Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Gummi update

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Treasurecat had her vet go over Gummi's records as well. He came to the same conclusions as the others, and said it best in the email he sent me, so I wanted to reprint it here, as I know that Gummi has many friends here. So here is the email from Dr. Johnson in Ga:

Well, I like Ridgeway's work up. He sent me the Xrays and I agree with them that there may be something in front of the heart pushing UP on the trachea.
There's a problem or two.

Thymoma is sometimes benign and can be removed. (50% of the time)
So, knowing what it is might make that a possibility. Cracking the chest is never "affordable".

Or, just finding a lump "for sure" with the ultrasound, would let you know that suffering is the almost-exclusive future.
This is because there are no lumps in that location which have happy outcomes other than removal which many would consider overly aggressive.

But there's another fact:
In the young cats, thymoma isn't very common, but in that location, and associated with the thymus, lymphoma/lymphosarcoma IS (in that age).
So as a young cat, with a lump there in the region of the thymus, an actual cancer of a lymphatic type (LSA) is more likely than benign thymoma.

Well that has two implications. More specific care for LSA (possibly including an additional drug) can help.
Or.....realizing (or discovering) that it's a terminal type cancer, release with dignity becomes possible.

See, the alternatives are to watch Gum limp into naught but a dark future.

I would skip all the tests and jump to the 'end of the story' and have the ultrasound run. I bet it's just another $350-$400
And then, if there really is a defined LUMP or MASS there, I would steel myself for the fairest treatment when suffering is obvious; which, in my opinion, would be release from a broken body BEFORE it's pitiful watching her try and make it function.

I am not predicting that.
I am just saying that knowing for sure that ANY sort of mass is there is probably important to knowing that Gummi will or will not be soon-suffering more.

I can answer any question, and try and help. I think you are in good hands with Ridgeway though.

Doc

The US here is 500, and I don't see the point. We can not afford open heart surgery to remove a lump, and truly I don't know if I even want to put her through that. She is responding so well to the prednisone, you would never know she was sick. She is so active, and has solid poop. Her breathing is still a bit raspy, but much much better than it has been. Dr. Ridgeway, (My Vet), feels like this is the best course of treatment for now. Her positive response points also to cancer. She will be loved, and made as comfortable as possible for as long as possible, but we are braced for the suffering to begin, and I know then that there will be difficult decisions to be made.

For now, I am simply loving her.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am really sorry Gummi is so sick.
It really is unfair she got sick so young.
If you decide on the US I know a place that would raise the money for it.
They are going to help me with Cocos bills and burial.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree with your decisions, Gadzukz. I know how much you love Gummi but there aren't many more feasible options that would be fair to her. Keep her comfortable and love her all you can.

AmazonGoddess

Lairian
Your vets sounds like wonderful people. The honesty and openness and the fact they aren't forcing treatment on you and Gummi is wonderful.

However, I really wish it had been a different diagnosis. Your decisions are the right ones but definitely not the easiest.

I hope with all my heart that the current treatment she's on will give her a good amount of time with you so she can give you an entire lifetime of love in whatever time she has left.

Hugs to you and cuddles to the little Gummi one.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you are doing the right thing it sounds like any surgery is just going to add more pain, so loving Gummi is the best thing to do!
Sorry for the road you are going to have to go down, and I know it is never easy. I wish less bumps for you your family and Gummi!

I don't know what to say.

I am so sorry this is happening. Damn it. It just is not fair!

I know you will take the best care of Gummi as you always have and make all of the right coices in her best interest. Love her as much as you can for as long as you can. Enjoy every second of her silly Gumball antics and try not to let what the future may hold cast a dark shadow over the good times that you have with her.

We are here for you so feel free to vent when needed and lean on us when things get difficult. I really wish for things to brighten up for your family soon. You deserve it.

susi794

Staff member
Bronwyn, Gummi has been lucky in her short little life. She has been loved by so many people, but especially by you and your family. She has Truth and Dare to play with and all the other animals in your home to love on and play with. She has been blessed with many things. I am so terribly sorry and I can't even imagine life without Gummi and she isn't even mine. But I believe you are doing the best thing for Gummers. To continuously torture her with things that have little to no chance of curing her, but only serve to prolong a miserable life isn't what any of us hope for Gummi Bare. We can all love her for as long as we can....and we will all grieve her when she is gone. But the decisions you make are yours alone to make. I am certain that everyone here will respect your right to make them. You have already proven you are a kind and loving momma to her. I just pray that the prednisone works for a long time yet, but that when the time comes that it doesn't, you will give her the last and most loving gift that you can and help her ease across the bridge on the wings of your love. I have every confidence that you will handle it perfectly.
With much love,
Susi and the gang

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think you're a great momma! and you are doing the best for your kitty. and ultra sound wouldn't provide much... it'd all be the same outcome. i agree, LOTS of love... lots of spoiling... and lots of snuggles. enjoy your time with her.
i'm so sorry your are going through this. i truly can relate.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I just couldn't imagine! I'm so sorry your going through all of this and that Gummi is so sick. I'm glad she is having a positive response to the steriods.
I too feel you have made the right decision for now and loving her is the best thing for right now. We are here for you should ever feel the need to vent or what not. Lots of love and prayers from us..........
Christina, Snuffie & SoBe!!

Inferno12

Banned
Now that I have had a few drinks, I can reply to this post......

Bronwyn, you have done such an amazing job with Gummi. I think she was put in your life for a reason. She needed someone like you to care for her in her very short but amazing life. She has touched so many of us because of you and she has had the life she has had because of you. As odd as this might seem I think this is good news. This is good because you can finally know her future and care for her the way she deserves. You can finally stop all the crazy testing and financially you can have a break. you can concentrate on making her happy which is what you and your family (two and four legged) do. You guys are amazing and you will give her the best life that she could ever have. Give Gummi lots of love from me and make sure you take care of yourself at the same time. You have done wonders for this little girl and you will be repaid in the future. Just remember that you two were matched up for a reason.

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think you are making a good knowledgeable choice with both your head and heart. Gummi will never know anything but a loving home. She feels your love and concern every minute. What an amazing gift you are giving her. You are a great mommy.

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Just keep on doing what you are doing....giving her all the love she could ever want!! When it is time for her to cross the bridge, she will feel all the love and go happy. Big Hugs sent from Lemmy and me.

cchloerun

Banned
I am so, so sorry. I know there isn't much that will help put your heart at ease, but please know that you are doing everything you can and giving Gummi what she needs. You are an amazing mom! I know it's easy for me to say, but please try not to let your heart be too heavy right now. When the day comes that you have to say "goodbye", remember that it is only "see you later". Love her, as you are, and know the two of you really wont ever be separated. Sending love and holding you both in my prayers <3

MikkiJean

Lairian
It really breaks my heart to come back to the Lair after my hiatus and read this. I am so sorry to hear about Gummi's diagnosis. My thoughts are with you and your family. Just love on your little Gummi Bare for as long as you can, you are a wonderful mommy!

Back