Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitten Overnight in Emergency

Hey guys,

I came home from work today and Vesper was weakly calling from the bedroom. As I got closer he came up to me wailing louder and louder, wide eyed and telling me something was wrong. There was vomit on the bed and squishy yellow poo on the floor.

Oddly enough he was scheduled in less than an hour for a routine shot so off to the vet we went.

He could walk but was slow and lots of crying while holding eye contact. He got a hydration shot and anti-nausea shot plus general panel blood tests with results due tomorrow morning.

Blood was taken from his legs and one leg swelled up like crazy. He got prescribed some oral medication but refused to eat it. Few hours later he is crying, can't get up, peed himself and so we packed him up and took him to 24-hour emerg.

They put him on oxygen and took blood tests again (regular vet office now closed). One hour later they have just called me with results:

-FIP/FIPV negative
-Not anemic
-Very high white blood cell count
-Normal urine
-Low glucose
-Still dehydrated
-Radiology scans unconclusive

Likely an infection or cancerous. They have him on an IV and antibiotics and staying under their care in emerg, and they might run an ultrasoumd overnight.

Little baby yesterday he was ripping back and forth across the house like a psycho and bouncing off the walls, eating up a storm and snuggling with us all night long.

Anyone have any similar experience? I'll let you guys know as it unfolds.

Heres little bat cat right before I took him to the first vet today <3 <3 <3

Attachments

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Lair Prayers are sent. With how fast the change occurred I will remain positive he is trying to fight off an infection. Please keep us posted.

Vespertilio passed away at 4am this morning, 3 hours after my post. We are absolutely heartbroken, my body is still shaking, he was only 4 months old.

Bailey21

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Lisa Bradley OMG my heart hurts for you. Your sweet boy got his angel wings much before his time. I am so very sorry for your loss, and so suddenly and unexpectedly. Sending many hugs your way :kiss: Did the vet say what caused him to get so sick so suddenly? :cry:

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Lisa Bradley oh no! My heart breaks for you. I'm so sorry of the loss of your beloved Vesper. How awful you had to lose him at such a young age and so unexpected.
Hugs for you

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lisa Bradley , ((((hugs)))) I am so so sorry that Vesper got his angel wings :(

I wish a big (((hug))) could bring a sliver of comfort for the loss of your baby Vesper.

We are here for you .

He only knew your love

Fly free amd high sweet ^Vesper "
Rest in peace sweet baby

"Replied the glorious cat
For I will whisper into their hearts
That I am always with them
I just am....forever and ever and ever. "
-from poem for cats
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm very sorry for your loss Lisa. :cry:
Many hugs and love send.

Thank you guys, what a small blip of happiness I shared with this little energetic kitten. Each reply brings on another wave of tears but I think helps with the healing. I just can't believe he is gone.

I recieved the results of his first blood test this morning and his liver enzyme levels were >5000 units, when they were supposed to be ~160 units. should find out more info soon. Poor Vesper baby.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Oh no...I am so sorry your baby got their wings...fly high little one. The love you you spread on this earth was bigger than you ever were. Your memory is forever in many hearts.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am so sorry to hear this news, and sorry for your loss. If you went through a breeder, check the contract and contact them before you make any final decisions about how he will rest. I hope you can find some answers and peace.

I’m so sorry. My boys are 4 months old. That is not fair and so scary. I hope they can give you some answers. So far before his time. I pray you get some solace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Tragic and I'm so sorry. I know it's almost pointless but I hope you get some answers. Fly high Vesper!