Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Help! New kitty, diarrhea and vomit!

BeethovenAndMe

Lairian
I just adopted a 3 year old retired showgirl. I thought everything was fine but her stool is like red water and she is throwing up white foam. I have had her a week and I have been doing my best to slowly transition her food, maybe its stress? Help!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hello @BeethovenAndMe stress and food transition can cause diarrhea and vomiting. Moving to a new home/stress is also is 'good' time for parasites that are already in thr body to pop up (giardia for example). Diarrhea and vomiting can cause dehydration real quick. Do you know how to check if your sphynx is dehydrated?

I think it's best to go to the vet for a check on parasites and other possible causes.

BeethovenAndMe

Lairian
Hello @BeethovenAndMe stress and food transition can cause diarrhea and vomiting. Moving to a new home/stress is also is 'good' time for parasites that are already in thr body to pop up (giardia for example). Diarrhea and vomiting can cause dehydration real quick. Do you know how to check if your sphynx is dehydrated?

I think it's best to go to the vet for a check on parasites and other possible causes.
She isn't dehydrated, I checked her gums first thing

Yoda mom

Staff member
@BeethovenAndMe ,
Awh... What's her name? Thank you for adopting her -
I would definitely get her into the vet for a wellness check ., bring poo sample-
Get a good base line , some meds on board to nip anything on the bud - I had to do this with my one kitty -
Got antibiotics and cerenia prescription - out the door - no further testing and he was all better in a a week and no more episodes -

Good to check her gums like you do and neck skin for tenting -

Please keep us updated on your girl

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I just adopted a 3 year old retired showgirl. I thought everything was fine but her stool is like red water and she is throwing up white foam. I have had her a week and I have been doing my best to slowly transition her food, maybe its stress? Help!

@BeethovenAndMe it can be a number of things: She can be very stressed out. She can have a hard time with food transitioning that you are doing. Why are you changing her food from what she's used to for so many years?
It can be a parasite. She may have eaten something in your house that isn't food that is causing this.

From your description, it's serious enough to get her to a vet asap and not wait and look for answers on the internet. She is obviously having blood loss and fluid loss. I'm sure a vet can get this under control in no time.

Please update us. Best of luck.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I agree, I would go to the Vet asap.
I was wondering also, why, you changed her food?
Eaten anything in your house she shouldn't?
Plants, fake or real. Ribbon, yarn, cleaning supplies, hair ties, etc?

Back