Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hi and Intro

pihltribe

Lairian
haven.jpg

My name is Heather and I have just picked out my first sphynx. I have always, since childhood, been (quite literally) deathly allergic to cats. My son (age 9) has been begging for a cat for the last few years and I really did not want to resort to allergy shots or acupuncture. So I began researching to see if therewas any kind of cat that would work for me. I did an allergy test with a Siberian as they are touted as being the only real hypo-allergenic cat. HA! I had the worst reaction to any cat I've ever had! I've always loved the look of the sphynx breed and have been told many times that they could possibly work for me. But after researching, I kept finding that it's the protein secreted by their oil gland that people are allergic to. One day, I was browsing through a classified site with my mom and happened across an ad for a breeder with the most beautiful sphynx girl that had been rescued and was up for adoption. On a whim, I called and set up an appointment to meet her. I was fully expecting a horrible reaction and to walk away with no pet yet again. Amazingly, I had absolutely no reaction after playing with and petting her for an hour! This was unbelievable! My boys are going to be so happy with their Christmas present! (The breeder is keeping her for me until Christmas Eve....)

I love that I have found this forum as I am not only new to Sphynxs, but to cat ownership as well. The only problem I'm having is the name! It's SO HARD! I've seen several "help me with a name posts" on the forum, but all have been for boys. I have a beautiful little girl and could really use some help. Here is the list we have so far:
Nala
Neytiri
Sookie (from Tru Blood.... any fans?)
Isis
Coraline
We're looking for something Egyptian or Sci-Fi or Comic-Booky.....
Any suggestions to add to the list would be MUCH appreciated! We'll give the list to my boys on Christmas Eve and let them pick form the list once they've met her!

Look forward to chatting with all of you!
Heather

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She's beautiful and your boys will love her. I'd let them come up with possible names, kids are great about that!

Am so happy you weren't disappointed again.

pihltribe

Lairian
My husband thought it would be hilarious to be able to say (in his best Bill Compton Voice) "I must feed, Sookie...." So that one is definitely in the running! :LOL:

MyJezebel

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello and welcome. What a sweet little girl you have there. She will bring you such joy. Deciding on a name is always tough and I like all of the ones that you have on your list. I'm a True Blood fan as well so I named our fish Sookie and Bill. What type of personality does she have? That can often have a big influence on the name that you wind up choosing.

pihltribe

Lairian
She's beautiful and your boys will love her. I'd let them come up with possible names, kids are great about that!

Am so happy you weren't disappointed again.

HAHA! not my boys! my oldest wants to name her Amanda and my youngest named his turtle Snuggles! so.....yeah......much better to give my 2 monkeys choices so everyone can be happy with the name :Wink:

pihltribe

Lairian
Hello and welcome. What a sweet little girl you have there. She will bring you such joy. Deciding on a name is always tough and I like all of the ones that you have on your list. I'm a True Blood fan as well so I named our fish Sookie and Bill. What type of personality does she have? That can often have a big influence on the name that you wind up choosing.

She's very gregarious. She dive-bombs you for attention, plays fetch with her cat balls and is very talkative....

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congrats on your new kitty! Glad to hear you had no reactions. I'm also very allergic. they can cause allergies, i would suggestion washing often-it'll help cut down on allergies from these guys. They're great for people w/ kitty allergies! (i have 3 now lol)
Your baby is beautiful and your little boys will LOVE this kitty!! :) great christmas present!
i vote for Coraline and call her Cora :) (my grandma's name so i'm a fan!)

MyJezebel

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She's very gregarious. She dive-bombs you for attention, plays fetch with her cat balls and is very talkative....

Sounds like a Sookie to me! Not to mention, having your hubby talk to her/about her in the Bill Compton voice would be worth it alone. Must be a guy thing because my husband like to do Bill impressions too.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I like Nala and Neytiri
You can also go with Cleopatra and yes that is my first sphynx Cleos name.
I almost used Nala with some of my cats.
I am very allergic to cats also but still have them.

gizmo6370

Banned
Hi....welcome to the lair...congrats on your first sphynx ( i'll bet it's not gonna be your last :LOL: )

As for Egyptian names :
Cleopatra....
Nefertiti...
Bastet...
Anoekis...
Isis...
Quadesh...
Sechmet....

Sci Fi/Comic book :
Lois Lane ( Superman )....
Kara ( Supergirl )....
Cassandra ( Batgirl )....
Rogue ( X Men)....
Selena ( Catwoman )....
Leia ( Star Wars )...

Good luck on finding a fitting name :ThumbsUp: :Smile:

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the lair! Your little girl is beautiful and I know your boys will be thrilled- my son has become very attached to his (my:LOL:) sphynx. I vote for Sookie!

Gizzymom

Banned
I'm sorry - I do not watch True Blood... but I know there is another sphynx on here named Sookie... But welcome to the Lair... you are going to love it here and you are going to love being a sphynx mommy!!:ThumbsUp:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome Heather! I love that your are saving this for Christmas I just love surprises!!!!
Congrats to you, I am helpless when it comes to names but I can't wit to hear what you decide.

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Congrats and welcome to the lair!!! :BigSmile: I'm sure this girl won't be your last sphynx.....I now have 3 in 4 months!!!! Picking a name is sooooo hard and I found it was even harder with the girls. I love the name Sookie!!!!! :ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello pihltribe and welcome to Sphynxlair! Congrats on your new find! A Sphynx and hopefully a cat you are not allergic to! I always liked the name Aphrodite- The goddess of love.:ThumbsUp:

Inferno12

Banned
Welcome and congrats on your new girl. It sounds like she was meant to be yours. Im sure you will to become addicted to his breed. They are the best and I cant wait to hear about your boys reaction!

emmysmom10

Lairian
I vote Coraline:BigSmile: I think its adorable, but I also have 2 votes for Sookie from my family:LOL:
Just to let you know I am extremely allergic to just about every animal, and I got my first sphynx 2 years ago...I still get rashes, especially when they give kisses. But batheing once a week and washing their blankets and beds helps A TON!
Good luck on Christmas and welcome!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to Sphynx Lair. I'm so glad to hear that you didn't have a reaction to your beautiful girl. You and your family are going to love your first sphynx.

Back