Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help, my Sphynx is destroying my house with his teeth!

Fountainrunner

Lairian
My monster will not stop until he's eaten and destroyed ALL of the blinds in my house. First thing he does in the morning when I let him out is attack the blinds and then he spends the rest of the day going from blind to blind eating them. I can't take them all down because I need the privacy but I can't afford to replace them once they're all chewed up. I don't know why he hates the blinds. He fights with everything from the blind rods, slats and cords. I'm at a lost as to what to do.

I already mentioned in another thread that he's starting to destroy the Victorian chairs in the house pulling out their buttons and ripping the fancy trimmings - ugh! Oh, and his cat condo isn't safe either. My living room floor is covered with carpet fibers from the condo because he's pulling them out. I gave him a cardboard box to play inside of but he'd rather chew it up too. When I got him I thought my biggest problem would be him scratching everything up with his claws, however, it's his sharp teeth chewing up everything in sight! And now he seems to be getting more destructive. Please help.

Attachments

• Blinds.jpg
    Blinds.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 53

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:LOL: I'm sorry I'm not much help, but that is just the cutest picture. You can even see the bite marks on the blinds.:Laugh:

Brooke

Banned
How old is he? If he's around 4-6 months, he's teething and he'll be chewing a lot more than normal, but you can buy bitter spray from any pet store, spray it on your blinds (and whatever else he shouldn't put his mouth on) and one taste of it, he should learn not to put his mouth there again!

Hope it works! Every once in a while I hear about a cat that actually likes the taste of the bitter spray, but usually they don't! :LOL:

silly4lilly

Lairian
i agree, try sqwirting him with a water bottle when he is doing something bad and say "TSSS" when you sqwirt him. my male, river kept harassing my female whenever she was eating... we started using the sqwirt bottle on him and he hates when we use it.. but it is getting the job done. we are almost to the point where if he is doing something bad and we say TSSSS without the waterbottle, he will stop doing whatever he was doing because he associates the TSSS with getting wet.

zoes mom

Lairian
Does you're little destroyer have a fur buddy? Maybe he just needs another cat to play around with? I think that bitter apple stuff is a good idea I've tried that before. I'm sure he'll grow out of the worst of it:Smile:

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
How old is he? If he's around 4-6 months, he's teething and he'll be chewing a lot more than normal, but you can buy bitter spray from any pet store, spray it on your blinds (and whatever else he shouldn't put his mouth on) and one taste of it, he should learn not to put his mouth there again!

Hope it works! Every once in a while I hear about a cat that actually likes the taste of the bitter spray, but usually they don't! :LOL:
George loves the bitter spray! lol

myspecialboy

Lairian
I have the same problem with my blinds. I live on the first floor in front of the parking lot, so I can't just not have them. I could just replace them, but he'd just tear them up, too! From the outside, I look like common white trash in a nice complex. If you find any solutions, let me know!!!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sophie likes blinds and doesn't seem to mind bitter spray either (oh and don't forget the sticky tape she enjoyed so much I tried using to save my couch). So far she has just chewed the cord and batted the rod around not eaten the actual blinds- thank goodness. She licks her sweaters even though I tried spraying them with bitter spray since I feared she would ingest strings.

Wish I could be of help! The water spritzing sounds like a great idea. And hopefully he hates bitter spray. Good luck- he won't be teething forever.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The room I keep my cats in when we are not home has blinds but I have them pulled uo all teh way and use a sheet to cover the window.
Before we had a house we got in trouble because my Russian Blue mix destroyed all the binds.
Can you try the orange spray?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Oh man I thought I had it bad with Delilah our puppy I got her A nylabone (?spelling?) and she stopped chewing thank goodness but she still eats everything, rocks, cloths, you name it she eats it!

Back