Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Just had to take my baby boy to the ER.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My manx had them al the time but we knew what they were from.
Cats with HCM can have seizures when the blood to the brain is cut off.
I hope he will be ok.
l

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Oh my god Brooke, I hope you and Nelson come thru this okay and he can be treated. I'm so sorry this is happening. I hope the best for you. We have our fingers and paws crossed for you. xoxo

susi794

Staff member
Brooke,
I'm sitting here with tears running down my face--poor little Nelson! I hope it is something simple that can be treated easily. And not HCM related. I feel so bad for you--I know you're hurting and I feel so powerless to do or say anything that will help. It's just not fair. So, am hitting my knees and praying you two have lots and lots of time yet to spend together. :Cry:

Brooke

Banned
Well, he hasn't had any more episodes. I did tons of research last night and I'm convinced he's not having seizures and it's not epilepsy. I think he's having syncopal episodes related to HCM. Basically it's like fainting or brief episodes of unconsciousness. HCM explains the episodes and explains the breathing problems that had him in the ER...

So, I've got him scheduled for an echo on Friday.

From what I'm reading, these episodes can indicate a precursor to saddle thrombus, which is when they throw a clot and become paralyzed in their back half. I'm gonna talk to my vet today about getting him on aspirin to try to avoid that until I have a clear HCM diagnosis and can get him on medication.

This really sucks! But, at least I have some answers that make sense.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh no, Brooke :Sweat: How scary! Me & all my little ones are praying for you & Nelson. Please let us know what the vet says. I have an HCM+ kitty and if aspirin might someday be of use to her, that would be great to know. In the meantime, my thoughts are SO with you guys :Cry:

tessblack

Banned
Oh Brooke I am so sorry. I am glad to hear that he is ok though, kept thinking about you last night and got on here first thing. I am getting to ready to head to our first race of the year and have to leave the kitties with a sitter. They come here everyday but I am always worried about stuff like that. I am getting them in for there echo hopefully the end of this month! Thinking about you.

susi794

Staff member
Hope the aspirin does some preventative good. Hang in there and know we're pulling for Nelson! We love you Brooke!

gizmo6370

Banned
Glad to hear that he didn't have any more seizures....to bad that you have to wait untill friday for his scan....isn't their some place where you can go earlier ?
Hugs from all of us overhere :Smile:

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am glad that he has not had anymore episodes. Hopefully the asprin will help until you can get him in for his echo. ** big hugs ** from Lemmy and me!!

Pbinky

Banned
Aspirin would be a good idea. I wish you could get in sooner for the echo. My pink boys and i are very concerned and i hope that things will be ok.:Sweat:

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Brooke it was nice to meet you today!!

I am sorry to hear about Nelson!! I hope he still has a long happy life with you!!!!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Just wanted to let you know your still in my thoughts. I hope he is still doing ok and no more events happen prior to Friday. Goodluck and keep us posted! xoxoxo

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm sorry to hear about Nelson's seizures. I've only ever had a dog that had them. But it sounds like you think from his symptoms that it is not epilepsy anyway. :Cry::Cry: Nelson is so lucky to have a loving momma that can read his symptoms and get him the treatment he needs asap! I hope you get answers soon.

PitRottMommy

Banned
I'm sorry to hear about Nelson's seizures. I've only ever had a dog that had them. But it sounds like you think from his symptoms that it is not epilepsy anyway. :Cry::Cry: Nelson is so lucky to have a loving momma that can read his symptoms and get him the treatment he needs asap! I hope you get answers soon.

Yes, indeed, he's a very lucky boy. Hopefully with early diagnosis, early treatment will put Mr. Nelson ahead of the game :ThumbsUp:

Brooke

Banned

Thanks, everybody. I have to give the credit to Pitrottmommy (my dear friend) who figured this out even before my vet did! (Sami, you're like Dr. House :LOL:)

So far no more episodes. He's lazier than usual but having moments of being his typical bratty self and still eating like a horse. A good appetite always makes me a little more comfortable.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
OMG, how did I miss this until now? I'll have to go back through and read all the updates, but I just wanted to say I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers! Seizures can be a scary thing, btu as long as you can get on top of them the animal can live a normal life - My little Aiyana has a grand mal seizure last year that scared me to death, but thankfully that seizure also lead us to find the liver problem that had until that point ment left un-diagnosed, and now that I've gotten ontop of the liver problem, seizures with her are rare, when she does have a seizure, I know that I need to get her in and get tests re-done so we can adjust things as needed to keep on top of everything. It's alot of work, but so worth it to see my little girl back to her old self - she was pretty sick for almost 6 months before she had that first seizure and I finally found a vet who figured it all out!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks for the update. Glad he doing alright right now.

I like the Dr. House reference! Sami's definitely got an overload of sphynx patients - although primarily virtual now, what if we start making a yearly pilgrimage for checkups? How many months til the DVM now? :LOL:

PitRottMommy

Banned
Thanks, everybody. I have to give the credit to Pitrottmommy (my dear friend) who figured this out even before my vet did! (Sami, you're like Dr. House :LOL:)

So far no more episodes. He's lazier than usual but having moments of being his typical bratty self and still eating like a horse. A good appetite always makes me a little more comfortable.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: I swear, he and Baldwin are related! Can't do anything without a full belly. I think even on a bad day that Baldwin would eat his portions just so he could say that no other cat in this household ate it and I'll bet Nelson's the same way.

Glad I could help, let's just hope all this information does Nelson some good! Thank goodness I've got so much information at my finger tips. I can't take all the credit, I have to give some to a good friend of mine that lets me use his VIN account. That place rocks!

Back