Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Introducing My Kitty

NeonLily

Lairian
Hi there! I realized I never properly introduced my kitty or myself! I am 25 years old and I live in a suburb of Seattle. I have allergies to cats but have had cats growing up and wanted one to join me in my home. I decided to look into Sphynx in the area and read a lot about them, finding out they often do not bother people with cat allergies. I went to a breeder about an hour and a half away and visited her many Sphynx cats. I didn't have any allergy problems and I was in a room with over a dozen cats! I ended up choosing one of her older cats who was a former show cat.

My girl's name is Phoebe and she was 4 years old when she came to live with me. I have had her almost 2 years now. When she was younger, she was a diva show cat. In her glory days, she won several prizes including TICA's 2005 Best Sphynx Kitten NW Region, TICA's 2005 Best Sphynx NW Region and TICA's 2005 19th Best Short Haired Cat NW Region. She had a wall of prizes in her breeder's home! After her show years, she was a mother to three litters of kittens.

For some reason, Phoebe stood out to me because of her playful and inquisitive nature. I decided she was the one for me- the breeder had her spayed, and I picked her up a little while later. She came home to me and I took care of her while she healed from her spaying. We have been inseparable ever since! She sleeps with me at night, wants me to hold her whenever I am home, and loves to climb up and be held like a baby. She also carries her huge blue body pillow across the house nightly while yowling loudly. I think she is reenacting carrying her kittens around when she does this! It's so funny! My girl is the best kitty ever and I am so happy to have her in my life! You can see photos of my girl in my profile photo album.

NeonLily

Lairian
Brooke - Yes, she was having some tummy problems and had an elevated liver enzyme, too. I switched her to a novel protein diet (Royal Canin Rabbit & Pea) and her stools have improved greatly which is a big relief! I now need to take her back to the vet to recheck her liver enzyme levels to see if the diet change helped to lower the level. Actually, I will call and make that appointment right now! Thanks for your concern about my girl!!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Neonkitty, thanks for sharing your story with us! Phoebe looks and acts very similar to my Piglet, which makes me think that Piglet was once a show cat as well before she was given up to rescue. I know for sure Piglet was used for breeding at one point, as it's evident by looking at her that she's had a litter or two in the past. Anyway, Phoebe sounds like a delightful little kitty and I'm so glad that you two found and have such a great relationship with each other! :BigSmile:

NeonLily

Lairian
Is she one of Jovanas kittens or Juanitas?
I know they both have cats and kittens that do well.
She is a nice looking cat.
I am glad you got her.

She's not one of Jovana's or Juanita's. Are those two breeders in WA? Where are they located? Thanks for the compliment on my girl!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Jovana has really nice sphynx I have seen at the shows.
I believe she lives by the border of Canada and Washington.
Juanita has nice sphynx also and I almost bought a kitten from her last August but he would have been to big to show in CFA.
She lives in Washington State.
I do not remember where.
Jovanas cat is number 4 right now but she used to be number 1.
http://ticamembers.org/estimated_standings/est_alt1.htm
She also has kitten number 93.
He beat Wrinkles in every ring except the last one.

http://ticamembers.org/estimated_standings/KIT/smoothieshoponthebusgus.htm

The number 1 sphynx comes from Juanita and the number 2 sphynx is Jovanas.
That is in kittens.
The number 1 and 3 sphynx alters are Jovanas.
I have never talked to her though.

NeonLily

Lairian
Mews2much - thanks for the info on those two. I wasn't aware of those people in Washington state and on the border by Canada that show Sphynx. That is good info for me to have!! I appreciate it! I'll have to go to the next cat show in my area and see if they are there... I haven't been to a cat show in years so I'm not totally up-to-date on people who breed/show Sphynx in the area.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My mentor shows also and has a litter due the end of January.
She is in Oregon near the Washington border.
If you ever want another sphynx you do not have to get one from your area either.
There are good breeders in other states.
In the future I might show in your area.
My Cleo is from the east coast.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi there! I realized I never properly introduced my kitty or myself! I am 25 years old and I live in a suburb of Seattle. I have allergies to cats but have had cats growing up and wanted one to join me in my home. I decided to look into Sphynx in the area and read a lot about them, finding out they often do not bother people with cat allergies. I went to a breeder about an hour and a half away and visited her many Sphynx cats. I didn't have any allergy problems and I was in a room with over a dozen cats! I ended up choosing one of her older cats who was a former show cat.

My girl's name is Phoebe and she was 4 years old when she came to live with me. I have had her almost 2 years now. When she was younger, she was a diva show cat. In her glory days, she won several prizes including TICA's 2005 Best Sphynx Kitten NW Region, TICA's 2005 Best Sphynx NW Region and TICA's 2005 19th Best Short Haired Cat NW Region. She had a wall of prizes in her breeder's home! After her show years, she was a mother to three litters of kittens.

For some reason, Phoebe stood out to me because of her playful and inquisitive nature. I decided she was the one for me- the breeder had her spayed, and I picked her up a little while later. She came home to me and I took care of her while she healed from her spaying. We have been inseparable ever since! She sleeps with me at night, wants me to hold her whenever I am home, and loves to climb up and be held like a baby. She also carries her huge blue body pillow across the house nightly while yowling loudly. I think she is reenacting carrying her kittens around when she does this! It's so funny! My girl is the best kitty ever and I am so happy to have her in my life! You can see photos of my girl in my profile photo album.

Phoebe is absolutely ADORABLE!

NeonLily

Lairian
Thank you all and thanks from Phoebe, too! It has been great having a forum to talk about the Sphynx breed and their related care, issues, etc. All of you are so nice here, too! I am so happy to have found this website!

Back