Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Namirs first bath

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ok, not Sphynx but I still had to post. :)

I am prepairing the cats for the shows this weekend and gave Namir his first bath ever just now. I thought he was gonna protest madly but he just looked at me like "I trust you, do what you have to do." and kept absolutelly calm. Not a sound, no trying escape or nothing and I don't even have my tub yet, get it next week so used the shower without the shower head as it makes a noice.

So proud of him. :BigSmile:
Replacement String:

Attachments

• 201101072906.jpg
    201101072906.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 201101072907.jpg
    201101072907.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 201101072908.jpg
    201101072908.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What a good boy! I will make Nudie watch this video and hopefully she can learn a thing or 2:BigSmile:

x0jules0x

Lairian
ahh can Namir give Nira a pointer or two lol.. her first bath was yest. and it went so-so.. tried excaping but didnt totally hate her life lol

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The bath went great! Did you pack him with powder and blow dry him? I can give you some grooming tips if you need them, getting Namir ready for a show can't be much different than show grooming a MC.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks all :)

The bath went great! Did you pack him with powder and blow dry him? I can give you some grooming tips if you need them, getting Namir ready for a show can't be much different than show grooming a MC.

Didn't blowdry, just towel and then brushed him first wet and then when dry.
Maybe blowdrying is better? Just thought since he has only top fur it wouldn't make much of a difference. They don't really get fluffy with that kind of silk fur I think.

Tomorrow at the pet-expo show I am going to I will talk with many Somali show cat owners to hear what they do and then I will prepare him that way for the international show on sunday.
Any pointers are welcome though. :)

Edit:
Found this one.
http://www.showcatsonline.com/x-sco/somali_grooming.shtml
Damn, she put a LOT of time into grooming before a show. Seems I'll have a full night of work when we get home tomorrow to prepare for sunday. :D

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm sure the other Somali owners can give you some really good breed-specific pointers. But here's the basic bath routine I used the day before a show:

Do a thorough ear cleaning and the pedicure. Clean eyes.

Rub kitty down from back of ears to tip of tail with GoJo or Goop Hand Cleaner (they're waterless hand cleaners made for mechanics - make SURE you get the kind that doesn't have pumice). Rinse with warm water. You shouldn't need this step for a Somali though, unless their top coat is really greasy like a MC.

Rub kitty down from back of ears to tip of tail with Redken Hair Cleansing Cream. Rinse well. This removes normal cat grease.

Rub kitty down from back of ears to tip of tail with Ivory dishwashing detergent (the unconcentrated kind if you can find it). Rinse well. This gets rid of the degreaser.

Rub kitty down with a good color-specific shampoo. For Namir you'd probably want to use a whitening-brightening shampoo like Redkin Shades EQ Platinum Ice Violet or Jheri Redding Shiny Silver Conditioning Shampoo. Rinse well.

Shampoo entire kitty with F1R2 shampoo (the purple one would probably be best for Namir). This is a mild shampoo that's tearless and is safe to use on the face. Rinse well. This adds shine and condition to the coat.

Fill a pitcher with warm water and add 3 tablespoons of any good organic distilled white vinegar. Pour this slowly over the kitty, avoiding the face and ears. Rub in very lightly. Rinse well. (Have this pitcher ready before you start the bath).

Final rinse: Put a dime-sized amount of Joico Lite cream rinse in a large pitcher, fill with warm water and mix well. (this is another have-ready-before-the-bath-starts step). Slowly pour over the kitty (again avoiding the face) and lightly rub in. Rinse well.

And when you think you're done rinsing, rinse again. And again.

Wrap kitty in a warm towel and lightly pat dry. Don't rub. When you've gently squeezed out as much water as you can, very carefully comb him out using a wide-toothed Teflon coated comb.

Now he's ready to be dried. Use a regular handheld blowdryer on low setting. Use the wide-toothed comb to comb small areas while drying them. Don't stay in one spot too long, you don't want to burn him.

On areas that tend to get greasy (like studtail, tufts of fur behind the ears, etc - this differs on every cat) I would dry those areas until they're about halfways dry, then rub in a whole lot of color-appropriate powder (I used Brown Sugar Baby Powder on my tabby MCs but that wouldn't work for Namir - I'm sure the Somali folks can give advice). After rubbing in the powder gently comb while blowdrying until the area is ALMOST completely dry.

So you've gotten to the point where he's just damp. Now switch to a Teflon-coated comb with narrower teeth and continue combing/drying until he's dried. When it's done be sure to praise him and give him some treats, then go have a beer. You've earned it.

This process took 3-4 hours on an adult MC but a kitten can be done in about 2.5 hours. I also learned that rinsing is integral to the whole process - if I didn't rinse enough I'd have to start over. And never cheap out when it comes to buying combs - you might be yelling for Crisco when you see the prices on some of them but trust me, they're worth every penny.

Every breed is groomed differently, and every cat is different from the others in its breed. The grooming process is trial-and-error until you find the perfect routine for that kitty. What I've given you is a good basic outline for long haired kitties; and at least now you'll have an idea of what the other Somali folks are talking about when you start picking their brains. :LOL: Good luck to you and Namir and Darwin!

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:Surprise:

Here I was hoping for:
Water-schampoo-water-dry-brush go. ;)

Gonna shave Namir now and try to pass him as a Don-Sphynx or something.

Ok, well...
For sunday that complete program is out of the question but next time I will be fully prepared. This time is basically to learn the routine and draging as much info out of others about exactly this kind of stuff.

I hope judges are kind and don't laugh at poor Namir. I think I can get him in quite good shape but not like that ofc. Not this time at least,
Glad I have good material to work with. He is well bred and conforms. And there is a certain grace over Namir that will be impossible even for me to bury completelly I think, or hope at least.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Wow, Marlene. I had no idea that grooming a Maine Coon for show was that intense. I don't even put that much effort into my own hair. Most days I'm a wash and air dry girl.

Gizzymom

Banned
:Surprise:

Here I was hoping for:
Water-schampoo-water-dry-brush go. ;)

Gonna shave Namir now and try to pass him as a Don-Sphynx or something.

Ok, well...
For sunday that complete program is out of the question but next time I will be fully prepared. This time is basically to learn the routine and draging as much info out of others about exactly this kind of stuff.

I hope judges are kind and don't laugh at poor Namir. I think I can get him in quite good shape but not like that ofc. Not this time at least,
Glad I have good material to work with. He is well bred and conforms. And there is a certain grace over Namir that will be impossible even for me to bury completelly I think, or hope at least.

Awwwww... I can't imagine anyone laughing at that handsome boy!!! Don't worry.. you guys are going to do great!! :ThumbsUp:

Back