Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

kitty bath

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I totally and completely blame this video for giving me false hope that Meecho would love her bath. Because after watching this I went to the store and bought all these bath toys for her and when I got her home couldn't wait to see her dabble in the water. Imagine my surprise when the only thing that I got out of the situation was soaked and bloodied. :tinysmile_tongue_t:

She is alot better now and I still hope that maybe just one day she will play in the water like this cat made me think all sphynx's did.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brooke

Banned
Kalliee, my first sphynx, Harold, used to play in the bath like that. So you can imagine how surprised I was the first time I gave Walter a bath and he fought back! He's getting better about it, too, but he won't play with toys in the tub at all. I just have to scrub him down and get it over with as soon as possible.

He totally sits still for me to clean his ears, though, and Harold used to squirm and meow like crazy when I would do his ears...

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Meecho loves to have her ears cleaned too. The bath she doesn't like, but I've changed it to where I will pick a day in the week to take a night shower with her and she seems to appreciate that more. No more scratches but she does meow loudly, especially if there is an audience of dogs in the hallway. Then they start howling and when we come out they give me dirty looks like I was murdering her or something.

PitRottMommy

Banned
how do you guys get your cats to like taking baths in the tub? i have tried bathing mine but they hate it.

Start young. Breeders should be bathing their kittens before they send them home with you so they're used to it. My breeder didn't and Baldwin likes to vocalize alot...but once he's in the bath...he likes to strut around in the bubbles. I think he thinks its worse than it is. He won't even get out when we're finished. He wants to wander around a little longer. Perhaps if I lit a candle, he'd prop his feet up and grab a good book, lol.

Brooke

Banned
Wait, Kalliee, you take a shower with Meecho??!! Am I reading that right? And she doesn't scratch you?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Thats funny both of our cats love to have their ears cleaned and well for the bath you know I have said it before. Leo does jump in the shower every once in a while though not sure if he means to he always looks A bit surprised, stay on the side with no water and bats at the the water coming down. When I shave my legs he is so funny because he follows the razor up and down and tries to grab it out of my hand, I keep telling him he doesn't need A razor he is already bald! :tinysmile_grin_t:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
No you read that right, she takes a shower with me and no scratches :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

I set up the curtain and put bottles down on it so she doesn't sneak off but she will walk around the tub with me while I'm doing my thing and then I pick her up and hold her close to my heart and start to sing to her. I'm positive I sound like a dying cat and that is why she calms down when I do. If I don't sing she will start yowling really loudly until I sing to her. For some reason the shower works best for her and I think it's because someone is in there with her and I'll massage her the whole time when I hold her. She has actually gotten to the point where she will get in the tub throughout the day now. She still runs when she sees me getting her towel because she knows it's really her turn. Each time I'm in there I try to stay a little longer so she gets more adapted to it. My goal is to get her to just come in no matter what so I don't have to do some huge setup for it.

Anyone brave enough to try with their babies :tinysmile_twink_t:

Brooke

Banned
I don't think I'm brave enough.

I tried last week to bathe Walter in the kitchen sink, thinking the smaller space might be easier than the tub. Boy was I wrong. All he did was fight to climb out the whole time. He never scratched me, but as soon as I got him all lathered up and slippery, he grabbed hold of the side of the counter and flung himself out of the sink, went flying through the air across the kitchen and landed on the tile floor and slid on his side out of the room! I was so afraid he had hurt himself landing on the hard floor like that. Of course, he ran and hid under the bed (where I need to vacuum) and got all kinds of dust stuck to his soapy wet skin and then I had to put him in the tub. Fortunately he didn't get hurt, but he got lots of treats and hugs from me, just in case. I'm just gonna stick with the bath tub from now on!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Meecho loves to have her ears cleaned too. The bath she doesn't like, but I've changed it to where I will pick a day in the week to take a night shower with her and she seems to appreciate that more. No more scratches but she does meow loudly, especially if there is an audience of dogs in the hallway. Then they start howling and when we come out they give me dirty looks like I was murdering her or something.

Maybe the dogs want in the shower too. Can you imagine a cat, human, and two large dogs taking a shower together. hahahahh now that would be funny.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yeah that is one video your guys better not hold your breath for :tinysmile_tongue_t:

I did try giving her a bath in the sink thinking that would be better too and it was a disaster. She spent so much time trying to get out that I think I was more wet then her. Worse yet she did manage to get out and ran straight for the litter box. Well lets just say I think Meecho, Me and the sink were ALL losers that night. Did you know that litter will continue to absorber liquid?? Even when it's down your drain. Thank goodness for fast acting liquid plumber.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Maybe the dogs want in the shower too. Can you imagine a cat, human, and two large dogs taking a shower together. hahahahh now that would be funny.

I have a dog that knows the word "bath tub". He's commanded this when its time for his weekly bath. He loves it too. I'll bet we'd be a great family for a potential video (Brogan does request his censor bars, though, he's modest).

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Let me know how it goes!! Meecho doesn't like taking her bath/showers but she isn't fighting me either. Actually I bought her this new sea sponge and when I turned her over to clean her belly she fell asleep!!! :Dizzy:

Maximus

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It actually went well in the shower, he was still scared but it was alot easier for me. He just stayed in the corner away from the water and I lathered him up and hosed him off. This might just have to be our new routine!

Back