Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hello from a Future Sphynx Owner

jenxii2

Lairian
Hi all. Not a sphynx owner yet but plan to be. It has taken me years to get my husband to agree, he is not a lover himself. I plan to find a retired breeder or rescue and know it may take a while so I have started searching. I also want to learn a bit more about them. Not sure if I will get one while my baby is still with us (I have an 18 year old beauty... non spyhnx/domestic cat... who is not in the best of health). She is not an animal lover but has adjusted to our two pups and I do wonder sometimes if some cat company (the right one) would be good for her. We foster and will soon foster for a rescue that will allow us to comingle our animals so that will be helpful in making the decision.
I'm from NJ. Any info that would be helpful is much appreciated!!!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have a 17.5 year old cat with a lot of problems and I have a new sphynx coming this week.
Be careful fostering with a older cat in the house you can bring alot of germs in.
I used to rescue feral cats but had to stop because of the risks to my other cats.
Good Luck getting a sphynx.
They are very friendly cats.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Jenxii,
Congrats on getting the hubby to agree. It took me a while to get Jason to agree and we have 3 now. He swore he'd never love a cat.
As long as the cats have been tested for feline leukemia, feline aids and have had at very least their rabies and FVRCP vaccinations, your older companion should be safe against disease. Having said that, it may be a very wise decision to wait because extra stress can shorten the life of an ill pet.
New Jersey seems to get a fair run of adoptable sphynx. I've seen 5 in rescue since February. There's a couple available now: http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14092815. Try petfinder.com and online sphynx rescue resources when looking for an adoptable companion. It's extremely important to have these babies HCM screened even if you don't intend to breed. This breed carries a predisposition for a very severe and deadly heart condition. Speak with your veterinarian about the cost of a cardiac ultrasound. You may also look into local cat shows, some offer HCM screening for a reduced price.

Best of luck!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jenxii2 and welcome to Sphynx Lair! I wish you well in getting your new Sphynx and the good news is there is plenty of Sphynx goodies on this site and great people to ask questions too. Please keep us posted on any updates of your new Sphynx! Thanks for joining!:ThumbsUp::Laugh:

harley

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Congrats... on getting your husband to agree to adopting a Sphynx. My husband was also aginst it, but now him and Harley are buddies. I have even caught him sneeking him food off his plate. We also are in the process of getting 3 more and he acutlly picked one of them for his pet. I spent the better part of a year learning and finding the right breeder for Harley and have been over the moon happy with my decison. So I wish you the best of luck. I know what it is like to love and be loved by such a great animal and wish it for you too.:ThumbsUp:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi Jenxii2! I understand your situation- - I live with my boyfriend and while he was never against getting a sphynx, he was never as enthusiastic as I would've liked him to be. I will be picking up my baby in 3 weeks so we will see if he falls in love at first site like I will or if it will take some time. :Laugh:

Anyway, congrats on deciding on a sphynx! I've found more info than I could've ever hoped to find on my own here on Sphynx Lair. I find myself consulting the forum before making any important decisions that will involve my new baby! :ThumbsUp:

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Congrats!! My husband and I just got our first a month ago and we are both in love with hime!! Your going to be so happy!!! :ThumbsUp:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You can not just have one sphynx.
My 2nd sphynx is coming tomorrow and I can not wait to gte her.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Gullivers Keeper, welcome to Sphynx lair! I hope you have a great sphynx story to tell us
! your Sphynx is a cutie! Great eyes!:Laugh::ThumbsUp:

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Welcome! I'm sure as you can see we are all a little crazy about our cats... you will have a second in no time!

ZoniaLee

Lairian
I live in South Louisiana and I am looking to rescue a Sphynx too. If anyone knows of one or more available I would love to have one or more.

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome! Welcome! Just a word of warning! You will never be able to settle for anything else! My hubby was resistant but resigned when I got my 1st one 5 yrs ago but she soon won him over. The sphynx will work their magic on him. You might want to watch the breeder sites for a retired breeder. They are a good fit for some.

Back