Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New breed of cat?

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
"A new breed of cat that looks like a werewolf and behaves like a dog has been discovered....
It’s called the ‘Lykoi’. Due to a genetic mutation in a domestic shorthair cat, the Lykoi has no hair around its eyes, nose, ears and muzzle, giving it a werewolfish appearance." I wonder if this is a similar genetic mutation that caused the Sphynx.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392733365.288040.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392733377.448103.jpg

http://didyouknowblog.com/

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I saw one at the breeders. They are cute, the one I saw was 14 wks. The breeder told me one was found in I think California and they thought it was sick. They had it fixed. They were hoping to find one to help their genetic pool. Supposedly a woman I think in N.C. Had found one but they couldn't work anything out.

Last edited:

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They have been working on them for a couple of years that I know of. I just wonder about the health of them.

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I saw this pop up about a year ago and thought they were mighty cool. They are nicknamed the werewolf cat. I corresponded with a girl on Instagram about her little guy and she did say that he sheds a lot. When she pets him , his little hairs tend she shed right off. It was recently I asked, so I didn't follow up try with whether or not it's wirey fur if real cat like fur. I wouldn't mind one if his hair stayed in place! No shedding!

Jen

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
From what I read on several different websites they don't have an undercoat just the top coat...is like the silky top coat on a regular cat... And they're pretty healthy actually as far as I've read. there are no health issues as of now...

Last edited:

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I bet it would shed a lot by the looks of the one I saw. It's hair was not as compact as a regular cat. Looked more like a terriers hair.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I looked them up, and they were doing an outcrossing program to try and get more genetic diversity. There are preferred colours too, they are only permitted to be out crossed with black cats I believe?

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If I got one I would name it Rougarou which is the Cajun French word for werewolf. In France its pronounced Loup-Garou.

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I read that they go completely bald from time to time and then regrow the hair. Something about their follicles not behaving like normal follicles. So I would think the crazy shedding is indeed a reality :p

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
"A new breed of cat that looks like a werewolf and behaves like a dog has been discovered....
It’s called the ‘Lykoi’. Due to a genetic mutation in a domestic shorthair cat, the Lykoi has no hair around its eyes, nose, ears and muzzle, giving it a werewolfish appearance." I wonder if this is a similar genetic mutation that caused the Sphynx.

View attachment 21275 View attachment 21276

I saw this on my phone the other day. I thought they looked like a wolf & fruit bat mixed together.

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

View attachment 21275 View attachment 21276
Oh not for me this one, its a bit scary...think if there was a no-likey button i would of pressed that, sorry lol xxx

Back