Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

little mini bumps

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Not sure if this is normal.....

Sophie has little teeny weeny bumps on her skin. They are mostly along her back and feel like dry skin to the touch but if you look closely they are tiny bumps. It seems more apparent after a bath because her skin is drier and not slightly oily. They are the same color as her skin and don't seem bothersome.

I bought her some organic skin lotion thinking she had dry skin but I don't want to put any lotion on the bumps.

I'm not really concerned but puzzled! :Dizzy:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cleo gets those and hives after baths sometimes.

do you think I should put lotion on her or just let her be? I haven't put any lotion on her yet at all.

Do Cleo's bumps go away soon after her bath or before her next? I will be paying closer attention to Sophie now that they seem to be happening after the bath.

Brooke

Banned
do you think I should put lotion on her or just let her be? I haven't put any lotion on her yet at all.

Do Cleo's bumps go away soon after her bath or before her next? I will be paying closer attention to Sophie now that they seem to be happening after the bath.

Nelson gets the same thing on his chest and throat for a few days after his bath. Just like you described, they're the same color as his skin, feels like a dry patch but it's actually little bumps. They don't seem to bother him at all, not itchy, not red. I'm sure it's dry skin from the shampoo, because that's the place where he gets the most dirty and I have to scrub him with a washcloth to get him clean. I've also not used any lotion on it because he'll just lick it off.

I do have some coconut after-bath oil spray I got from the vet for Helen's dry skin, that would probably help. Hmm, sorry, typing and thinking at the same time here...I'll try it after his bath on Thursday night and let you know if it works! If so, then coconut oil just might do the trick for Sophie, too. Will keep ya posted!

I'm still trying to find a shampoo that is strong enough to clean off his filth and won't dry out his skin at the same time...Dawn has been the best so far - his bumps were worse when I used J&J Baby Shampoo. ...go figure!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Nelson gets the same thing on his chest and throat for a few days after his bath. Just like you described, they're the same color as his skin, feels like a dry patch but it's actually little bumps. They don't seem to bother him at all, not itchy, not red. I'm sure it's dry skin from the shampoo, because that's the place where he gets the most dirty and I have to scrub him with a washcloth to get him clean. I've also not used any lotion on it because he'll just lick it off.

I do have some coconut after-bath oil spray I got from the vet for Helen's dry skin, that would probably help. Hmm, sorry, typing and thinking at the same time here...I'll try it after his bath on Thursday night and let you know if it works! If so, then coconut oil just might do the trick for Sophie, too. Will keep ya posted!

I'm still trying to find a shampoo that is strong enough to clean off his filth and won't dry out his skin at the same time...Dawn has been the best so far - his bumps were worse when I used J&J Baby Shampoo. ...go figure!

Thanks Brooke! I've been using Dawn in the bath water then a small amount of Tropiclean on a wash cloth because I love the way it smells. She doesn't get very dirty or oily just her paws and nail beds get gunky. I should probably just stick with the Dawn only.

I do still need to pick up some coconut oil. I'm going back to the vet in 2 weeks for ANOTHER check on her poor ears so yeah if the spray works let me know!

Glad you guys have seen this too- I totally expected to see dry skin when I felt this.

Fountainrunner

Lairian
Please help, my kitty has red bumps under his neck. I think he gets them from my scrubbing him when I bath him (it's the only way to get him clean!). I bath him at least twice a week or more because he gets so dirty especially under his neck. How do I clean him and prevent these patches of red bumps. I use Dawn and then dry him, that's it.

I also notice that the color of his body is more red than normal. He was a nice light pink and now he's more deep red in color. It doesn't look normal. Any help?

CrestieRsq

Lairian
Dawn, as in dishwashing liquid? Egads, that can't be good for their skin can it? I use Oil of Olay liquid body soap or Ivory liquid body soap on Frankie. Works great and doesn't strip his skin of all the oils.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Leo gets red sometimes after his bath but I swear its because when I am done he spends like 5 hours licking himself, (other wise he never does).

Fountainrunner

Lairian
Leo gets red sometimes after his bath but I swear its because when I am done he spends like 5 hours licking himself, (other wise he never does).

I swear my kitty licks and bites at himself after I bath him but I'm not sure if that is the cause of the bumps. I think he's always done that.

Fountainrunner

Lairian
Dawn, as in dishwashing liquid? Egads, that can't be good for their skin can it? I use Oil of Olay liquid body soap or Ivory liquid body soap on Frankie. Works great and doesn't strip his skin of all the oils.

Yes, Dawn is the best! It's the only thing that will get him clean. I actually have Ivory body soap so I might try that out too.

Brooke

Banned
Yes, Dawn is the best! It's the only thing that will get him clean. I actually have Ivory body soap so I might try that out too.

Yes, I also use Dawn - it's great - remember, this is the same stuff they used to clean all the animals in Alaska after the Valdez oil spill. It is completely safe, and gets them cleaner than anything else I've tried.

Nelson also gets little bumps on his chest and neck after the bath, and I'm pretty sure it's also from scrubbing to get him clean. I tried using some coconut oil bath spray afterward, thinking it would help, but didn't notice any difference. With Nelson, it always goes away after a couple of days.

Fountainrunner

Lairian
UPDATE: I just cleaned my monster with the Ivory Body Liquid. I didn't realize I had a whole bottle full under the bathroom sink. Anyway, I love how Ivory really lathers him up (unlike Dawn) and he still comes out clean. I'll rotate between the two. I have enough Dawn and Ivory to not have to purchase any soap for him for a long time. :BigSmile:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
UPDATE: I just cleaned my monster with the Ivory Body Liquid. I didn't realize I had a whole bottle full under the bathroom sink. Anyway, I love how Ivory really lathers him up (unlike Dawn) and he still comes out clean. I'll rotate between the two. I have enough Dawn and Ivory to not have to purchase any soap for him for a long time. :BigSmile:

Thats too funny about not having to buy any for A long time! If you are like me you could probably go A year before having to buy any bathroom or kitchen soaps cleaners ect. I have this bad habbit of buying A ton when its on sale and sticking it all in A cabinet and then buying more next time I go shopping:Laugh: Oh well I guess we will always be clean.

Fountainrunner

Lairian
My local supermarket has a huge sale on soaps including liquid soaps and body washes at least twice a year and with coupons they're practically pennies, so I definitely stock up too. lol

Regarding the red bumps on my monster, I put cocoa butter on him and the next morning - ALL GONE. :Smile:

I try to use soap-free cream body washes as much as possible. They don't dry out the skin. Sometimes I get the Dove brand, but most times it's Equate brand Sensitive Skin cream body wash. Definitely don't use on the face though, that stuff burns the eyes like nobody's business. I use it myself and ouch it stings the eyes! It makes him nice and white though.

Try to use a body wash instead of shampoos. Shampoos are drying and can create those little red petechial bumps. I like those J&J baby washes for the face.

Mane N Tail conditioner or Hoofmaker is great to use during the bath or afterwards(hoofmaker, not the conditioner). Baron always comes out incredibly soft.

ja&roo

Lairian
I use John Paul's oatmeal pet shampoo ( co- founder of paul mitchell ) They've come out with a whole pet care line. It works great to get the boys clean, and so far their skin has done great with it!

Smeigle had these bumps for about 3 days, and after reading this blog I used coconut oil on his head neck and chest. I'm now posting 12 hours after I tried the coconut oil an it's gone!
Thanks!!

Franksmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i use baby wash not shampoo, I like the Johnsons Vanilla it get Frank clean and he stays clean a lot longer

Back