Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

how brush teeth- bad breath!

Help!!!

Gable's breath is rank! I don't know if it is his food or what but even my husband put him down when he yawned because he was so bad.

I know I need to brush his teeth but I don;t know how to safely go about it. I have to do something!!!

Thanks,
Kris

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Re: How to Brush Teeth-BAD BREATH!

Lemmy won't let me even get near his teeth, so I am a bad mama and don't try to brush them. His breath is not too bad thank goodness. You can buy a finger toothbrush and pet toothpaste at Walmart. You just put it on your finger and scrub (gently of course:Smile:).

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Freya had BAAAAAAD breath, I thought it was normal, and it took me several months to get it looked at, when I finally clued in, she had ulcers and infection in her mouth!! I felt horrible that I had missed it. She is fine now, but you might want to get a vet to look at his mouth just in case.

Oh, now it's still stinky, but so much better than it was!

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Same as Lemmysmommy...Mug-Y would bite my fingers off if i went anywhere near his mouth!:Woo: Luckily he has really good teeth! :ThumbsUp:

X

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member

Lemmysmommy is correct they have little finger tooth brushes and cat tooth paste for this. I would just start by just using your finger first so your kitty gets used to something touching his teeth and then move to the tooth brush.
How old is Gable? It could be time to see the vet and have a good cleaning. And also make sure that he is not having any problem that is causing this yucky breath.:Wink:

Gable just turned 3 in March. His favorite moist cat food is Merrick Turducken and he gets a half a can twice a day. That is not helping his breath any I don't think.

It is time to take him in to our vet just for a health check-up, so I will definitely mention his beastly breath. However if he yawns at her, I won't have to mention it because there is no way to miss that assault to the nose.

Honestly I am really scared to get his teeth done.....

LLevenson

Lairian

I brush Arias' teeth once a week...when he's all wrapped up in a towel after his bath. He doesn't love it but he tolerates it. We also have Arias clicker trained and the cat behavorist (yes, we had a cat behavorist come over) suggested we clicker train him with the toothbrush as well. There are a ton of websites on how to clicker train a cat. Basically, once Arias learned that the clicker means a treat, I took the toothbrush and at 1st he got a treat every time he let me touch his mouth/cheek with it. then as he got used to it, I would treat when he really rubbed his gums on it. I am slowly getting him more used to the toothbrush on his teeth. Even though he lets me brush his teeth once a week, I want him to get more OK with it so that I can hopefully do it daily.
I have to say that since I've been working w/ the clicker, he is even more tolerant of the teeth brushing at bath time!

Click Your Cat to Better Behavior by Marilyn Krieger helps stop cat behavior problems through clicker training and positive methods

I just bought Gable Tropiclean Clean Teeth Gel. It is a holistic product made with Mint, Aloe Vera Gel, Chlorophyl and Green Tea extract and is supposed to help remove plaque and tartar. You just squeeze some across teeth and gums and saliva helps distribute it through mouth. It also came with a trial of their water additive with some of the same ingredients to promote healthy teeth gums and breath but I am reluctant to add anything to his water that may keep him from wanting to drink.

As for the Greenies, I have seen them at out pet store but hadn't tried them yet because Prince Gable is picky. I think I may have to get him some to sample and hope he likes them - especially since they have Lysine in them! I didn't know they did!

zoes mom

Lairian

my cat's breathe is disgusting also, I give greenies just a little. I have recently bought the stuff you add to the water it's suppose to help. I have enough trouble getting my kids to brush never mind my cat's:Dizzy: I will know soon enough if it actually helps! She is still young also her breathe alway's stinks I think everything to do with sphynx cat's is just stinkier then your average cat:Hysterical:

I have enough trouble getting my kids to brush never mind my cat's

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

That is so true! I haven't even thought about that! It is a job in itself to make sure my 10 year old son is brushing (he will go upstairs and just let the water run so I will think he is actually brushing his teeth!) let alone making sure my Sphynx brushes!

Back