Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

less poo

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ok, so Lemmy has been on his raw diet for a couple weeks now and he is not going poo nearly as much?? Is this normal? He just had a poo yesterday, but none today. It is usually about every 2-3 days. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It's only on this forum that I'd dream of clicking on a thread with this title. :LOL:

I don't raw feed, i'm researching it though as its something I want to do, so from a novice point of view; Raw food is healthier and not full of crap, so more of it is processed by the body, leaving less waste. Less waste = less poop.

I would imagine as long as Lemmy isn't constipated/ straining etc, then its probably a case of his body processing what's going in and so less is coming out... 2-3 days does seem like a long time between poops though, so I don't know *not helpful*

I'm sure some raw feeders will be along soon to help.

Lulu Bird

Lairian
It's very normal for a cat to poo less when feeding a raw diet. Just keep an eye on it and make sure he isn't straining a lot or constipated. The poo should be pretty solid too and maybe not stink as much. I have thought about feeding Peaches raw or maybe supplementing her kibble with raw.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Ok, so Lemmy has been on his raw diet for a couple weeks now and he is not going poo nearly as much?? Is this normal? He just had a poo yesterday, but none today. It is usually about every 2-3 days. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Want some input on this output, eh? :LOL:

This is entirely normal. There's nothing in the food that's a filler, therefore your cat is processing almost 100% of the items going in. Essentially, the only things that should be going through are bone, tidbits of hair/fibrous tissue, etc.

Congrats! This is why I LOVE RAW POOP!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That sounds great, I wish Mo would poo less! Seems likehe's always going! I know raw diet is better for cats digestion and firms up their poo meaning they go less frequently. As long as he's not constipated and is going atleast once a day and not having any problems he will be fine. He's probably just adjusting too. What raw food do you feed? It's difficult to get in the UK.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think I'm as new a raw feeder as you- we started around the same time. So far I've noticed smaller poop from Sophie. I think she still goes either every day or every day and a half. In my observation it is smaller and less frequent so I'm sure Lemmy is just fine! :ThumbsUp: Keeping an eye on the stools that do come out is a good indicator too- making sure they're solid.

Brooke

Banned
Totally normal!

Like everyone said, make sure there's no straining, etc. But funny you should ask this... I've been down with the flu this week so I let the litterbox go a little longer than usual. When I cleaned them last night, I was also taken back by the surprisingly small amount of poo that was in the box. Mine probably only go every other day and they are very small and odorless! Still plenty of urine, though....

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well, all this info makes me feel lots better!! I will keep an eye on him as far as straining...which I have not seen and just be happy that it is less mess I have to clean. He does still pee the same amount, so I guess he is on the right track!! Thanks guys!!

PitRottMommy

Banned
Totally normal!

Like everyone said, make sure there's no straining, etc. But funny you should ask this... I've been down with the flu this week so I let the litterbox go a little longer than usual. When I cleaned them last night, I was also taken back by the surprisingly small amount of poo that was in the box. Mine probably only go every other day and they are very small and odorless! Still plenty of urine, though....

That's exactly like mine. I can go a full week without scooping the box and when I do it's mostly urine. I'd say at least 80% urine.

How is raw meat difficult to get in England? If you can buy it from the market for yourself, your cat can eat it. I would recommend getting the whole chickens/cornish hens/turkey/lamb and just cutting it up yourself. Any pet store should have a good supplement you can use such as Missing Link or an online store that supplies your area should be fine. I don't recommend using the pre-ground meats as they contain higher amounts of e. coli and salmonella from being handled over and over again. And definitely do not feed pork as it can contain tapeworm cysts that can infect your pet, even if frozen beforehand.

Back