Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Heat

firehillqueen

Banned
Ciel is in the middle of her second heat and Chimere' just finished hers. It has been decades since I owned an unaltered cat of either gender. Frankly I had forgotten how these poor females act. Poor Cadeau has been locked away from his sister and playmate and is getting a little frustrated to say the least. Of course the girls did not come into heat the same day, but have staggered out our misery. Chimere's first heat didn't seem to last a full week, this is Ciel's second time and it feels like it is going on forever. I am seriously considering NOT having kittens at all. * laugh *
I have a breeding promised from Elisabeth ( the breeder ) for Ciel but I do not want to bred her in her first year. Elizabeth also wants a kitten from Cadeau and Chimere'. She says she has always wanted an odd-eyed female.
With the down economy I worry if it will effect the sale of Sphynx kittens to good homes.
There is so much to consider before just throwing a male and female together to produce kittens. The good news is Elizabeth informed me that the scans are all clear for the grandparents and parents of Ciel and Cadeau.
Decisions... decision...

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I once had a female that went in heat for 6 months straight no joking.
You better watch that boy he will start spraying everything.
Many breeders have had to lower prices because many people can not pay the asking price for a sphynx.
Wrinkles breeder sells her kittens for $15oo and has a waiting list for her kittens.
Other breeders can not even sell 1 kitten.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I commend you for not wanting to breed a female under a year old. But you may risk her health by trying to drag it out that long. A queen that's allowed to cycle frequently and hard will drop weight. And she runs the more ominous risk of pyometra. I used to breed Maine Coons and once had a 9 month old virgin queen get it - a common misconception is that only girls who have been previously bred can get it but that isn't true. Being in heat makes the vulva swollen and very moist and turns it into a prime breeding ground for bacteria - and it's exposed to bacteria every time she sits down or goes to the litterbox. (And that bacteria has nothing to do with being a bad housekeeper or having a dirty litterbox; it's everywhere and there's nothing you can do about it).

I would discuss this issue with the breeder(s) of Chimere and Ciel and your vet. See what they recommend. If a girl is healthy, physically mature, and cycling hard, it may be better to breed her even though she isn't a year old.

I don't have any advice for you as far as whether or not you should breed or how the economy is affecting kitten sales, sorry. But I do remember that having whole cats was a right royal pain in the backside at times!

firehillqueen

Banned
I will take your advice to heart and call my breeder. I think I will get my breeding for Ciel and bred Cadeau and Chimere ONCE and get all fixed! I promised pick of the litter of both to Elisabeth and will keep one for myself to show. I think that is all I can handle. I dont want to be snowed under with kittens and no one who will give them a loving forever home.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This is one of the reasons I can not be a breeder. I tell my Mom (that lives with me) to be nice to me (as a joke - I love her) or in her next life she will be the owner of 5 siamese cat that are always in heat.:LOL::LOL:

Back