Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kittens, kittens, kittens

CuryC

Lairian
Ok, you guys have been so helpful with all your advice with all things sphynx...now I need just a little more help.
So I have narrowed down the breeder, and all along I was wanting a female kitten, I just thought it would mesh better in the house. But after research there really is no difference after getting fixed, and people tell me boys snuggle more.
Soooooo
How did you pick?
Also, the breeder has 2 moms that have babies...and I am unsure if I should go with a pink male, a tuxedo male, or a black female.
Which would you pick?...sorry unable to post pics from work, but trust me, they are ALLLLLLL SOOOOO CUTEEEEE.
Hub said to go with the tux since it has the best of both...but I already have plans getting another in a year or so.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I can't really be of much help, since I literally have one of each that you mentioned :ROFLMAO: Are you able to meet the kittens in advance to see which one's personality you prefer? I always lean to which personality fits best in the house hold. At least I can warn you that tuxedos are VERY mischievous and can be naughty little things! My solid black female is definitely the most affectionate of all 3. She wants love 24/7 and follows me everywhere. My boys are still very cuddly, but more on their own terms.

CuryC

Lairian
Oh man! I already have a crazy little fluffy lady that my daughter just "had to have her" haha and she runs around the house all hours of the night, I opened the blinds so she can see, but I guess it wasn't enough for her so she tore up not 1 but 2 sets on the same window, and she will tell you if she is hungry and wants to eat :0, but that's our sweet girl and we wouldn't trade her for the world.
I'm leaning toward the black female...just because I want to add a pink male later. I'm not interested in breeding, just my looks.
The drive for me is like 6 hours, and I would be willing to make the trip but she doesn't let anyone meet the kitties until they have shots and I feel like that will be too late and all will have a deposit.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I would lean toward the female personally just because I have a female now that I love so dearly. I also feel like the relationship you have with females is more complicated (in a good way) than with males. But males are easier to please so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CuryC

Lairian
I would lean toward the female personally just because I have a female now that I love so dearly. I also feel like the relationship you have with females is more complicated (in a good way) than with males. But males are easier to please so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So this is my dilemma! I have a boy and girl right now, fluffy cats. The crazy girl is about a year old, and the boy is 14 years. He is the sweetest snuggle-bug. Not that the girl wont, she of course will...but its on her terms. I think mostly because she wants to play all the time.
In saying that, I also don't want to create a bad vibe between the cats-be it boys or girls. I want everyone to get along and be happy.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@CuryC
Go with your gut and the personality of fluffy cats(names ? Pics ? All are lair family :))
She sounds like a hoot! Your boy sounds sweet ! Gotta love seniors!

I have 1 female amd three males
All bonded and equeally cuddly with me and each other.

The breeder can help with kitten personalities amd a fit for fluffy cats

Yes very true that visitations of tiny babies often restricted to protect health of kitties-
That’s where a reputable breeders knowledge amd experiemce comes into play for a purrfect fit-
My darker black male is a freshy but not as mischievious as I see tuxedos kitties here

I have found when growing up the females took longer to bond with each other
As compared to male bengals amd sphynx I have had in my lifetime
So I went with more males

My girl sphynx is the boss of her “underlings “ lol amd more prissy prissy than the boys

Following closely for updates !

CuryC

Lairian
@CuryC
Go with your gut and the personality of fluffy cats(names ? Pics ? All are lair family :))
She sounds like a hoot! Your boy sounds sweet ! Gotta love seniors!

I have 1 female amd three males
All bonded and equeally cuddly with me and each other.

The breeder can help with kitten personalities amd a fit for fluffy cats

Yes very true that visitations of tiny babies often restricted to protect health of kitties-
That’s where a reputable breeders knowledge amd experiemce comes into play for a purrfect fit-
My darker black male is a freshy but not as mischievious as I see tuxedos kitties here

I have found when growing up the females took longer to bond with each other
As compared to male bengals amd sphynx I have had in my lifetime
So I went with more males

My girl sphynx is the boss of her “underlings “ lol amd more prissy prissy than the boys

Following closely for updates !

Thank you so much for your input.
I will for sure add a pic of them when I am home, they're so sweet and really took to each other within a week. A hiss from the old guy a couple times and now they play together until he's done and he will sit on her :0
My mom is a cat collector, she has 6, all but one are males. She said that they seem to get along better. She used to work for a vets office for about 20 years, and recommended a boy. I just want what's best for all the kitties in the house, not just my preference. So I really appreciate you all giving me feedback!

I just can't believe I am so close to getting my little kitty!! I've only been waiting 2 years! Hub is already on board for a second. I took him to a cat show here in Florida, and he met the mommy <3 He loved her!

