Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I have too much catnip. Need ideas

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Greetings fellow sphynxlairians. It's me again, Butterball's father. Last year I decided to add some catnip to my garden. Well, the stuff grew like gangbusters and the winter weather did little to kill it off. So I have alot of catnip already growing. I was wondering if any of you had ideas on making catnip toys or other catnip uses. I thought I'd harvest some and dry it out and send it to fellow sphynxlairians. I'd really appreciate any ideas you might have.

Thanks mucho

susi794

Staff member
If you're sending it out, I'd love some! My cats love it--I planted some last year, but the neighborhood cats and the raccoons ate it all. Dry it out and make catnip toys with it.
Stuff a sock with some fiberfill and catnip--Butterball will love it.

holly_savage

Banned
I can't get Lemmy to even show interest in the stuff!! He must be nuts....LOL

same here. Hibou doesn't seem to think much of it...now, stuff a tow full of ham and thst a different story! :LOL:

Maybe she's too young? She only 7 months old and I have read somewhere that it doesn't always kick in till later...but who knows.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
old socks or socks without pairs make great toys. Also if you have more time or like being creative you can cut out material and stich up the sides and add your nip to it and sew it up..I do that for Snuffie all the time.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
old socks or socks without pairs make great toys. Also if you have more time or like being creative you can cut out material and stich up the sides and add your nip to it and sew it up..I do that for Snuffie all the time.

I have stuffed a sock with catnip in the past. It certainly does make a good toy. I was hoping to make something I can give away as gifts. I don't think you guys would get very excited if I sent you a used sock. I'd rather someone just send me a rock. hahaha, that's pretty funny.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cut out a tear drop shape from material and stitch two together and it'l look like a mouse........thats super easy. You could even some string or wool whiskers to the pointy part and add a black dot with a sharpie for an eye.... or you could also do a fish shape.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I have stuffed a sock with catnip in the past. It certainly does make a good toy. I was hoping to make something I can give away as gifts. I don't think you guys would get very excited if I sent you a used sock. I'd rather someone just send me a rock. hahaha, that's pretty funny.

haha - yeah , please dont send us your ratty socks. My apologies, I didn't think of that. You could go to a craft store if you have a few dollars to spare and buy "Felt", not sure how its spelled in the material sence. But you just cut out your pieces and sew the edges together until you have a little hole, stuff it with the nip and filler if you want filler and close it up.

Also if you find cheap little foam balls (the 20 cent ones from the pet store) you can soak them in water with the dried cat nip (soak the nip for a day or so first to get it good and soaked and you can infuse the foam balls with the smell of cat nip.

Thats all i got for right now - I'll let you know if I think of anything else tho. Have fun!!:ThumbsUp:

susi794

Staff member
Cut any size circle from material, do a running stitch around the outside edge...and don't cut the string....put a little filler and the nip in the center then pull the string like a drawstring--forming a little pouch. Tie the stringto make sure it won't come back open and you're done.

My cats have three little square pillows with filler and catnip and Othie carries them around like babies--she clucks to them and calls to them. She runs to put them where other the cats can't find them (they aren't even caring-lol). It cracks me up to watch her--she brings them in the bassinette and lays close to them. She LOVES those little pillows.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cut any size circle from material, do a running stitch around the outside edge...and don't cut the string....put a little filler and the nip in the center then pull the string like a drawstring--forming a little pouch. Tie the stringto make sure it won't come back open and you're done.

My cats have three little square pillows with filler and catnip and Othie carries them around like babies--she clucks to them and calls to them. She runs to put them where other the cats can't find them (they aren't even caring-lol). It cracks me up to watch her--she brings them in the bassinette and lays close to them. She LOVES those little pillows.

:Hysterical::LOL::LOL: Susi that is just too cute!

I just re-introduced Sophie to cat nip and she loves it. She had no interest when she was a younger kitten. Now, she just rolls her head around in it.

for_serious

Lairian
Apparently catnip only affects half of all cats... that might explain why some of the cats in this forum don't react when given catnip.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
. Also if you have more time or like being creative you can cut out material and stich up the sides and add your nip to it and sew it up..I do that for Snuffie all the time.

Kinda like catnip fortune cookies!!

Mug-Y goes NUTS for the stuff...but only when he doesn't have it available all the time...I'll post a video later...complete Psychokitty!

