Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I get my 1st Sphynx tomorrow

beamom

Lairian
Hi all,
I am new to Sphynxes. I was contacted by my vet last week. My short haired tortie cat had died late May and my vet knew I had taken her in at age 16, 20 months prior. She asked me if a cat came in to be euthanized that didn't need to be if she could contact me about taking in the cat. Well, I didn't expect to hear from her so soon. I met Bea today, an 11 yr old Sphynx, and spent an hour with her. When they opened her cage door for me, she got right into my lap. She never looked at my face, though, is that odd or normal? She was quite interested in her surroundings at the animal hospital so I thought it might have been that.

I am going away to a workshop the end of July for 4 days, I hope she will have gotten acclimated to her new home by then and not miss me too much. I'll have my cat sitter friend come to visit her while I'm away.

susi794

Staff member
Welcome to the family! And bless you for saving Bea's life. I am sure she will pay you back tenfold for the love you're showing her.
Hugs,
Susi and my gang of animal kids

Alimoore

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congrats on your first Sphynx! Akali only took a day to get comfortable with my place but it depends on how big your place is and if you have any other pets. Be prepared when you come home because Bea is going to want lots of cuddle time. Akali is so needed after me being gone for just a few hours :LOL:

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome! So sorry for the loss of your furbaby, but congratulations on your naked baby! It is wonderful of you to take her in and save her life. :ThumbsUp: Horrible to think that someone was euthanizing her when she didn't need to be. :Cry: Hope you'll post pictures soon!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
How wonderful you are saving this baby's life...you are blessed even more than it will ever be. Congrats.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Beamom and welcome to Sphynxlair! So glad you found us! What a wonderful thing you did saving Bea. Please enjoy our wonderful sphynx community!:ThumbsUp:

Nefertari

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congrats on your sphynx and what a lovely gesture on adopting her from being euthanized! :Smile:

beamom

Lairian
Thank-you, everyone! She is in my lap as I type this. Her ears are pretty dirty and needs nails clipped and probably a bath, but will wait a day or so before I do those, will let her get used to being here with me.

Sandy

Sphynx Happy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow you really did rescue her. Good for you and thank you for rescuing Bea. Do you know why she was going to be put to sleep?

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
That is such a touching story! You're an amazing person for taking in Bea!

Enjoy her and post up pics once she is comfortable in her new home :Adore:

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

on adopting Bea
and thank you for adopting her. She will show her gratefulness to you in many ways.​

Caloci

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I think it's wonderful that you saved Bea from having her life cut short. I do have a question tho. My Dad is a retired vet who had told me once that if someone came in and wanted their animal put down you had to do it even if there was no health or behavioral reason.

Did the vet talk them out of it by saying he thought he could find a home for her or something? Just because it would seem unethical to do otherwise.

Even so I'm glad Bea found you.

beamom

Lairian
Wow you really did rescue her. Good for you and thank you for rescuing Bea. Do you know why she was going to be put to sleep?

Thanks! She is such an adorable girl and she is settling in nicely now.

My vet told me it was due to her having loose stools and the woman not being able to care for her. She did have bad diarrhea when I brought her home, but is better now, not completely normal stool yet. I guess in the course of her 11 years with her prior person, Bea's family expanded with husband, 2 kids, 2 other cats and a dog. Bea didn't get along with other pets and/or kids. That's all I know

sciumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wow! Such a touching story! Getting me teary :')

Bea is a really sweet name, too. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful story with us and welcome!

beamom

Lairian
I think it's wonderful that you saved Bea from having her life cut short. I do have a question tho. My Dad is a retired vet who had told me once that if someone came in and wanted their animal put down you had to do it even if there was no health or behavioral reason.

Did the vet talk them out of it by saying he thought he could find a home for her or something? Just because it would seem unethical to do otherwise.

Even so I'm glad Bea found you.

Thank-you! I am so glad Bea found me, too.

All I know is that my vet convinced the woman to do a blood test (white blood count high) and must have said something like she may be able to find her a home (see next paragraph). The woman took Bea back home, and that's when I heard about Bea and said I'd be willing to come and meet her. I guess the vet contacted Bea's owner and said they had someone who might adopt her so Bea was brought back to the animal hospital I was called and went to meet Bea and she was so cute I couldn't resist. The woman came back the next day to sign a paper saying she gave up rights to Bea, or some such wording.

Two weeks before this happened, my vet had asked me if someone brought a cat in to be euthanized which could have a good life with medication or something like that, could she contact me. My cat had died Memorial Day and my vet knew I'd taken her in at age 16. Also when my cat's chronic constipation had gotten real bad, the vet asked me if I wanted to put her to sleep or try an enema or 'surgery' if necessary (would be some sort of manual manipulation of her colon, no knife involved). I said, no I can't put her to sleep, she is fine otherwise, and she was fine after that (2 enemas got her unclogged) for awhile before her kidneys were failing. So I guess she knew I'd be a good candidate for such a cat in need.

Sorry for such a long answer

Back