Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Litter Box Rebellions!

This thread is honestly a cry for help on how to get my 6month old kitten to use her litter box.

Sorry if the title sounds misleading lol

Long starry as short as possible I think I have tried everything with this kitten. She came home Dec, 23,2009 So I have had her for less than a month.

She has only used the litter box once on her own since shes been here.

I have tried different types of litter as well as very little to no litter in the pan.
Ive tried multi pans. Right now I have 6 litter boxes in my house.
Every time she poops around the house I scrub it down and throw a litter box over it.

I'm pretty sure its not that she has trouble finding it because she has no trouble finding my bath tub again and using it for pee and poops.

I started filling it up with water she discovered under my bed had no problems remembering where that was.

I've tried holding her I'm hand picking up the poop taking it to the litter box and "showing" her what she needs to do.

Ive tried just isolating her to one room the bathroom with her food water and litter boxes (2) and she still poops and pees all around but in them.
I have tried scooping the litter boxes more than twice a day, please anyone with any advice plz help I'm about ready to call her a dud sadly and give her up.

P.S. I have two other adult cats in the home but she seams fine with them and she lived with her parents and litter mates until she came home to me so I would think she wouldn't freak out with multi cats around.

susi794

Staff member
Are you putting any of her poop in the litter and leaving it there so she can smell it in there? There is also a product called something like Litter Attract that you can sprinkle in the litterbox that is supposed to attract them to use the box. Did you ask the breeder what kind of box and litter they used with her? Are you using an enzymatic cleaning solution to clean up accidents? Sounds like you've tried a lot of things already...wish I could be of more help.

Are you putting any of her poop in the litter and leaving it there so she can smell it in there? There is also a product called something like Litter Attract that you can sprinkle in the litterbox that is supposed to attract them to use the box. Did you ask the breeder what kind of box and litter they used with her? Are you using an enzymatic cleaning solution to clean up accidents? Sounds like you've tried a lot of things already...wish I could be of more help.

Contacted her breeder and she said she used tidy cats for multi cats. Also yes I am placing and leaving her poop there for her. I used Mr. Clean to clean the box out completely like once a week but they are scooped daily.

Brooke

Banned
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new kitten! I'm so sorry all the joy of the new baby is being overshadowed by her problem... but, you're not alone.

Here's a link to another thread by a member who had a similar problem, and in that thread you'll find a link to yet another thread with even more litter issues. It sounds like you've tried almost everything, but hopefully you'll see something there that you may have missed, and might just be the ticket to getting the new kid to use her litter box!

I would recommend Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract litter if you haven't tried it yet. (Available at PetSmart). I use it every time I transition my cats to a different kind of box, just to make sure they don't have any problems...works every time!

Best of luck to you. Please keep us posted...I'd love to see you enjoying this new kitty instead of having to clean up after her all the time!

abbyknitter

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Welcome! I'm sorry your baby is having a problem...there are lots of knowledgeable and sweet people on sphynxlair and I'm sure they will be able to help...I wish I could be of some help to you,but i'm not very experienced, I have my first kitten right now, so i'm learning too...Good Luck!:ThumbsUp:

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
This thread is honestly a cry for help on how to get my 6month old kitten to use her litter box.

Sorry if the title sounds misleading lol

Long starry as short as possible I think I have tried everything with this kitten. She came home Dec, 23,2009 So I have had her for less than a month.

She has only used the litter box once on her own since shes been here.

I have tried different types of litter as well as very little to no litter in the pan.
Ive tried multi pans. Right now I have 6 litter boxes in my house.
Every time she poops around the house I scrub it down and throw a litter box over it.

I'm pretty sure its not that she has trouble finding it because she has no trouble finding my bath tub again and using it for pee and poops.

I started filling it up with water she discovered under my bed had no problems remembering where that was.

I've tried holding her I'm hand picking up the poop taking it to the litter box and "showing" her what she needs to do.

Ive tried just isolating her to one room the bathroom with her food water and litter boxes (2) and she still poops and pees all around but in them.
I have tried scooping the litter boxes more than twice a day, please anyone with any advice plz help I'm about ready to call her a dud sadly and give her up.

P.S. I have two other adult cats in the home but she seams fine with them and she lived with her parents and litter mates until she came home to me so I would think she wouldn't freak out with multi cats around.

WOW THANK GOD:BigSmile::BigSmile::BigSmile::BigSmile: I got lucky with the boys.... as soon as we got home put them in the box & that was it they were trained! I also used kitten attract for the first week or so until it was gone; that may have had something to do with it too:Wink:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry to hear about the litter box troubles. I use Dr. Elsey's litter with Cat Attract and as Brooke mentioned they also have Kitten Attract. I've never had any issues but when I added a new box she took right to it.

Another thing I did, which was Brooke's advice (thanks!) was to leave the poop in there for a couple days. I think you mentioned you do put the waste in the box but that you also clean it every day. Maybe leaving it in there will help?

Best of luck!

zoes mom

Lairian
just my two cents....leave the box uncleaned for four days if she isn't a cover up her poop kinda kitty maybe just toss some litter over the messes just so it doesn't stick to her feet! Who knows maybe you're keeping it too clean for right now to peek her senses?? I hope she doesn't have anything physically wrong with her sometimes a simple urine test/poop test to rule out urinary tract infections or worms? It's gotta be horrible and heart breaking for you right now i sure hope things turn around for you and kitty!

Back