Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hello from England

chibi-neko

Lairian
Hi all

I'm Jayne and I live in the Midlands area of England.I'm hoping for help and advice as I have just taken on a sphynx/bengal F1 cross and next year if she is suitable I would like to mate her to a sphynx stud to progress to F2.

I also keep/breed siamese and orientals but this is my first foray into the Sphynx breed - I am a huge fan though so I am quite excited about my new girl,even though she is of course fully coated and does not resemble her mommy at all!

I am speaking to TICA about registrations etc. (mom is TICA,dad is GCCF) but I am very much working in the dark as I have no real knowledge of outcrossing,although I do understand the genetics which helps.I know that the bengal is not a recognised outcross so I'm expecting a few problems and no doubt lots of negative comments from some breeders,but hopefully a few people will help.

So hello from me and little Bynx - I look forward to 'meeting' you all.

bynx016.jpg

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi I am also from England, in the North West and I own a bengal girl who is 8 months old and a sphynx who is 1yr!!! She is gorgeous!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi, your little girl sure is a cutie! Her ears look like sphynx ears to me!

Welcome to the forum :BigSmile:.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yep she has got sphynx ears coz my bengal girl has tiny ears compared to hers! Bynx looks very pretty.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to Sphynx Lair.
You are right Bengals are not a allowable outcross.
I might breed sphynx in 2 years.
I still have a lot to learn.
One of the sphynx I show is a American Shorthair outcross.
She is the on ein my sig and avatar.
You are right some people will bash you.

PitRottMommy

Banned
I think something that is very notable in this venture, chibi-neko, is to realize that alot of people bash Bengals because you have little to judge on--but their markings. It's alot like telling someone you like a make of car--just because of its color. Outcrossing to get a bengal marking on a sphynx cat may be of moot effort, especially since most bengals aren't really light on really dark (light to dark ratios appear the most prominent on sphynx because they lack hair, tuxedo cats are an example) and most adults show faded color anyhow.

The best recommendation I can make for you is to start out with solid lines. You need to be HCM screening your cats, having them tested for feline leukemia and feline aids before starting your breeding venture. Sphynx have been bred for years without regard to cardiac health, and we've finally made it to a point where cats are dying off of health issues before they're 6 months of age. It's the worst thing any sphynx breeder could possibly do to these cats. When health no longer matters, but simply what the cat LOOKS like, we all lose. Be responsible about this venture and fewer people will bash you.

That being said, TICA currently only accepts outcrosses of American Shorthairs and Devon Rexes. I think there's going to be a large leap to be made for someone to accept a bengal into acceptable outcrosses. Especially since type isn't so important as are the markings.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I recognize her from the British pet forum, where they discussed the classifieds selling the kitten (I was the one who mentioned that there was a couple of American breeders starting Sphynx/ Bengal outcrosses)

Just my opinion, but I believe outcrossing should be about strengthening genetics and not just to make a new colour, which is what this outcross is about really. I also don't agree with bambino's etc, outcrossing to produce short legs isn't about strengthening genetics or improving health, but that's just my personal opinion.

Please do your research so you can see why certain outcrosses are used and what outcrossing is about. Good breeders are trying to breed healthier Sphynx not certain colours.

She's a pretty girl, congrats on your first Sphynx/ cross, if she has the personality you'll soon find out why lots of people think they are amazing cats.

ETA;
While i'm offering my opinion :LOL: You've only just bought her home, you haven't to my knowledge had a Sphynx before and you have no idea how she's going to mature (personality/ health/ looks) I think its a little premature to be planning/ hoping to breed her as soon as she hits 1yr old. Research, research, research and then hopefully more research. I do wonder what type of Sphynx breeders in England will offer you a stud in a years time, again, just my opinion.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Devon Rex are no longer allowed as outcrosses in CFA because tHereditary spasticity and Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (a genetic heart defect) were introduced by the Devon Rex breed.
CFA allows American Shorthair and Domestic Shorthair outcrosses.
This has a lot of info on the old lines of sphynx.
http://www.sphynx-cat.org/breedinfo.htm
You can not just breed sphynx.
That is why I am going slow and showing.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Chebi-neko and welcome to Sphynxlair! What a cutie! good luck with your venture, as said before research!:Wink:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think something that is very notable in this venture, chibi-neko, is to realize that alot of people bash Bengals because you have little to judge on--but their markings. It's alot like telling someone you like a make of car--just because of its color. Outcrossing to get a bengal marking on a sphynx cat may be of moot effort, especially since most bengals aren't really light on really dark (light to dark ratios appear the most prominent on sphynx because they lack hair, tuxedo cats are an example) and most adults show faded color anyhow.

A little harsh. I have a bengal girl and there is a lot more to her than just her markings!!!

chibi-neko

Lairian
Hi all,Jayne here again.Thanks for your comments,some very interesting points have been raised.

It's very difficult to join a forum and post your maiden thread knowing it is about a contentious issue such as this.I'm a pacifist by nature and hate any confrontation but I decided that I would not keep Bynx as a 'dirty little secret' and would be open and upfront about her from the outset.

It is my intention to spend the next months researching,reading,speaking to people and generally picking up as much information as I can.Bynx is of course a tiny kitten so I will not have to make any decisions for a long time and then it will be strictly IF she grows and develops into a strong healthy girl,she will of course have all the necessary health tests carried out by my vet.

If at any time for any reason I decide not to go ahead she will be spayed,and she can be 'auntie' to my siamese/oriental girls babies instead:BigSmile:

At this point in time any future breeding plans are a possibilty rather than a probabilty but either way she will have a loving home here - she is already proving herself to be a real character lol!

Hopefully as you get to 'know' me you will see that I am a genuine person,not just looking for a quick buck or trying to make a new 'designer' breed - I go on a pet site in the UK where there are plenty of people like that:Angry:

Regardless of her breeding,I hope you'll enjoy watching Bynx as she grows - who knows what her future will bring?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,Jayne here again.Thanks for your comments,some very interesting points have been raised.

It's very difficult to join a forum and post your maiden thread knowing it is about a contentious issue such as this.I'm a pacifist by nature and hate any confrontation but I decided that I would not keep Bynx as a 'dirty little secret' and would be open and upfront about her from the outset.

It is my intention to spend the next months researching,reading,speaking to people and generally picking up as much information as I can.Bynx is of course a tiny kitten so I will not have to make any decisions for a long time and then it will be strictly IF she grows and develops into a strong healthy girl,she will of course have all the necessary health tests carried out by my vet.

If at any time for any reason I decide not to go ahead she will be spayed,and she can be 'auntie' to my siamese/oriental girls babies instead:BigSmile:

At this point in time any future breeding plans are a possibilty rather than a probabilty but either way she will have a loving home here - she is already proving herself to be a real character lol!

Hopefully as you get to 'know' me you will see that I am a genuine person,not just looking for a quick buck or trying to make a new 'designer' breed - I go on a pet site in the UK where there are plenty of people like that:Angry:

Regardless of her breeding,I hope you'll enjoy watching Bynx as she grows - who knows what her future will bring?

Sound like you are doing everything you should with your research and we are glad you have shared your story with us. We look foward to watching your baby grow and to what comes of your program. :Wink:

harley

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:Woo:What a beatiful baby you have there. I am not a breeder nor ever plan to be, that being said , anything that will help strenthen and make these wonderful cats have longer and healthier lives I am all for. My brother has two bengal kittens and they are quite cute. I have four Sphynx cats( all of mine are fixed). I personally look forward to seeing your baby grow and be a beatiful lady. The rest we will see. Good luck and congrats on such a cutie. Welcome.

Back