




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2013
Messages
12,083
Points
653
Kylo's eye goop is greenish colored, so I know something is really up. Nakey hasn't had any color to his goop but his eyes are super watery to the point that it looks like he is crying :(




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@skunkfoot that's what one of my boys has...the tears! Even though I have the swelling and infection under control right now, he's got the watery eyes with clear dripping tears rolling down.
 

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2010
Messages
25,203
Points
673
The greenish color, is infection. If you've been treating it for 10
days and it's that color.
The Vet needs to see your baby again. Hope, you get it
under control.
 
Back
Top