Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Heart murmur...now what?

Castiel

Lairian
Hi I need some advice please. I took my 3 year old to vet last night for booster and was told he had a stage 2-3 murmur!
I am so devastated and wonder how this was not picked up 12 months ago. I have standard pet insurance and he suggested to get a scan ASAP to investigate but he had to write on notes and that no insurer would cover the cost of the scan now. Also at that visit he took my other pet marty (jack russell)to cut his nails out the back and forgot to give him his booster! Can anyone please give me any help as I think its either money making scheme or incompetence.
Hi, thanks for your reply. The vet rated it 2-3, but he is 3 years old and nothing has been picked up until last night. I have contacted the breeder who I also consider a friend and no heart conditions in parents or any of his siblings. My husband is taking our Jack Russell back to the vet on Thursday to give his his booster which is what I took him for last night bit it was not given. I have asked for the same vet and my husband wants to talk to him about Castiel and see what the hell is going on. I want a second opinion from another vet in the practice. It's either money making wanting a scan or it's been missed previously. This is strange as nothing last time and now this which is very unlikely to come out of the blue at stage 2-3.
Thanks for your kindness in your response.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Murmurs can sound louder if cats are very afraid/nervous. Having a murmur is a great indicator to get a heart scan…murmurs only present themselves in about 50% heart issues, so stay positive. The other 50% with heart issues never present a murmur and their humans never knew an issue until it was too late. The scan is truly the only way to see how the heart is functioning. @Castiel

Castiel

Lairian
Murmurs can sound louder if cats are very afraid/nervous. Having a murmur is a great indicator to get a heart scan…murmurs only present themselves in about 50% heart issues, so stay positive. The other 50% with heart issues never present a murmur and their humans never knew an issue until it was too late. The scan is truly the only way to see how the heart is functioning. @Castiel
Thanks for your advice, I will speak to the vet and see what they say. I'm trying to stay positive, he's my world so I need to be safe and investigate this thoroughly.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Castiel , echoing what catzzzmeow replied.

please keep us updated often.
my 11 mos old had an audible murmur in office during a vet check. vet told me the grading is subjective to the vet . on recheck no murmur detected, his was stress related he is 10 yrs old now.
My other boy at age 2 same vet said audible murmur grade 3. he lived a long healthy fun life nearly a decade without issues.

stay positive! we are here for you! hugs n head smooches
keep us updated often

Back