Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My sphnx chokes at times and struggles to breath

JoshA

Lairian
Ever since we got him (he is a year and a half now) randomly our sphynx has this weird choking, not being able to breathe episode. Almost looks as if hes hacking and choking and trying to catch a breath. I have brought it up to my vet and he really doesnt know what to do or say?

I have also brought it up to the breeder and she doesnt know either.
I have tried to get a video but its so random when he does it
It is just so hard to explain so thats why ive tried to get a video..

Can anyone else shed some light or have any of you dealt with this and what would you recommend?
Im just worried because he has done it for a while and I get very concerned and dont want anything to happen to him. I want to get this figured out once and for all so I can stop worrying about him when im away from the house.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@JoshA Hmmmm....a video would be ideal...but being so random it is obviously tough to capture. Could be as simple as allergies. Have noted any common environmental issues that might trigger this like exiting litter box, after eating etc? Have thought about getting a baseline heart scan?

Patti

JoshA

Lairian
@JoshA Hmmmm....a video would be ideal...but being so random it is obviously tough to capture. Could be as simple as allergies. Have noted any common environmental issues that might trigger this like exiting litter box, after eating etc? Have thought about getting a baseline heart scan?

Patti
Hey thanks for the reply.
You said potentially a litter box, do you mean like not keeping it clean enough?

As far as a heart scan.What do you mean by that?
Thanks again

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Many litters are dusty and cause coughing...if dusty try a brand that promotes less dust. The Sphynx breed has unfortunately had issues with a heart issues called HCM creep into many lineages. Many breeders scan their breeding cats in hopes to eliminate these issues. This link might be help Sphynx Cats and HCM

Most recommended if possible to scan after they are 1 years of age. @JoshA

Yoda mom

Staff member
@JoshA , my boy had fits of revere sneezing -
If you can get s video and show your vet thst would be great

With Dobby scratching his neck area from your other post amd this post
I would get him a vet wellness check
*I actually had to ask the vet to listen to his heart and check inside his mouth for any dental issues
Dont be afraid to ask questions to your vet -

I paid $50 office vet visit and they never even took his temperature or looked in his mouth or listened to his heart in a breed prone to HCM , URI amd allergies

Now I ask Vet to please listen for heart murmur , and rule out any upper respiratory infections or allergies .

Heavily scented litter can cause scratching and sneezing
I switched to de elseys hypoallergenic in blue bag thst is perfume free and virtually dust free

We can't diagnosis but can share our experiences you can talk to your vet about -

How is Dobby today?

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It could be asthma. Sound similar to what my Dexter has experienced. He would cough and wheeze occasionally and I figured it was allergies. But as soon as started having difficulty breathing, I took him to the emergency room. They did x-rays and found out he has asthma.

I would definitely get an x-ray. And if possible, a heart scan for HCM. Has the vet ever mentioned a heart murmur?

singaporesphynx

Lairian
Hi there, does it sound like this? https://m.facebook.com/groups/816186925124866?view=permalink&id=1120585544685001

We had our boy thoroughly checked out (blood and poo tests, X rays) and after a course of antibiotics and anti inflammatories it didn't really make a difference. He still coughs a couple of times a week but the vet can't find anything wrong with him as such. It could just be due to the humid climate here.

However if it gets to the point where he's coughing chronically every day we have an asthma treatment plan (steroids then a prescription for an inhaler). But hopefully it won't come to that.

I hope your baby is ok, it's worth getting some tests done but ultimately it may just be one of those things.

By the way, we didn't end up trying lungworm medication as it's so rare and unlikely to be due to that. (As I mentioned at the end of the Facebook post).

JoshA

Lairian
Hi there, does it sound like this? https://m.facebook.com/groups/816186925124866?view=permalink&id=1120585544685001

We had our boy thoroughly checked out (blood and poo tests, X rays) and after a course of antibiotics and anti inflammatories it didn't really make a difference. He still coughs a couple of times a week but the vet can't find anything wrong with him as such. It could just be due to the humid climate here.

However if it gets to the point where he's coughing chronically every day we have an asthma treatment plan (steroids then a prescription for an inhaler). But hopefully it won't come to that.

I hope your baby is ok, it's worth getting some tests done but ultimately it may just be one of those things.

By the way, we didn't end up trying lungworm medication as it's so rare and unlikely to be due to that. (As I mentioned at the end of the Facebook post).

Wow thats very similar to what he does but his is more of an intense cough not so wheezy sounding. but very very similar. they said nothing was wrong??
What have you been doing for him now?

