Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Heart scans coming up

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We have heart scans coming up on february the 18:th. We have to travel to a nearby city to get it done. I get to take a day off work. I just know it'll be a challenge just getting all three of them in the car. I know I'm scared because of past experience but keep fingers crossed for Siiri, Ville and Esso on this day! I'll keep you posted.

/Zab

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Positive vibes sent your way! How do you travel with the trio - are they in separate carriers, or do you have those cat/dog car seat belt thingies?

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Positive vibes sent your way! How do you travel with the trio - are they in separate carriers, or do you have those cat/dog car seat belt thingies?
Actually I have two different carriers. One big one for the boys, they travel together and one smaller for Siiri, the primadonna. I fasten them in the car back seat with the belt. Usually I stuff the carriers with blankets and wheat warmers and then the kids gets a warm sweather to wear. I just hope it's not too cold on that day. The car ride is only 15 minutes. I don't know if I should bring a small litterbox too?

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
How long will each scan take? Are they being sedated? I don't mean anaestatised, just heard some vets will give a "chill pill" if the cat won't stay still enough :confused: If it's no more than a couple of hours in total, my guess is they can wait for the toilet until they get home :) Good news about Esso's litter brother!

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
All ours paws will be crossed for fantastic results! I know how stressful it can be. I would say a litter box isn't necessary if you have an actual appointment. Usually the scans only take 5 minutes each. My last follow up scan with Finn, they told me to come at 9 am. So we get there, Finn's in my Daba Doo pouch, and the cardiologist didn't arrive until noon!! I almost up and left because I was so angry. They didn't tell me the cardiologist had a "window" of morning-late afternoon to arrive.

Now I wish I would've brought a litter box that day because I'm sure he had to go after 3 hours of waiting in the lobby.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
How long will each scan take? Are they being sedated? I don't mean anaestatised, just heard some vets will give a "chill pill" if the cat won't stay still enough :confused: If it's no more than a couple of hours in total, my guess is they can wait for the toilet until they get home :) Good news about Esso's litter brother!
I asked about the procedure on the phone and the cardio vet is well known in these parts, apparently does research on HCM. I've met her some years ago when my boy Ossi was diagnosed. She is cold and efficient, very professional and good in her field of expertise. Thank god there are other nurses that loves the animals participating. I get to be there too, to hold them. There will not be any kind of sedation if not needed. She explained that the cat is held down on his side and if that doesn't work she can scan while the cat stands up. They said that two hours reserved for three cats but usually it only takes 15 min, depends on the cat too. I think at least one of the three will be stressed, one will be curious and the third usually flirts with strangers...

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
All ours paws will be crossed for fantastic results! I know how stressful it can be. I would say a litter box isn't necessary if you have an actual appointment. Usually the scans only take 5 minutes each. My last follow up scan with Finn, they told me to come at 9 am. So we get there, Finn's in my Daba Doo pouch, and the cardiologist didn't arrive until noon!! I almost up and left because I was so angry. They didn't tell me the cardiologist had a "window" of morning-late afternoon to arrive.

Now I wish I would've brought a litter box that day because I'm sure he had to go after 3 hours of waiting in the lobby.
In Sweden they put a litterbox in the appointment room just in case they need to go, I kinda like that. So if someone pees it's due to stress, 15 min in the car is nothing.
Horrible experience for you and Finn! I would be so pissed off too...
What is a Daba Doo pouch???

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm going to guess Siiri will be the stressed one, Ville will be curious and Esso is the flirter?

My experience was Raven was awful (it took me and a tech to hold her, she howled the entire time and had to wear a cone), Yoda was an angel as always and Finn wasn't impressed at all, he growled a few times because he didn't appreciate the cold ultrasound jelly at all.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm going to guess Siiri will be the stressed one, Ville will be curious and Esso is the flirter?

My experience was Raven was awful (it took me and a tech to hold her, she howled the entire time and had to wear a cone), Yoda was an angel as always and Finn wasn't impressed at all, he growled a few times because he didn't appreciate the cold ultrasound jelly at all.
Ville will be curious, Siiri the flirter and Esso stressed....maybe I should bring the soft doughnut cone with me then?

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The Daba Doo pouch is like a kangaroo pouch I wear that clips in at my back and the kitty sits in the front pouch in a blankie, I got one after seeing @Catzzzmeow with one! They work like a charm, I find they're so much less stressed in a pouch compared to a cage since they are less confined, but can still be clipped in! Here's the link with photos so you can see what I mean: Companion Pack

The soft donut cone would be a great idea to bring, just in case! You never know how they'll react.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Got a pic of Esso's brother Tazz today, can you see the similarities? (Esso first)
esso2.JPG

Tazz.JPG

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Wow, that's outrageous! I would have been totally fuming as well :mad:

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The Daba Doo pouch is like a kangaroo pouch I wear that clips in at my back and the kitty sits in the front pouch in a blankie, I got one after seeing @Catzzzmeow with one! They work like a charm, I find they're so much less stressed in a pouch compared to a cage since they are less confined, but can still be clipped in! Here's the link with photos so you can see what I mean: Companion Pack

The soft donut cone would be a great idea to bring, just in case! You never know how they'll react.
I like that Daba Doo pouch! I gotta google and see if one could be bought from my side of the world... then again, I do have an aunt and cousins living in Trenton Ontario.... ;)

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Those look great, and I also much prefer to take my boys to the vet in something like that then in a carrier (I have a pet bag/sling with a shoulder strap). Most times the staff haven't said anything about it when we've been sat in the waiting room, but on a couple of occasions they wanted to go get me one of their cages/carriers for health and safety, in case a dog lunged at us! Managed to avoid that though...

Back