Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I'm Confused

for_serious

Lairian
Okay so I get my sphynx kitten in 2 1/2 weeks or so but I'm unsure about something. My mom has a cat and I know that it had it's shots when it was a year, but I don't know about since then (It's about 5 years old now). Is it safe to bring the kitten home with this cat in the house? I'm not sure how many rounds of shots cats usually get in order to be up to date.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If your moms cat is solely a house cat and hasnt been exposed to anything/ any other cats then the kitten would be safe.

You need to reverse it though, in this case. You will be bring a kitten home from a breeder who has other cats, that will expose your mom's cats to virus' etc.

In my opinion, you should get your moms cat vaccinated before the kitten comes home.

Last edited:

PitRottMommy

Banned
Okay so I get my sphynx kitten in 2 1/2 weeks or so but I'm unsure about something. My mom has a cat and I know that it had it's shots when it was a year, but I don't know about since then (It's about 5 years old now). Is it safe to bring the kitten home with this cat in the house? I'm not sure how many rounds of shots cats usually get in order to be up to date.

Cats receive 3 FVRCPC vaccinations and a rabies vaccination (this is done around 5 months of age). I recommend vaccinating for Feline Leukemia...because there's absolutely no reason to risk exposure to something you can prevent.

I would recommend having your mother's cat tested for feline leukemia/feline aids and vaccinated about 3 weeks before being exposed to the new kitten. All the adult cat will need is an FVRCP, rabies and, if you're wanting to be cautious, feline leukemia.

Best of luck!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I would have moms cat checked at the vet since it has been a while and get all vaccines up to date. Even if A pet is not due for vaccines and seems healthy they should still have A vet visit at least once A year, just like our human children.
I would keep them apart for about 10 days just to be sure that the new kitten does not bring anything home with him. The new kitten should see the vet within 48 hours of coming home and should be given A clean bill of health. Even after this keeping them apart is important for the 10 days just incase the new kitty has something but is not showing it.
Good luck we can not wait:Wink:

Back