X

hfwebb

Lairian
I made a whole bunch of treats for my kittys salmon, cheese, cheese and catnip. Dozens! They wouldn't touch them but my mothers Persians loved them.

Cat Attack Cookies
Description
A nutrious treat for those special occasions.
Ingredients
1 C Whole wheat flour
1/4 C Soy flour
1 t Catnip
1 Egg
1/3 C Milk or cat's milk
2 T Wheat germ
1/3 C Powdered milk
1 T Unsulfurated molasses
2 T Butter, vegetable oil, or canola oil
Directions
Preheat oven to 350F. Mix dry ingredients together. Add molasses, egg, oil and milk. Roll out flat onto
oiled cookie sheet and cut into small, cat bite-sized pieces. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool and store in
tightly sealed container.

Homemade Kitty Yum Yums
Description
A healthy and cheap treat you can make at home.
Ingredients
1/2 C Dry cat food
1/4 C Warm water or milk
3 T Catnip
Directions
Put the cat food and milk in the bowl and mix well. Pour out any extra water. Sprinkle the catnip over
the mixture and mix well. If you like you may bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 min.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Was it pretty easy to grow? I have a brown thumb so it has to be easy!

Catnip is almost too easy to grow. It doesn't use much water. It'll grow in the shade. It can stand really hot and cold temps. I planted some next to my peppers and tomatoes last year and it nearly took them over. I also planted some in a 12 inch pot. The winter killed some of it off but spring in Texas is already here so the catnip took off again and is spreading quickly. It grows just as easy as a regular garden weed. In fact, I think it's classified as a weed. (waiting for the jokes)

I don't ever see any of the neighborhood cats but they leave their droppings nearby to let me know they've been there.

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Catnip is almost too easy to grow. It doesn't use much water. It'll grow in the shade. It can stand really hot and cold temps. I planted some next to my peppers and tomatoes last year and it nearly took them over. I also planted some in a 12 inch pot. The winter killed some of it off but spring in Texas is already here so the catnip took off again and is spreading quickly. It grows just as easy as a regular garden weed. In fact, I think it's classified as a weed. (waiting for the jokes)

I don't ever see any of the neighborhood cats but they leave their droppings nearby to let me know they've been there.

You crack me up!! They leave their droppings to let me know they've been there:LOL: :LOL::LOL:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I made a whole bunch of treats for my kittys salmon, cheese, cheese and catnip. Dozens! They wouldn't touch them but my mothers Persians loved them.

Cat Attack Cookies
Description
A nutrious treat for those special occasions.
Ingredients
1 C Whole wheat flour
1/4 C Soy flour
1 t Catnip
1 Egg
1/3 C Milk or cat's milk
2 T Wheat germ
1/3 C Powdered milk
1 T Unsulfurated molasses
2 T Butter, vegetable oil, or canola oil
Directions
Preheat oven to 350F. Mix dry ingredients together. Add molasses, egg, oil and milk. Roll out flat onto
oiled cookie sheet and cut into small, cat bite-sized pieces. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool and store in
tightly sealed container.

Homemade Kitty Yum Yums
Description
A healthy and cheap treat you can make at home.
Ingredients
1/2 C Dry cat food
1/4 C Warm water or milk
3 T Catnip
Directions
Put the cat food and milk in the bowl and mix well. Pour out any extra water. Sprinkle the catnip over
the mixture and mix well. If you like you may bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 min.

OOOO Great idea HfWebb!!! Snuffie is excited over this one!! :ThumbsUp:

myspecialboy

Lairian
Greetings fellow sphynxlairians. It's me again, Butterball's father. Last year I decided to add some catnip to my garden. Well, the stuff grew like gangbusters and the winter weather did little to kill it off. So I have alot of catnip already growing. I was wondering if any of you had ideas on making catnip toys or other catnip uses. I thought I'd harvest some and dry it out and send it to fellow sphynxlairians. I'd really appreciate any ideas you might have.

Thanks mucho

You kinda sound like a pusher. Make sure to cut it with some oregano so you can get more profit. heheheh

Too bad Chadwick is drug-free. I was so looking forward to watching him freak out over catnip, but he just doesn't care either way about it. It's so sad as I remember my Dad's Siamese going apes**t over the stuff.

Back