Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Is a kitten from Cat show cheaper?

Marinka

Lairian
Aloha dear friends. Maybe its a stupid question but I have no idea about cat shows thats why Im asking.
And if it is cheaper how much breeders sell if they sell kittens at shows at all which I also prob have no idea what im talking about :Woo:
Any of know cat shows in Maryland?
Thank you!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I will respond to your email soon.
They do not sell many kittens at the shows.
In fact I have never seen a sphynx for sale at a show.
You can go to a show and meet some breeders though.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sometimes I've seen breeders bring kittens or retired show cats to a show to try to find them homes, it's a good start at looking for a reputable breeder, HOWEVER, you STILL need to check them out! Just because they show doesn't mean they health test or that they have the best interest for their cats at heart! There's definatly a better chance of it, but still ask about HCM screening, ask about how the cats are kept (are they kept in a cattery, as part of the family, in a dedicated part of the house seperated, etc), ask any questions you'd ask any other breeder to make sure you're getting a healthy kitten! Cost would probably be the same as if you where to buy one from the breeder directly. Good breeders aren't making money, they spend so much on the kittens and taking care of everyone, they're VERY lucky if they even break even!

Bella07

Banned
I am from PA, and yes I have actually seen Sphynx kittens (for sale) at shows near me. That was last year though, and at that time, I had no real interest in owning a Sphynx, so didn't ask the breeder any questions about price.

I assume that the breeder would charge the same amount (depending on age, etc though) But she just brought them there to get the word out about her cattery and kittens.

It wouldn't hurt to go to a show and ask if you do see them though!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
A lady saw my sphynx at a show and asked for the breeders info.
Well I wrote Wrinkles breeder and told her this lady wanted a kitten.
She bought Avatar and Wrinkles breeder sends pics of him to me.
I have given out the names of both Wrinkles and Cleo/Polars breeder at show.
Many people ask.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
ive never been to a cat show, but we go to a lot of dog shows. Often times the way a 'sale' or 'for sale' situation works is someone will ask the handlers/owner/person showing the dog if they have puppies available or the owner will say they have puppies available, then they'll exchange cards or numbers and will follow up that way. i have never seen animals for sale at a show. but know of many situations where the above situation has happened.

Marinka

Lairian
Sometimes I've seen breeders bring kittens or retired show cats to a show to try to find them homes, it's a good start at looking for a reputable breeder, HOWEVER, you STILL need to check them out! Just because they show doesn't mean they health test or that they have the best interest for their cats at heart! There's definatly a better chance of it, but still ask about HCM screening, ask about how the cats are kept (are they kept in a cattery, as part of the family, in a dedicated part of the house seperated, etc), ask any questions you'd ask any other breeder to make sure you're getting a healthy kitten! Cost would probably be the same as if you where to buy one from the breeder directly. Good breeders aren't making money, they spend so much on the kittens and taking care of everyone, they're VERY lucky if they even break even!

Thank you for good ideas. I will def ask a lot of questions if Id go

Marinka

Lairian
Thank you guys for your thoughts and help. I will def look for shows near us and maybe make my husband go with me :D

Ducky01

Lairian
There is a show coming up in a few months in northern Va, The National Capital Cat Show. It is in September and I went last year and had an AMAZING time and met quite a few Sphynx breeder's.

You can google it and I believe they have a website and like $1 off coupon, if you don't live to far up into MD it is well worth the trip!!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ive seen lots of cats for sale at cat shows. The last show I did in Montreal there were two sphynx kittens for sale. I think they were $1000 each. Very cute but not any cheaper.
When you look at forms for cat shows, there is a line where it says "Sales cages" for breeders who want to sell cats and there is a fee.
Seems like a good way to meet breeders...

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Kittens ARE sold at cat shows though- you can pay to bring them along and cage them in your benching areas. On one hand, I think it's a great idea- maybe someone has been looking for a Sphynx for a long time and you get to meet them in person, they get to meet the babies, etc, etc... You could call references that night, I guess, and look things up- have contracts on hand if you make a sale.

BUT on the other hand, it also pushes impulse sales. There is a breeder in Utah- who no KIDDING- had like three sheets of paper with all types of kitten pics- from babies to older- for sale at one of my last shows. And she said while she didn't bring them to the show, she had them either at the hotel or in her RV- I didn't quite catch that part.

To be honest, that REALLY turned me off. It's one thing to have one or two kittens from a litter still looking for homes at 5-6 months. It's another to have DOZENS.

Back