Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hungry ALL the time

sheryl

Lairian
My new Sphynx, Lily, is starving all the time. She will eat anythig, including my food (which she does not get.) She most definitely is being fed enough. Maybe even a little more then she should be getting. She is very much on the skinny side. I just got her from a rescue, so don't know anything about her history, other then she was just recently spayed, and had a dental & 4 teeth pulled. She was completely vet checked before she came to me. I got her from a very reputable rescue. She is, they guess about 5yrs old. She is an absolute sweetheart, but walks around screaming at me all day for food. And she will definitely push Sammie out of the way for food, so I have been feeding them in seperate rooms. I feed twice a day - do not free feed.Any clues?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Sphynx eat much more the normal cats. We feed twice a day (wet food) and a full bowl of dry throughout the day.:Laugh:

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We free feed our & they literally eat/ munch all day long. Sphynx will generally eat more than a normal cat.

sheryl

Lairian
I wish I could free feed diuring the day, but Sammie would get none of it, and Lily would have it gone lickety-split!!!

skudra

Lairian
I leave dry food all day long, as soon as bowl is empty, I fill in. sometimes I give him extra raw meat, too (about once a week). He really eats more than twice, I can't even count how many times!

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
yes they do eat more than normal cats, but if it's something your worried about call your vet and ask questions it might ease your mind a bit.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Meecho is always crying for food too. She gets her lysine treats and bonito twice a day and I leave a bowl of dry food out all day and night because she will take mini breaks to eat. She never gorges herself but if I had to estimate how much she ate, it would probably be almost 2-3 cups of food a day not including the extras. I was actually prepared for the eating from all my research. All the books and sites said that she would eat and eat but would have a high metabolism. I just watch her to make sure she isn't getting chunky.

Brooke

Banned
I used to free feed when I just had Walter, but now that I have the four cats, I have to measure and feed them dry twice a day and canned once a day. Otherwise, I'd have no way of monitoring who is eating and who isn't...I'm pretty sure the boys would hog all the food and the girls would starve to death if I didn't do it that way!

And yes, they beg for food all day long! :Dizzy:

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The Sphynx has a naturally higher metabolism than most cats, which account for how playful, and energetic they can be. Because of this they eat more than normal cats to keep up with thier high metabolism :) Kreacher puts down more food than my other two cats combined!! Correct me if I am wrong but this is also why they also have a higher body temp than most other cats :)

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
The Sphynx has a naturally higher metabolism than most cats, which account for how playful, and energetic they can be. Because of this they eat more than normal cats to keep up with thier high metabolism :) Kreacher puts down more food than my other two cats combined!! Correct me if I am wrong but this is also why they also have a higher body temp than most other cats :)
Yes they eat more because they have to work harder to stay warm! And we know they love to be warm!

Back