Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New and Cat-less :'(

Sparkles83221

Lairian
New here! We've been debating/wanting to add a cat for months now. We keep going to Petsmart just to look at what they have.
We got very close to adopting on but my daughter had the thought that we should get a Sphynx instead because dad has allergies(he does to everything...honestly, he is allergic to life..and that pill usually fixes it).
I've looked at Sphynx before but never had one. We talked about it and thought 'yea they seem like a good mix for our family'...but just never did it.
Now I'm getting closer to actually wanting to get our first Sphynx!
We do have a dog(he was raised around my first 2 cats and he's been around foster cats so he's not an issue) as well as 3 small children. We also have rats but I have a feeling they'll be passing on before the Sphynx gets in the door.
My daughter wants a cat to cuddle with and be best friends with however I'm not looking forward to marking. I only ever had 1 male cat do it but I couldn't get the smell out and I'd rather not go down that road again.

So there you have it. Family with a senior dog looking to get their first cat in years and years. :) Hope to get to know you all better and hopefully we'll be among the Sphynx owners in less than a year or two.

janeypoos84

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Welcome.... definitely the place to be all the people on are here are amazing and so knowledgeable!! I'm allergic to cats and am still allergic to my Sphynx just to put that out there though that being said I seem to tolerate my own cats after a few months of getting them haha...also regarding marking alot of the Sphynx breeders (at least in the UK) neuter before kitten/cat leaves and I've not experienced any problems with that especially in earlier neutering. Sphynx are an amazing breed x

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Sparkles83221

Lairian
Welcome.... definitely the place to be all the people on are here are amazing and so knowledgeable!! I'm allergic to cats and am still allergic to my Sphynx just to put that out there though that being said I seem to tolerate my own cats after a few months of getting them haha...also regarding marking alot of the Sphynx breeders (at least in the UK) neuter before kitten/cat leaves and I've not experienced any problems with that especially in earlier neutering. Sphynx are an amazing breed x

My old cats were an Exotic Shorthair and a supposed Ragdoll mix...and even that didn't set him off...but we are cat watching a Maine Coon and too much time around her and he starts getting pretty bad..lol So I'm hoping with a Sphynx it may be okay? Maybe?
Thanks for the tip about the neutering. That gives me more hope..I only ever had a Domestic Shorthair mark but it was bad...lol!

janeypoos84

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Maine coons send me batty, my chest, my eyes and non stop sneezing :( they are so beautiful. I've orientals and a Sphynx they all sent my allergies crazy at first but I just take antihistimes and it does eventually calm down haha. I wouldn't worry too much about that if he's happy to take pills to stop it :)

Sparkles83221

Lairian
Maine coons send me batty, my chest, my eyes and non stop sneezing :( they are so beautiful. I've orientals and a Sphynx they all sent my allergies crazy at first but I just take antihistimes and it does eventually calm down haha. I wouldn't worry too much about that if he's happy to take pills to stop it :)

Thank you!
I'm honestly excited. I would love to have a cat in the house again. It's been...About 10 years. :(

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sparkles83221 , welcome to the lair family !
You found a perfect place to research the breed and jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch

Here are a few helpful links

https://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/are-sphynx-cats-hypoallergenic.15521/

https://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/what-to-expect-from-a-responsible-sphynx-breeder.38599/

https://sphynxlair.com/community/forums/sphynx-cat-help-center.53/

I have 3 adopted males and an adopted female
All neutered/ spayed and no spray issues
(FYI female kitties can spray too - how do I know this - a stray female outside keeps marking my jeep tires!argh)

A good enzyme cleaner recommend by a breeder friend is "Anti icky poo" unscented purple label
I get online and actually use it to add to laundering dog beds

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome. You have been given some great links to check out in the community. I can only tell you, your life is changed forever when a Sphynx comes into it. Do your research and enjoy your journey.

Sparkles83221

Lairian
Welcome. You have been given some great links to check out in the community. I can only tell you, your life is changed forever when a Sphynx comes into it. Do your research and enjoy your journey.

I have not read about them in years..but I will start my researching again. It seems like a really great cat especially with kids. I can't wait. :)

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome! These babies steal your hearts quickly I hope you find your baby soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Sparkles83221 welcome to sphymxlair. I must say your daughter has a really good sense for what your family needs in life:). A sphynx will be the best buddy you can have. Good luck in your search

On and most breeders put in their contract that you should neuter the sphynx. Here in Europe most breeders neuter male sphynx before letting them go to their forever homes.

Doodlebug

Lairian
Hi and welcome! My family also decided to get another kitty after not having one for a few years. I also have a bad allergy to cats and when we started deciding on what kind to get, we thought that a sphynx would be the best choice. Within a few hours of having Pucker, my allergies were a complete mess. I had a choice to make - find Pucker a new home or deal with the allergies. I'm happy to say that I'm a happily and heavily medicated sphynx owner and it's completely worth it!! :ROFLMAO::p

It's easy to get attached! They are a personable breed, so playful and love to snuggle. If you decide to move forward with getting a sphynx, you won't be sorry! Just keep a bunch of boxes of antihistamine on hand. :)

Sparkles83221

Lairian
Thanks for the honesty about the allergies. The kids are lucky and more like me..Technically allergic to a certain coat type but fine with every other cat. :p Their dad is allergic to almost everything under the sun and luckily he's fine with medicating..lol
I'm going to start looking into the negatives about the breed now. :)

Back