Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

male breeding pregnant female?

MELODIEROCK

Lairian
I've been breeding my male for a few years now and I got a new female to replace my old. This is her first pregnacy. She's about 30 days pregnant ant my male just started molesting her last night. She had tried to fight him but he breed her once before I could get in the room to save her. Is there any damage he could have done to her and the babies? He's living at my mom's house now, to keep him awayfrom her. Any sugestions? And was there any harm done to her or the babies?

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I seem to recall something about cats being able to have more than one pregnancy/ uterus at at time...

off to look it up...

...yup, superfetation is the technical term, but it is unlikely to occur

link

Last edited:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I seem to recall something about cats being able to have more than one pregnancy/ uterus at at time...

off to look it up...

link

Thanks for looking this up Fester. I remember hearing that "a multiple" pregnancy was possible in cats but I wasn't sure what the window of opportunity is for that to occur.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
cats are spontaneous ovulators. Ovulation is triggered by the male removing his penis from the cats vagina after ejaculation. The male has barbs on his penis and they scrape along the vaginal wall to trigger ovulation. Cats with litters of up to 3 different fathers have been known to occur.
Thats all I know about cat breeding!
No idea on timelines, etc but logically I think the female would have to have sex with different partners within 24 hrs or so, not a month apart! Otherwise she would have babies due at very different dates.
Im sure theres lots of breeders that can help you with your questions and I am also interested in the answers!

Adventures of A Naked Cat

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would have her checked by the vet.
He could damage the kitten.
It is true there can be 3 sires of a litter but that has to occur within 5 days of getting preg.
I know alot about pregnancy in cats.
I have raised many kittens.
Your cat is already 30 days preg so that would not occur.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It can cause her to miscarry, even the stress of him trying can cause her to be stressed and miscarry or absorb the kittens.

If possible I would keep them seperated if he is harrassing her.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

off to look it up...

link

Wow! There is so much i don't know about!

MELODIEROCK

Lairian
Wow! Thank you all for all the info on this. I live in a very remote town 3 hours from any city with a good vet so asking m vet is alittle worthless. I'm going to keep them seperated and hope for the best. He has never done this before to my other female before her. I will definately let you all know what comes about this though.

Back