How often did you say it happens? a few times a week? and if so does it still happen?

thanks to you and everyone for all of your input

also I noticed a lot of people talk about an HCM scan, did you do that with your little guy? and what exactly is the HCM scan?

Last edited:

JoshA

Lairian
It could be asthma. Sound similar to what my Dexter has experienced. He would cough and wheeze occasionally and I figured it was allergies. But as soon as started having difficulty breathing, I took him to the emergency room. They did x-rays and found out he has asthma.

I would definitely get an x-ray. And if possible, a heart scan for HCM. Has the vet ever mentioned a heart murmur?

Obviously all vets are different but how much do you think it would cost to do a heart scan and xray?

JoshA

Lairian
Im going to get him bloodwork, xray by my local primary vet and then an echo cardiogram by a board certified doctor. Is there any other tests I should run on him?

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Obviously all vets are different but how much do you think it would cost to do a heart scan and x-ray?

I think my vet was on the high end for the xrays and the echo cardiograph. When all was said and done, it was between $900-1000. They knew they had me though - I had just gotten him and was really freaked by the heart murmur. If I had known then what I knew now, I would have looked elsewhere (hairless hearts does scans, you might want to look into it to see if they're scanning near you.)

Over the weekend when Dex had x-rays for his cough, it cost $180, but that was at the emergency room.

lapril

Lairian
Ezio has allergies and what I think is asthma. His litter "worlds best cat litter" creates the worst dust so I had to switch. It was triggering coughing fits. I think I'm just going to buy a second cat genie instead of continuing this madness.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@JoshA from your description, just like @Yoda mom mentioned, I too right away thought of the reverse sneezing. I had a furry cat years ago that did this and one of my dogs I have now does it often. They go into a panic when this happens and all their muscles tense up too.

JoshA

Lairian
Sorry for my extreme lack of response and posts. To update everyone dobby did have his heart ultrasound and he is fine. No HCM or anything, all is good with my little guy. He also got a chest xray and that was clear. He must be choking on dirt or something idk but i just know he is fine . but just wanted to update everyone and thanks for the kind wishes, support and prayers

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry for my extreme lack of response and posts. To update everyone dobby did have his heart ultrasound and he is fine. No HCM or anything, all is good with my little guy. He also got a chest xray and that was clear. He must be choking on dirt or something idk but i just know he is fine . but just wanted to update everyone and thanks for the kind wishes, support and prayers
Just saw this and was going to chime in that it may be acid reflux. Molly has reflux and when it comes up she does the same coughing thing trying to clear it away

Kristen G

Lairian
Ever since we got him (he is a year and a half now) randomly our sphynx has this weird choking, not being able to breathe episode. Almost looks as if hes hacking and choking and trying to catch a breath. I have brought it up to my vet and he really doesnt know what to do or say?

I have also brought it up to the breeder and she doesnt know either.
I have tried to get a video but its so random when he does it
It is just so hard to explain so thats why ive tried to get a video..

Can anyone else shed some light or have any of you dealt with this and what would you recommend?
Im just worried because he has done it for a while and I get very concerned and dont want anything to happen to him. I want to get this figured out once and for all so I can stop worrying about him when im away from the house.

Hi Josh, my Jax has been having random attacks that sound just like what you describe. was your cat hunching low to the ground and extending his neck while it looked like he was coughing and trying to catch a breath? i see you said that luckily everything turned out good with testing. did you ever find out anything further? i am going to book a vet appointment but theres always a long wait. Jax used to only do it after drinking water but ever since i elevated his bowl it stopped but now he did it this morning while playing and the other day while playing. He is only a year old so i think that is young for asthma. i dont know what it could be

Lizzardkitty

Lairian
Hi Josh, my Jax has been having random attacks that sound just like what you describe. was your cat hunching low to the ground and extending his neck while it looked like he was coughing and trying to catch a breath? i see you said that luckily everything turned out good with testing. did you ever find out anything further? i am going to book a vet appointment but theres always a long wait. Jax used to only do it after drinking water but ever since i elevated his bowl it stopped but now he did it this morning while playing and the other day while playing. He is only a year old so i think that is young for asthma. i dont know what it could be
Kristin! I've been trying to contact you. I'm having the same issue and it's breaking my heart. I don't want to to leave my Clark alone because I fear he's going to have an attack and struggle scared. Any luck/changes/answers?

Kristen G

Lairian
@Lizzardkitty hi, it has definitely improved and only happens rarely. I still think it may be linked to eating or drinking too fast. Have you spoken to your vet about it or do u notice it occurs after drinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back