Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I had NO IDEA you can gives cats (and dogs) Pedialyte!!!

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just posting this separate from my other thread so that everyone can see it.

I had no idea that you can give cats and dogs pedialyte to treat dehydration (from vomiting and diarrhea).

My vet said I can give it to Molly and Leo (both dehydrated from their current sickness) instead of subcutaneous fluids.

He recommended 50-100 mL of plain pedialyte per cat in 24 hours.

Of course, check with your vet, it is not a replacement for medical diagnosis (etc etc). But I thought this would be helpful to those who find themselves with sick animals. Usually in the middle of the night with no access to an emergency vet.

It is totally something that I am going to keep a bottle of on-hand in the medicine cabinet now.

Did anyone else know this? Or has used it?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MollysMom , Thank you for the information! I have done SubQ fluids at home on my moms cat and the pedialyte would have been great to know about -- thank you for sharing! Something to add to my "animal hospital kit"

My "kit " now also includes Pepcid AC regular strength walgreens brand 10 mg-

My vet said she could give me an expensive prescription but suggested Walgreens brand of Pepcid AC 10mg- 1/4 tablet

My vet told me to give Toby 1/4 pill of the Pepcid AC 10mg - 1x day with with his Cerenia 1/2 pill 1xaday when he was having tummy upsets after falling in the toilet when the guest left the seat up- the cerenia is typically for dogs - these two worked amazing and he was better in a few days-
(Not intended to diagnosis- just info to ask your vets)

**always check with your vet ***

I never knew to put Pepcid AC 10 mg in my kit-
I will definitely be adding pedialyte

Last edited:

Sphynx Asylum Dad

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Make sure you use the unflavored kind as the flavored ones have too much glucose (sugar) for most animals. Another option is farm/ home type stores (TSC, Feldmans, Bluestem, Big R, Ranch & Home, and co-op etc.) carry an electrolyte supplement for calves, and other baby animals that is dry or gel you have to mix with water, a little goes a LONG way, has much lower glucose levels and forever shelf-life. We've been using it with Sobe with great success (she loves it!) and it's MUCH cheaper than pedialyte too.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Make sure you use the unflavored kind as the flavored ones have too much glucose (sugar) for most animals. Another option is farm/ home type stores (TSC, Feldmans, Bluestem, Big R, Ranch & Home, and co-op etc.) carry an electrolyte supplement for calves, and other baby animals that is dry or gel you have to mix with water, a little goes a LONG way, has much lower glucose levels and forever shelf-life. We've been using it with Sobe with great success (she loves it!) and it's MUCH cheaper than pedialyte too.
Yes good point... we used the unflavored clear one. I actually tasted it, just kind of tastes like salty water. Was $9 for 1 litre bottle.

Sphynx Asylum Mom

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@KansasSphynxDad , what is the brand the brand of calf electrolyte? Do you dry or gel?
I will check the feed store nearby thanks!
@Yoda mom I am not sure what the brand was but it has pictures of calves, dogs, cats, and sheep and specifically says it is for all those animals. I would just ask someone at the store for powdered electrolytes for cats and they should be able to point you to it. It was only a few dollars for a packet that will last a really long time because you mix it based on weight of the animal.

Hope that helps :)

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks for this timely information. Our 13-year-old Sydney Cat spent this last weekend throwing up. She couldn't keep any food or water down, and we were afraid that she would die of dehydration. The vet had us giving her barium and interferon, and after I read this post, I got some Pedialyte. We gave her a wee bit yesterday and left a bowl of Pedialyte out for her all night. This morning, she was much better. She has been drinking it all day and finally is keeping her food and water down! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks for this timely information. Our 13-year-old Sydney Cat spent this last weekend throwing up. She couldn't keep any food or water down, and we were afraid that she would die of dehydration. The vet had us giving her barium and interferon, and after I read this post, I got some Pedialyte. We gave her a wee bit yesterday and left a bowl of Pedialyte out for her all night. This morning, she was much better. She has been drinking it all day and finally is keeping her food and water down! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
So glad to hear!! I tried giving it to mine in a bowl but they wouldn't drink it. So we had to do theirs through a plastic tipped syringe. Make sure she is getting lots of regular water too. Hope Sydney feels better!

Yoda mom

Staff member
Has anyone's vet recommend a homemade pedialyte in case of emergencies, stores closed, weekend night etc...
* Obviously these are for use on hand and not stored

Here's a pedialyte recipe listed on daily kitten site

* Pedialyte recipe from World Health Organization)…no preservatives so short life-span
* 1 cup water (boiled then cooled)
* 2 tsp sugar
* 1/8 tsp salt
* 1/8 tsp baking soda
* (this Pedialyte formula gives needed electrolytes & some sugar for energy)
Combine all ingredients and warm slightly.
Make new after 24 hours.
http://dailykitten.com/chat/topic/tent-test-for-dehydration-and-home-made-pedialyte-recipe/

And a kids version:
Homemade Pedialyte Recipe
Mix together:

• 1 quart water
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2013/01/31/homemade-pedialyte/

Last edited:

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am sure you could in a pinch... would there are several recipes like this on the internet. I made one for my brothers dog last week when she was very sick (before I knew that you could give pedialyte). I would err on the side of being more conservative with the salt and sugar as not to really throw things out of whack. The recipe I made was:

1 gallon water
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar

I wouldn't use any more than that per gallon of water. And I used bottled water in a pinch too.

Back