Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Introduction

markywmurray

Lairian
:BigSmile: Hello, My name is Marky and I am in search of information about Sphynx.

I am in contact with a breeder in Northern California,. I am preparing to send him a deposit on a little male pet kitty. I just want to be sure I am educated before I make the commitment.

We have had Oriental Shorthair cats in the past. We had a lovely male we showed ot his Grand Champion per his breeders request. We also bred, raised a couple of litters of kittens at her request. We enjoyed this very much, but when our commitment was complete, we had our guy neutered. We had him for many years before finally succumbed to a chronic respiratory problem

It has been a few years since I held him in my arms and wept as he was put to sleep. One of the hardest things but most compasionate things I have ever done.

We are ready for a new ''kitty baby'. We have long loved the Sphynx breed and have deided that is what we will get.

Any suggestions advice will be appreciated.

Thank You, marky

Last edited by a moderator:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Welcome to the site.
Sorry you lost you OSH.
Sphynx need their ears and nails clean.
They get oily fast.
They are hyper and love people.
I show my cats.
There is a brand new shampoo a breeder in France just came out with.
It works well.
I use Epi Optic for the ears.
They get eye boogers you need to wipe out.
What else do you want to know.
Be careful of HCM sphynx can get that.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to Sphynx Lair. I think you will find this to be an informative and fun forum to learn about the Sphynx breed. You will have to edit your post to remove the cattery name you are looking to buy from as per site rules. But if you PM Mews2much with the cattery name, she will be able to tell you more about them. Owning a Sphynx is wonderful, but it helps to be an informed owner. Glad you found us.

Last edited:

Bella07

Banned
Welcome to Sphynxlair! This is the perfect site to get an indepth view on all there is to know about the Sphynx breed. It's funny that you mentioned Orientals, because I recently just made a thread concerning that breed. Next week sometime, I am going to meet a breeder to see what the breed is really like, so excited :ThumbsUp:

We would love to see pictures of the kitten you are putting a deposit on!!! That is so exciting! But, be sure to remove the name of the cattery from your post (as it's not allowed on this site, and the admin's will remove it.)

Anways, Good Luck in your research, and hope to see pictures and you posting around the site!

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the site! You'll LOVE your new naked baby so much! They have the best personality. I agree the grooming is pretty important... and not all sphynx like water... so bathtime could be a draining task :) but well worth it!!
It seems like a lot of these babies have soft stool, pumpkin helps great with that, and they love it :)
They're very addicting.. i have bought 1 and adopted 2 within the last 3 years :)
Good luck and enjoy! post pictures as soon as your baby comes home!

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome Marky! Lots of helpful people here. As a whole, it's been a very sad week here and as you can read, there is so much love and support. I can't wait for you to get your first sphynx. I guarantee you will be head over heels in love! They're like no other breed!!

susi794

Staff member
Hi Marky,
Welcome to our little online community! I hope you'll find it as wonderfully imformative and supportive as we all do. As for beginning advice--check the search function of the site for threads on just about anything you need to know or feel free to ask any questions you have. Chances are that someone will know the answer or point you toward someone who does.
I am excited for you to get your little boy--you will adore him, I'm sure.
Looking forward to getting to know you better,
Susi and the gang

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Howdy Marky - I am from Texas and have had 3 sphynx cats that have passed and now have a sweet little male named Dinka. I just nick-named him monkey Butt today because he was doing somersaults on the floor with his play mouse and then he would stand up on his hind legs with his paws wide open then he wand run side ways with his back arched. So many laughs and so much joy since he came into my life a few weeks ago.:Smile:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the lair Marky. Everyone here is very friendly and helpful. I've been owned by Sphynxs for 7 years now and I can't hardly remember what my life was like without them. Brace yourself for your little boy cause you may not know it but you're about to start on the grandest love affair of your life.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Marky and welcome to Sphynxlair! Good luck on your new Sphynx kitten. Please enjoy the site!:ThumbsUp:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi and welcome to the site. Sphynx take a lot of grooming and demand a lot of attention! They are very high maintanence!! But they are also very loving, fun to be around and like no other cats! :ThumbsUp:

KushielsTart

Lairian
It's nice to meet you, and congrats on your choice! I'm originally from the Bay Area myself, but I'm in Texas now. Other than the maintenence, my one piece of advice to you is "patience". Sphynxes, especially males, get into *everything*. Breakables have to be put into cabinets, and you can't always leave stuff on counters like you do with other breeds. They like to knock stuff over just to see it fall. :) And they can be quite clumsy and knock over stuff on accident too. Not one single piece of my sculpture from art school survived my first sphynx. (My fault for not catching on fast enough and packing it away.) What's funny is that you tend to just laugh off the havoc they wreak, because it's so funny to watch them do it! Some people describe them as a cross between a monkey and a toddler in terms of mischeviousness, and it can be very true.

gunstreetgirl

Lairian
Hello!
I'm also from Northern California! I bet you're referring to the breeder in Redding. I ended up buying a cat from a different breeder (not b/c of quality differences, but because we used and both used to work for the same animal hospital). I was very impressed with the Redding breeder, and have heard great stuff about him.

Where are you from if you dont mind me asking?
I'm in Chico :ThumbsUp:

Back