Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My last thread.. HEART BROKEN..

gooslapa

Lairian
this will b my last thread.. and probably my last post.. as i sit here in tears, you can understand why i had to cut and paste my letter to the breeder instead of rewrite the horrible novel over again.. i don't know if i want to take more pictures with/of him..(i have a bunch of him but none of us).. or if i just want to delete everything.. i cant believe im in tears.. and to this extent.. over a cat.. that iv only had two days.. anyways.. my apologies for the 3,000 word essay:

Cried myself to sleep, crying all morning..couldn't even hide the tears at the vet.. I think i told you about my ulcerative colitis at first when i was stressed out about not getting you the deposit fast enough for Chaps.. Anyways, because of it.. i have a compromised immune system (which im sure u know seeing as you teach)..

I've grown up around cats, I've lived with them, roomates have had them.. a friend of mine and a tattoo arist/friend of mine have actual sphynx's and nothings ever bothered me.. ONE time when i was little, i tried to save a hurt old beat up dirty cat.. carried him home petting him, and when i got to the door my eye was swollen.. needles to say my mom didn't let me keep THAT cat, but seeing as i was exposed to numerous cats ALL the time.. we chalked it up to the fact that the cat had more allergens and dander and.. well, crap stuck on him.. and that that was what made me react..

since then i've been around and like i said roomed with other cats due to roomates or my living situation.. and NONE of them did ANYTHING to me..

Now when i picked out Chaps.. i had been researching FOREVER.. i even got as lucky to have my friend let me cat sit his all blue sphynx for a few days to "MAKE SURE" i wanted one.. OH I WANTED ONE.. and once again, just like other cats i've been around for years.. NO REACTIONS.. except LOVE..

so seeing as im kind of OCD with things, i thought back to that time as a child.. and even though i had just had a sphynx roomate for the last three days n nights i went out, bought a new vacuum with a HEPA filter, bought a $200 Stand up HEPA air sanitizer.. microfiber sheets, ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING to fight allergens.. JUST IN CASE.. set up all that stuff about a week ago.. so that Chaps would have an allergy free environment too and I was set..

Well, the car ride home was AMAZING.. halfway he just slept on my brothers lap.. then when i dropped off my brother, he slept on mine for the remainder.. we got home and played all night.. he loves his HUGE cat tree and the little "punching bags" that hang from it and he loves my laptop.. but more that anything.. HE LOVES ME.. AND I LOVE HIM!! No sickness, doctor says he's great.. he's been eating well.. made it to and IN to the litter box.. well, actually.. i have him starting out on the "litter quitter", anyways.. he's doing great with that and made it three times.. night times a breeze.. HE.. IS.. PERFECT...

so why cant i stop crying..

like i said, ride home.. perfect.. first night.. amazing.. first morning.. woke up with a couple little bumps/hives on my arm.. i immediately started to cry.. i went straight to the store.. talked to the pharmacist in cvs.. and bought the most expensive allergy pills i could.. took them.. and went back home.. got home.. baby wiped him down.. held him close and prayed together.. i dont know how i can say this right now, but it was cute.. he was all wrapped up in a blanket in my arms looking up at me.. i was crying and mumbling "please please...." and his eyes started tearing up.. i know its just how the breed is due to lack of eyelashes.. but the timing couldn't have been more on spot if it were a movie..

went through the day.. feeling O-K.. cuddled up with him for the second night and cried and prayed.. when i woke up(today).. the bottom half of my face where he was sleeping was covered in red bumps.. took him to the vet, everything fine with him.. just not me..

i don't know what im going to do Jayne! i was going to contact u after his first vet visit to update u regardless.. and i planned on being in touch with you here and there through out his life if that was ok.. i know what the contract says, i know he's "non refundable".. but i also know it says YOU must be contacted if he's going to be .. i cant even type the word.. KNOW RIGHT NOW THAT I WOULD NEVER "T" WORD HIM..if anything i'd live in hives for years until i found someone suitable to care for him.. but i cant.. its really hard to admit this for me, as i've been through a lot of hard times in life, and have grown to have a really hard exterior.. but i am absolutely heart broken!! and i don't know what to do.. i figured id ask you what you thought.. im sorry Jayne.. im sorry for bugging so much with all the questions and im sorry for bothering you with MY burden now.. if you have anything to say.. please do.. im sorry, i would have called.. but i couldn't even hold it together in the vets office.. i mean, you saw me signing his contract, i couldn't even hold the pen straight or spell my name right i was so excited.. there was no way i could tell you all this over the phone.. please understand, but like i said i cant hold it together, i even broke down in front of someone at work yesterday.. im so sorry Jayne.. i really hate myself right now..

gooslapa

Lairian
it is Susi, as ridiculous as this sounds, and as embarrassing as it is.. im a grown man.. broke down at work.. in front of ppl.. and just came home.. i cant stop crying.. Ive had him for two days and it feels like two decades.. i seriously haven't cried this much at funerals :Cry:

