Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I just got A email.

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Too funny!!! I saw one the other day saying they wanted to trade their bird for a sphynx... Oh and Sphynx wanted $200 or less!!! I cant believe people!

J

Jinxlover

I saw an add once from someone that wanted to trade a Great Dane puppy for a bedroom set!!

Come on people, REALLY. :Angry:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
What an idiot! That insane proposition doesn't even deserve a response.

Don't worry they did not get A response:Laugh:

Any way sorry to all you snake people but hubby bought A snake for our son once for like $100 and I pt the tank on the heater and fried the poor thing :Surprise:

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Don't worry they did not get A response:Laugh:

Any way sorry to all you snake people but hubby bought A snake for our son once for like $100 and I pt the tank on the heater and fried the poor thing :Surprise:

Ok now did you put it on the heater on purpose?:Surprise::LOL:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't know what the big deal is. I'd trade a snake for a sphynx any day. I'll go find a grass snake in my backyard, put it in a box, and send it to ya. Any takers?

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't know what the big deal is. I'd trade a snake for a sphynx any day. I'll go find a grass snake in my backyard, put it in a box, and send it to ya. Any takers?

:LOL: Maybe you're right! I think a snake may be a great deal easier than Mo sometimes! :Hysterical:

PitRottMommy

Banned
What A crack pot,
The person sent me A email wanting to know if I would trade A kitten for A snake:Angry:

I see many of you are not in the reptile trade...

Ilovemysphynx, I think you need to be more specific on snakes. Some ball, burm, retic and blood python morphs can run you well into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If they were wanting to trade you a common garter snake, that'd be one thing. But the potential for someone out there wanting to trade a high end snake for a high end cat is pretty good these days. Unfortunately, not all reptile owners realize that some people just don't care for reptiles as pets (although, they do rock. I used to breed burms and they were teh shiznit) and it can seem odd on a mammal-lovers end that they're wanting to trade. On the other hand, we don't think it odd for two cat owners to trade straight across, for example a sphynx for a bengal, if each person were happy with the exchange. Or even dogs.

Here's a page for those of you that might not believe that these high end projects exist. There's a retic on here, a single snake, being offered for $20,000. The others range well between 2 and 12 thousand dollars. http://www.prehistoricpets.com/browse/investments Before I began my affinity for mammals, I was involved in many of these high end investments in not only snakes, but also rare geckos and tarantulas. Again, different strokes for different folks.

Again, it's important to be informed in this area before we laugh at someone for offering up a potential trade. This could be someone with a truly laughable offer...or it could be someone with a really fantastic deal.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member

I see many of you are not in the reptile trade...

Ilovemysphynx, I think you need to be more specific on snakes. Some ball, burm, retic and blood python morphs can run you well into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If they were wanting to trade you a common garter snake, that'd be one thing. But the potential for someone out there wanting to trade a high end snake for a high end cat is pretty good these days. Unfortunately, not all reptile owners realize that some people just don't care for reptiles as pets (although, they do rock. I used to breed burms and they were teh shiznit) and it can seem odd on a mammal-lovers end that they're wanting to trade. On the other hand, we don't think it odd for two cat owners to trade straight across, for example a sphynx for a bengal, if each person were happy with the exchange. Or even dogs.

Here's a page for those of you that might not believe that these high end projects exist. There's a retic on here, a single snake, being offered for $20,000. The others range well between 2 and 12 thousand dollars. http://www.prehistoricpets.com/browse/investments Before I began my affinity for mammals, I was involved in many of these high end investments in not only snakes, but also rare geckos and tarantulas. Again, different strokes for different folks.

Again, it's important to be informed in this area before we laugh at someone for offering up a potential trade. This could be someone with a truly laughable offer...or it could be someone with a really fantastic deal.

I was not specific because the email was not specific, it just said snake! Honestly I could care less because we are not looking for A snake. So if it was $20,000 I am still not interested! I am sure if was some great snake they would have stated that it the email.
This is A sphynx forum and all the other sphynx lovers here seemed to think it was comical.
Also I do not have my kittens listed for trade so coming to me with that is A waste of time and reading the email was A waste of my time.
Yes different strokes for different folks.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
:LOL: This guy is targeting a very specific breed of cat, now why didn't he specify what snake is up for trade? The 20k kind or back yard kind? :LOL:

I wouldn't trade Sophie for the world! :Smile:

PitRottMommy

Banned
This is A sphynx forum and all the other sphynx lovers here seemed to think it was comical.

I don't tell you how to respond to emails, but I know that if I got an email that was anything like the response posted above...I'd never refer any of my friends to that breeder (nor would I buy a cat after being declined). I hope your response was a little more kind, even if you were disgusted that they might've even asked.

I'm not saying there aren't people out there who email odd stuff just to see what type of reply they'll get, but what if this person was genuinely interested? Being rude to them doesn't seem like the correct approach at all. Perhaps I see the other end of the spectrum because I've done trades of high end animals, some ranging well into the multiple thousands of dollars...worth far more than a hairless cat.

Funny or not, I shiver to think that someone might've found you as a breeder on this website and now may have the chance to stumble across you making fun of them. Especially if they were serious. I don't find that even remotely funny.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I never said it was and email from this site, and my response was not rude I just did not respond at all! Because like I said I do not entertain any offers for trade.
And if they do find me here well I guess that is the great part of being the owner of this site I can delete them if they don't follow the rules!:Laugh:

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
And if they do find me here well I guess that is the great part of being the owner of this site I can delete them if they don't follow the rules!:Laugh:

:LOL::LOL:

PitRottMommy

Banned
I never said it was and email from this site, and my response was not rude I just did not respond at all! Because like I said I do not entertain any offers for trade.

