Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

is his pot belly normal?

Amajor87

Lairian
Hi im a new Sphynx mommy and I noticed my baby has a huge pot belly. He was at the vet today and he didnt mention anything about it. I noticed it just tonight how big it looked. Could his belly be so big from eating too much? Is this normal? Thanks!!
IMG_6544.JPG.jpeg IMG_6545.JPG.jpeg IMG_6409.JPG.jpeg

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
Did you take these pictures after he ate?
If not, he needs to be checked for guardia.
Take a stool sample have it checked.
Does he eat good?
Is his poo normal?
Does he drink water?
I would get a 2nd opinion about the belly.
To be sure. Sphynx do get a swag from the belly
but, yours isn't swag.

Amajor87

Lairian
It wasnt immediately after he ate but he hadnt gone to the bathroom yet when I took them. He did just have a loose poop. He eats non stop and drinks water but not as much as he eats.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Amajor87 ,I don't have kitten experience but wanted to chime in that it is always good to get a stool sample check.
I would call back your vet amd seek their recommendation ..and share those pics
My vet will accept emailed pics to take a look

Some vets may treat for giardia in case a false negative

Sphynx do eat ! They have a higher metabolism and can be little piggies :)
My sphynx all have sphynx belly swag

Always best to follow up with your vet for peace of mind

Welco,e to the lair family ! What's your babies name
Looking forward to your journey pics and tales!

Last edited:

Amajor87

Lairian
I don't have kitten experience but wanted to chime in that it is always good to get a stool sample check

Sphynx do eat ! They have a higher metabolism amd can be little piggies :)
My sphynx all have sphynx belly

Does his belly look like a normal "sphynx belly" ? Im concerned because his poop was just loose but he is also on antibiotics for his eye and ears. Plus he is adjusting to our house and on the food we have (i'm not sure what the breeder was feeding him) so i'm wondering if his stomach could be upset because of that?

Yoda mom

Staff member
I never had a baby sphynx so can't comment on what is normal

I would chat with your vet and
ask if the antiobitcs could cause loose stool -
Yes , a quick change of food can do it too

What food is he eating ?
A teaspoon of 100 % pure pumpkin may help with poo issues while transitioning to new food .
Be sure not to store the open can in the fridge - you can freeze in small comtainer amd warm up to the touch.

Also if you put a water bowl away from the food many will drink more water -
I put ome across the room amd they sit and wait for it to be filled and changed

all 4 of mine drink away from their food dish and will not drink from waterbowls next to their food

What antibiotics is he on ? what was his diagnosis?

What's your cuties name,?

Amajor87

Lairian
I have been giving him wellness kitten wet food and he had a bit of fancy feast today which i'm thinking I shouldn't have done that now :( I should mention according to the vet records he came with he was dewormed twice in August. He is on Terramycin for his eye and then drops for his ear.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You could ask what the breeder was feeding and continue that until he gets settled :) My breeder is always open for questions, and of course picture updates lol so I am making the assumption all breeders are ok with that.
Hopefully it is nothing serious!!! My girl gets a HUGE stomach if I let her eat whatever she wants: she has no off switch, so I can free feed. But I got her a 9mo so I cant say anything about little babies

Amajor87

Lairian
Good morning everyone. This is how his belly looks this morning. Much better i'm thinking? (of course I would love everyones opinion) Im thinking maybe I just let him eat too much. Ill grab the pumpkin today and hopefully his poop will look better.IMG_6552.JPG.jpeg IMG_6553.JPG.jpeg IMG_6550.JPG.jpeg

Amajor87

Lairian
So he had a normal poop first thing this morning but maybe a half hour-hour after eating the wellness wet food he had much softer poop with a little bit of fresh blood. Do you guys think this is the food? My vet is closed today but I will be contacting him tomorrow for advice as well.

Amajor87

Lairian
He goes back and forth from having solid poop to loose poop. I have a feeling its because of the food but were bringing a sample in today just to be safe. Fingers crossed its nothing!

Back