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Can you get allergy shots? I know lots of people that are allergic to pets and get them and they are fine. Some sphynx, some horses. I would deff. look into shots to see if they would help you out in any way.

gooslapa

Lairian
Can you get allergy shots? I know lots of people that are allergic to pets and get them and they are fine. Some sphynx, some horses. I would deff. look into shots to see if they would help you out in any way.

aren't those a series that take over time.. that hope you build up immunity by giving u small doses of it?? my reactions are getting worse every minute i spent with him.. i feel like im in clothes laced with itch powder.. my eyes are watery and puffy and now when he lays by me it feels hard to breathe :Cry:

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Don't be embarrassed about crying. Before you're a man, remember you're also a human being with feelings. There's just something about Sphynx cats that people have no resistance against when it comes to getting attached to them quickly. As Cathie suggested, I'd look into allergy shots. Give your dr. a call, & keep your chin up.:ThumbsUp:

gooslapa

Lairian
as far as the shots go.. if you know anyone or where or how to get them.. let me know.. but all the research Ive done says its a series of shots that really rely on chance and blah blah blah.. bit if you know ANYTHING i can do or what the shots are.. i will!!

gothicmist

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
my husband is DEATHLY alergic to regular cats and gets the same way. he takes zicam and it gets better.

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
as far as the shots go.. if you know anyone or where or how to get them.. let me know.. but all the research Ive done says its a series of shots that really rely on chance and blah blah blah.. bit if you know ANYTHING i can do or what the shots are.. i will!!

Not sure but I think you have to have an allergy test 1st which, unfortunately involves several needle pricks into your arm. Then the results help the doctor pinpoint exactly what type of allergy so they can give you the proper injection.

Have you tried taking Benadryl on a regular basis? Or perhaps Aveeno oatmeal baths?

susi794

Staff member
I have severe allergies and horrible asthma, but a physician's assistant started me on Singulair and it changed my life. It is for allergies and allows me to go from being on my inhaler many times a day, every single solitary day, to hardly ever needing it now. I'm telling you the thing is like a miracle for me. Sometimes a dose of steroids like prednisone stops an allergy issue--you might also try benydryl--anything is worth a shot. I know you love him....maybe you can build up an immunity--wish I could somehow help. I remember seeing something somewhere that you take or that you give your animal that is supposed to stop allergies to the animal--might be worth a google.
Good luck--I pray you can find something that helps you keep Chaps. And, dear friend--men cry. All it means is that you are capable of great love and feeling. We all "get it"here and no one is judging you for it--well actually, that isn't true--I just judged you--and it was a favorable judgement for caring enough about Chaps to cry for him.
Praying you can find something,
Susi and the gang

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I am so sorry for you, I can't tell you any more than what the others have already
as far as the allergy test and shots. I think it is very humble for a person to cry.
Especailly a man. It shows that you have a good heart. With lots of Love.
I will be praying for you. Best wishes.

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh my, I'm so sorry... I hope you'll be able to find something that'll make it at least bearable... I can completely understand your heartbreak! Just know we are all rooting for you here, I'm sorry I don't have any practical advice to give you but know I'm sending positive and healing thoughts your way!

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I am so sorry! This is so awful! :Cry: Like others suggested, I'd check into allergy shots. My mom was allergic to cats but we had two of them in the house all through my childhood. She gave herself injections and seemed fine. I certainly hope you're able to get better without having to give up Chaps!

Amanda Ibbotson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm so sorry to hear of your trouble and all when everythings suppose to go smooth. I honestly know nothing of allergys but just wondering if the stress of the current events aren't flairing them up even more or perhaps stress hives? Long shot I know, but I'm sending thoughs and prayers and a whole lot of hugs. Nothing wrong with crying even if you are a man, helps you de-stress and you will be able to think more clearly don't give up I know you wont:Smile:

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My boss has allergies to the outdoors and takes shots, it is a series but from what I understand they do it so she has the medication in her all the time.... not to build up tolerance. I would really look into it! Also there are 2 types of pet allergies hair/ saliva. They do make something to help with the ph balance in the saliva. Since your kitty has no hair it is likely to be saliva related.

Don't lose hope yet! And crying is no weakness, the Sphynx has a way of grabbing your heart instantly :Wink:

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The shots are a series of time which build up your immunity. But, maybe there is a medication you can find. I know some of the newer ones have had tremendous success against animals. Singulair, Zyrtec, Allergra...higher dose ones...I hope you find something, I can't imagine what you are feling. Good luck!

Jen

falaloo

Lairian
I am so sorry...and your heartbreak does not sound ridiculous at all. I hope you can find a solution. I will keep you in my prayers.

SashimisMom

Lairian
First off let me say how much I feel for you, I know you must be hurting something aweful.. Secondly, I agree with the others, there has got to be a solution. My husband was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis, unfortunately after battling it for years with different drugs, and endless prednisone, he lost his diseased colon back in 2003. as far as the crying, it kinda goes with the disease, and I feel your frustration, seen it first hand. My husband had always suffered with asthma, as I do, and he is prone to immune allergies and illnesses. We have had our baby for 3 months now, he's had ups and downs as far as allergies. He takes allergy meds. Not suggesting you can cure yourself with a pill, but there has to be an alternative.

