Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help! I think Jack is sick

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Jack wasn't quite himself last night. He was very quiet and didn't eat his full dinner. Then this morning he didn't get up for breakfast, so I tried some treats, and he didn't eat those either.

He feels warm (more than usual I think) but his temp said 100 F so that's ok. But then I noticed his pupils. They are almost fully dialated. I got a flashlight and when I shined it across his eyes, the pupils didn't contract. Any ideas what might be wrong? I will be calling the vet once they open.

I'm scared.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Kate Glad you are getting to vet ASAP. Not a vet, but could he possibly have gotten into something he should not have eaten? Positive thoughts are sent. Please update us.

Patti

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think he may have gotten into the compost bin a few days ago and taken a bite or two out of an old pork chop, but there wasn't anything poisonous in there.

I am taking him in to the vet today at 2:30. I just have this really terrible feeling ....

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thinking and sending positive thoughts your way!
Hoping everything will be okay, and glad you got a vet appointment today @Kate
Please let us know how it goes. Sending hugs!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kate , we are here for you and Jack with a lair full of positive vibes for his vet visit today
We worry like one of our own - it's the lair family :)

All paws crossed for good news updates -
((( hugs))) n head smooches to Jack

Ps- my Toby got into something yrs ago and was ill
- got him to vet right away like you are -
Got meds and took one X-ray to make sure no obstructions
( vet had me take a picture of the X-ray with my cell phone in case I needed it after hours )

No obstructions, we got medication on board and he was back to himself in a few days
We never knew what exactly ...

Healing vibes that he feels better too soon!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Glad to hear you have an appointment with the vet. Sending a lot of healing vibes to Jack and positive vibes to you.
Please keep us updated!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kate , watching the clock here for your appointmemt time ((hugs)))
How is Jack? Please give him Head smooches and tell him to hurry and feel better!
Hope you get answers and relief

Please update as soon as you can

Last edited:

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi everyone, thank you so very much for the support. It means the world to me and Jack :) Jack hasn't moved an inch since this morning. He's quietly sleeping in his bed. 1.5 hours to go until we leave for the vet ... wish the time would go faster .... I will check in for sure once we get home and give you an update.

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Update - so we are just home from the vet. Jack has a fever of unknown origin and a swollen lymph node on one side of his neck. Everything else seems to be ok. The vet prescribed antibiotics and a shot of pain meds, and also gave him some subcutaneous fluids - that looks so weird in a sphynx :) They also did some blood work. So, will wait for the results on that.
So for now all I can do is keep my eye on him and let him rest. I am hoping that the meds will make him feel well enough to eat a few bites of dinner.

Thanks again everyone for your support.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi everyone, thank you so very much for the support. It means the world to me and Jack :) Jack hasn't moved an inch since this morning. He's quietly sleeping in his bed. 1.5 hours to go until we leave for the vet ... wish the time would go faster .... I will check in for sure once we get home and give you an update.

@Kate, I'm sending positive thoughts and prayers for you and Jack. Hope to hear good news from you soon when you get back from the vet. Hugs!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for updating. Hopefully the fluids and antibiotic will help right away. What antibiotic was prescribed? I know the fluids truly give a Spyhnx a camel back hump...lol. Hoping to hear good news on your next update @Kate.

Patti

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Update - so we are just home from the vet. Jack has a fever of unknown origin and a swollen lymph node on one side of his neck. Everything else seems to be ok. The vet prescribed antibiotics and a shot of pain meds, and also gave him some subcutaneous fluids - that looks so weird in a sphynx :) They also did some blood work. So, will wait for the results on that.
So for now all I can do is keep my eye on him and let him rest. I am hoping that the meds will make him feel well enough to eat a few bites of dinner.

Thanks for the update! Hope the results of the bloodtest will known soon so you know what is causing the fever and the swollen lymph. Fingers and paws crossed that Jack will feel better with the meds and will eat some!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

@Kate, we crossed paths! You posted your update while I was typing out my previous message to you.

Glad to hear the vet gave him fluids and an antibiotic as well as taking blood. All should be covered for now and hopefully the antibiotic and fluids make the fever go away and give him back his appetite.

Wishing you and Jack the best and hope it's nothing. Let us know how he is doing please...will be thinking of him. Hugs.

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Catzzzmeow he was prescribed Clavamox. I know sometimes it doesn't seem to work best for sphynx, but my vet feels confident it's the right choice of medication. I will give it 48 hrs to see if it works and will go from there.

@GoldHazel yes! I noticed that we crossed paths. Thanks for your support. I will keep everyone posted.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Catzzzmeow he was prescribed Clavamox. I know sometimes it doesn't seem to work best for sphynx, but my vet feels confident it's the right choice of medication. I will give it 48 hrs to see if it works and will go from there.

@GoldHazel yes! I noticed that we crossed paths. Thanks for your support. I will keep everyone posted.

Hmm, not a fan of Clavamox for a sphynx. It won't hurt him, it's not like it's dangerous or anything to use Clavamox on a sphynx. It just doesn't work very well on them for some reason. 48 hours seems fair enough compared to waiting 10 days or whenever the medicine is finished. Hopefully he'll be back to himself by tomorrow. Praying for Jack.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Just see how it goes. I will share this, @Kate and @gold hazel. I too have found Clavamox has not been effective in 2 of my 3 nakeds. Last year Azura got a UTI and my vet prescribed Orbax (which I was happy with) well, it did not clear the UTI completely and it came back a couple of weeks later. So back to the vet we went, and he said he was prescribing Clavamox. I shared did it not work well in the past. He looked at her chart and he said Clavamox was prescribed for a URI in the past and yes in some it does not always work well with URI, but it is usually very effective for other things like UTIs.

He said many vets prescribe Orbax because it is easier on the human as it only is administered once a day, where Clavamox has to be given 2 times a day. I remained open minded and yep it took care of her UTI once and for all. So I learned my lesson...just because the antibiotic is not effective in curing one area of the body, it can do the trick in others in some cases. In the past I always shared with the community Clavamox is not effective for all, but now I will be adding not effective for all with a URI. Again it is open communication with your vet and sharing concerns and their knowledge which can be a great combination for our babies.

Patti

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

I'm just checking in. I pRay your baby will be fine in no time.
Keep us updated.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Wow, this was an intense thread to read (I'm a bit behind). So glad all is going to be okay. HUGS My Min was recently given Clavamox, and while it seemed to take a while, has done the trick. I like my vet, but he will listen if need be. If things hadn't cleared with Min, we'd have moved on to the next antibiotic.

Sending you tonnes of healing vibes. Please keep us updated. HUGS

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks for all the positive thoughts! Jack still hasn't moved a muscle, hasn't eaten or drank anything, and hasn't used the litter box all day. He seems to be resting comfortably, and will open his eyes if I talk to him or reach over to pet him. I'm trying to keep him out from under too many blankets, since he's already so hot from his fever :( He isn't pleased with that! My poor boy.

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Awhhhh, poor guy @Kate!
Sending lots of hugs your way.
I really hope he starts to feel better soon!
At least you know he is being hydrated because of the fluids they gave him. I remember Loki had that done one time.
Hope Jack starts to eat soon! <3

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm feeling encouraged this morning! Jack actually got out of bed and went to sit on the heat grate! He's been moving about the house, and is sitting on my chest purring away. He doesn't feel so scalding hot and he's kept all doses of meds down, and I was able to convince him to eat one very small treat (I'm desperate ... I'd feed him anything he'd eat at this point!). So, I'm thinking this is good progress. Hopefully he'll eat a bit of food throughout today :)

Back