:ThumbsDown:

No, you did not. You specified that it was one you received. Obviously, if they're able to find you on the internet to find kittens, they'd be able to search to find a sphynx forum too. Especially if that had some real interest in owning this breed. And they'd find you mocking them. Sounds like a great way to bring lovers of this breed/those who are interested to this forum.

And just exactly how does you offering to delete their account and them finding this post and becoming offended even correlate? It sounds like your intention is to remove people that become offended by your statements. And I, for one, don't ever remember reading in the rules of this site that you must agree with a Moderator's opinions to be a member. Perhaps you can link me there, because I totally skipped over that part of the clause.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Rodney King once said "can't we all just get along". It's obvious here that no one tried to offend anyone else.

FYI: A moderator doesn't need any reason to delete any users account. Fortunately for us, we have Admin and his wife who don't carelessly delete users. We have all worked hard especially Admin and his wife to keep this site fun and entertaining. Let's keep it that way.

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Rodney King once said "can't we all just get along". It's obvious here that no one tried to offend anyone else.

FYI: A moderator doesn't need any reason to delete any users account. Fortunately for us, we have Admin and his wife who don't carelessly delete users. We have all worked hard especially Admin and his wife to keep this site fun and entertaining. Let's keep it that way.

Amen!!!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to reiterate on the rules that must be followed on Sphynxlair which are clearly stated and agreed to from each member upon signing up. There shall be no bashing, and bad mouthing members, breeders or advertisers for what ever reasons they may be. If you have useful information that is "fact" about a poor breeder or an unfortunate incident with a breeder, please kindly inform a potential buyer privately. And please be sure it is "fact" not rumor. these rules should include posts, threads and Pm's (private messaging). This site was built and became successful with kind friendly people who enjoy sharing and loving our breed of cat, and who could gather in one place to talk Sphynx, unlike any other site on the web. Remember a lot of our members are new, and are inexperienced with their new sphynx and there are some knowledgeable people on here, which I respect and enjoy, that they look up to, that give useful information, but must be careful, kind and courteous when relaying your messages to our new members. If you make a new member feel they have made wrong decisions or are not doing something to your standards, it's ok to give your opinion or advice but please do it in a kind, friendly manor. If you decide to break the rules which you agreed to with, bashing, bad mouthing via posts, threads or Pm's on Sphynxlair you will be suspended immediately from the site at the minimal! We at Sphynxlair have worked hard to create a friendly, kind professional site and would like to keep it that way. The name of the game here is to "acquire" new sphynx lovers, not loose them! If you as a member are being harassed on this site in any way, or some one makes you feel uncomfortable you can PM me or email me, and it will be strictly confidential! If you have questions or concerns on this post please email me at [email protected]
Thank you,
Admin
This secondary set of rules was generated as a sticky because of one of our members was being bashed because they chose a certain breeder.

Here is the copy that you PitRottMommy must once AGAIN be reminded of!
I never once said anyone would be removed from the site if someone did not agree with the moderator I said they would be removed if they came on here and did not follow the rules!
and by the way my husband and I are the owners of this site and take much pride for what we have created. We put a lot of time, money and effort into this website because we do love the sphynx breed and love the fact that there are other sphynx lovers who enjoy and benefit from our hard work, and come to Sphynxlair after a hard days work, unwind, then enjoy browsing through wonderful, funny but ever so important friendly posts and threads with out feeling uncomfortable . We do not enjoy nor will we tolerate the way you have replied to me in the past couple of posts in this thread. If I where A member, moderator or owner it will not be tolerated. Not only was I offended and embarrassed , but so where other members because I have received messages saying so, and it's not the first time by the way. I understand that every one has their own opinion and not everyone has to agree, beating someone up or telling them what they have just done is going to result in their cats death because you do not agree is over stepping boundaries. We value everyones thoughts and opinions here and do not like them to be shot down and have members leave the site because you did not agree, there are professional, courteous and friendly ways to express your opinions, which we welcome, but this type of behavior is not one of them. Unfortunately this is not your first warning and will result in the suspension of your account until further notice. Normally this would be done privately but I am leaving this out in the open for An example that behavior like this is not tolerated! In the past we have sent you pm's regarding behavior like this and have removed posts that where offensive to other members. Obviously you do not take our rules seriously or just don't get it. This time I will not delete the post because it was directed to me and not harmful to our members.
We do not only take pride in this website, we also take pride in our loving Sphynx and their babies that have given us the idea to start this website in the first place. So for you to suggest that any one should not purchase A kitten from me because I am not willing to trade them for A snake is ridiculous. As A breeder it is my job to find great loving homes for all my babies, and if I think someone is unfit or I am not comfortable with them then my baby goes no place. I keep in touch with all the babies whom have left my home until this day and some have chose to be members. You will receive a pm of when your account will be accessible again. I hope this will be a lesson learned and you can come back and enjoy everything we all love about Sphynxlair.
Thank you,
Heather

silly4lilly

Lairian
What A crack pot,
The person sent me A email wanting to know if I would trade A kitten for A snake

ElGato, well said!

I wouldnt have responded to the e-mail either. something seems sketchy and there are a lot of wierd people out there who would do rediculous things to get a sphynx.

This reminds me of when we picked up my male from the breeders house. She was telling us all of these stories about all wierd people that would contact her to buy her kittens. She even said that she has caught someone stealing pictures from her website of her kittens for sale and posting them on his own website saying that they were his!!!! crazy.

Back