I JUST came back from the allergist after 3 hours tonight getting tested for everything under the sun. I told him I have a Sphynx, he barked there NOT hypo allergenic, and suggested getting rid of her for my health. OR use 4 different medicines (later to wean). I would take 20 meds for her.

I am sure you probably are near exhausting all your avenues, but I implore you to go get tested, or at least get meds to alow you to have your baby.

Sorry for the rant, I just hate to see you get so close

Best to you, I hope something works out. xo

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
How you're feeling shows how much you care! Plus, I think it takes a real man to show those kind of emotions!!

I agree with what's been said about checking into allergy shots or other remedies. I had some allergy issues when I brought my baby home and starting taking a Costco brand allergy pill that kept things at bay. Over time, I don't have those issues with her anymore, like I've built up immunity to her. At first when she would be close to my face I would get a rash and itch and her saliva on my skin was an issue as well. People said to give it time and check into allergy options and I'm sure glad I stuck it out.

This product for my cat was also recommended:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Allerpet-Grooming-Emollient-Cats-12/dp/B000S0L0M4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1320724507&sr=8-10"]Amazon.com: Allerpet Grooming Emollient, C for Cats, 12 oz: Pet Supplies@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41uZ0GNDoQL.@@AMEPARAM@@41uZ0GNDoQL[/ame]

Sending thoughts and prayers your way that everything will work out.

susi794

Staff member
How you're feeling shows how much you care! Plus, I think it takes a real man to show those kind of emotions!!

I agree with what's been said about checking into allergy shots or other remedies. I had some allergy issues when I brought my baby home and starting taking a Costco brand allergy pill that kept things at bay. Over time, I don't have those issues with her anymore, like I've built up immunity to her. At first when she would be close to my face I would get a rash and itch and her saliva on my skin was an issue as well. People said to give it time and check into allergy options and I'm sure glad I stuck it out.

This product for my cat was also recommended:

Amazon.com: Allerpet Grooming Emollient, C for Cats, 12 oz: Pet Supplies

Sending thoughts and prayers your way that everything will work out.

Yes! Thank you for posting this---I KNEW I had seen something that is supposed to help with pet allergies.

wundrlust

Lairian
Quertacine plus vitamin C (spelling?) from the health food store naturally imhibits the histimines from acting up. Pop those and see if it helps. Of course natural rememdies take some time to work. You can also find a Homeopathic Dr who can help. She has one for herself and one for her dog who has numerous issues....Soft coat Wheaton Terrier. There are numerous things out there to help. You just have to try and see which one will work for you. Good Luck!

brattly2

Lairian
Not sure but I think you have to have an allergy test 1st which, unfortunately involves several needle pricks into your arm. Then the results help the doctor pinpoint exactly what type of allergy so they can give you the proper injection.

Have you tried taking Benadryl on a regular basis? Or perhaps Aveeno oatmeal baths?

They can now do a blood test that tests for your allergies instead of doing the needle tests. Its the same test that Heska uses to test the animals, my little brother just had it done 3 weeks ago.

Wrinks

Lairian
OmGOSH, i feel awful for you:( I have no advice as such, but i hope you find a solution, Id hate to see someone lose their baby.....Good Luck to you and your little one

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
They can now do a blood test that tests for your allergies instead of doing the needle tests. Its the same test that Heska uses to test the animals, my little brother just had it done 3 weeks ago.

Oh, I see. Well...if you haven't had this test, I would go for it:ThumbsUp:

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The blood test is called a RAST test, which is usually used when it is too danergous to test something on the skin, or to confirm an allergy (such as peanuts, milk). But, it can also measure the amount of allergen in the blood too and tell you HOW allergic you are too a substance, by measureing the amount of IgE in the blood (the amount of allergy you are producing).

In reality though, you know you are allergic to your kitty. So, the solution would be to see the allergist or doc help you get on some medications to help prevent the reaction in the short term, help break down the immune reaction in the long term and use the other things mentioned to help in the meantime suggested by the rest of the board. You can beat this can keep your kitty! I am certain you can find a combo of medications that will keep the reaction at bay, in addition to bathing your kitty and keeping your place REALLY clean and her blanets washed, etc.

The regular things an allergist would recommend, such as your bed in plastic, pillows in plastic, regular dusting and vaccuming, are going to help with the dander. You know its not the fur! Also, if you can give it anough time, like others said, you should develop an immunity to your own cat, maybe not others. Also, if I have read coreectly somewhere, kittens produce higher amounts, and more reactive dander proteins, which is why you may not have reacted to the older sphynx cat that came and stayed with you!

I too, have allergies, and my allergist actually has no idea I have a sphynx cat. I have been asking him for years if I can have a cat, and he keeps saying "no, it'll make your allergies worse!". One day I will tell him I have a cat...I've had Moses for 5 years now!

Hang in there!!!

Back