Yoda mom

Staff member
Omg I missed the Florida show ! Keep me updated on future ones!

So excited for you yours amd fluffy kitties!

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
while I only have 1 sphynx I would recommend going with your gut on this one. I have a female tortie and she comes with some occasional tude, but I wouldn't trade her for the world!! She can be snuggly on occasion (I think she prefers my husband) She does snuggle with me and shows affection in her own way. I don't have any experience with a male sphynx. She is my first and only cat and it took over 10 years for me to convince the hubby to let me get her lol!

Best of luck! Keep us posted {}

CuryC

Lairian
while I only have 1 sphynx I would recommend going with your gut on this one. I have a female tortie and she comes with some occasional tude, but I wouldn't trade her for the world!! She can be snuggly on occasion (I think she prefers my husband) She does snuggle with me and shows affection in her own way. I don't have any experience with a male sphynx. She is my first and only cat and it took over 10 years for me to convince the hubby to let me get her lol!

Best of luck! Keep us posted {}
I think my "issue" (non-issue really) is that I am able to snuggle much more with my male, and not as much with the girl. She is younger though and likes to run around...and maybe when she is older.
I just want to make sure that I am getting a friendly cat.
I have heard of "torti-tude", so I think thats a reason I am staying away from those haha

Yoda mom

Staff member
@CuryC lol sphynx are Velcro ! Lol they will follow you everywhere, be bed hogs too!
My girl like to sleep on my chest tucked in amd the boys om their blankies squishing as snug as they can with me !
They run at command “sleepy time “ to the bed om their blankies to be tucked like a sphynx burrito

I can say the female sphynx has been the most cuddly of any other breed female I have had

Male or female you are in for Velcro cat dog kid monkey all in one!
Definitely prep to kitty proof for life ! These stinkers are super smart into everyhing !
Lol I train mine like a dog ! Fetch too!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
FWIW I have 2 white sphynxes. One is always on the move and doesn't like being picked up; the other one likes to relax and doesn't mind being picked up. So I don 't think you can tell much from the color.

Age slows them down a little but it doesn't change their personality. My crazy, off the rails sphynx is already 7 and still....well, crazy.

Agree with Yoda mom that they all like to snuggle and hog the bed.

Your breeder should be able to tell you who has what personality since you seem to be very concerned with it, or you can spend a few hours and meet them. I've heard people say a bunch of times that their cats picked them.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have 2 girls.
A cream and blue, and a black.
I love them both so much!

My Elfie (cream and blue) was a rescue and she was very nervous around all males regardless of the species so when I was looking for a second I knew I needed to find a female.

CuryC

Lairian
@CuryC lol sphynx are Velcro ! Lol they will follow you everywhere, be bed hogs too!
My girl like to sleep on my chest tucked in amd the boys om their blankies squishing as snug as they can with me !
They run at command “sleepy time “ to the bed om their blankies to be tucked like a sphynx burrito

I can say the female sphynx has been the most cuddly of any other breed female I have had

Male or female you are in for Velcro cat dog kid monkey all in one!
Definitely prep to kitty proof for life ! These stinkers are super smart into everyhing !
Lol I train mine like a dog ! Fetch too!
I can't wait to get my little piece of velcro!

CuryC

Lairian
FWIW I have 2 white sphynxes. One is always on the move and doesn't like being picked up; the other one likes to relax and doesn't mind being picked up. So I don 't think you can tell much from the color.

Age slows them down a little but it doesn't change their personality. My crazy, off the rails sphynx is already 7 and still....well, crazy.

Agree with Yoda mom that they all like to snuggle and hog the bed.

Your breeder should be able to tell you who has what personality since you seem to be very concerned with it, or you can spend a few hours and meet them. I've heard people say a bunch of times that their cats picked them.
I am going to talk to her about that this evening, it is a big concern because I want household harmony between the cats.

I have 2 girls.
A cream and blue, and a black.
I love them both so much!

My Elfie (cream and blue) was a rescue and she was very nervous around all males regardless of the species so when I was looking for a second I knew I needed to find a female.

Oh see, that makes sense. Mine don't seem to have any issues with either gender...and both of them are fixed so I hope that also helps

CuryC

Lairian
Here’s the pics I promised. Maple is the smaller calico/white girl. Patch is the sweet fluffy old man. I love them dearly.

Attachments

• C38135DB-08A0-401A-A191-6A6FF815F192.jpeg
    C38135DB-08A0-401A-A191-6A6FF815F192.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 32350ABD-BF11-4B2F-BA77-58857C4F063B.jpeg
    32350ABD-BF11-4B2F-BA77-58857C4F063B.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 15
Back