Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New kitty

Dartanion

Lairian
I brought home my kitty today (4hrs ago) and he's been sleeping ever since... No exploring, no nothing... Just sleep. Is this common? 12 weeks old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_0925.JPG
    IMG_0925.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 33

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Dartanion , Happy Gotcha Day! What is your adorables name?
Looking forward to your journey with us :)

Each kitty is different .. He is a youngster and may be tired from his trip ..
Do you have a wellness vet appointment scheduled?
Often in the contract there is a Clause for a vet check within a few days

He is Sooo cute!
I have adult adoptees that slept a lot when I brought them home -
One went very slow to explore and now he is a go go go wild man :)

Sure others will chime in with experiences with baby kitties :)
Head smooches sent !

Sphynx Asylum Dad

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sometimes if you have held the baby before, or provided blankets/ clothing for them to get used to before gotcha day- they will sleep a lot the first few days. The move is a huge ordeal for them, so it's not uncommon. Baby should get up and explore soon though.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats on Gotcha Day!!!! Above advice is from both is dead on. Each one is different. Our girls we had in a pouch on the 4 1/2 drive and they slept the entire time...out like a light. When we got home they were active, but crashed the first night sleeping completely through the night which shocked us. Get to your wellness check up and look out when your baby decides to play, you will be wishing he was cuddling lol.

Patti

Dartanion

Lairian
Thank you. He woke up shortly after the post (toddler came home) and is exploring. Went in the litter box (1&2) and is now eating dinner. All is well! Yes, he has an appointment on Wednesday (originally supposed to get him on Wednesday) but I'm going to see if I can get him in sooner.

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Both of my babies were super sleepy from trips and didn't want to get up once I got them out of the carrier.. only perked up when they noticed they weren't the only cat :p I guess it's very tiring/stressful for them

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Dartanion Super to hear he is already using the litter box. We some hold it for 24 hours. Great idea to get him to the as soon as you can and don't forget to bring a poop sample. Have a wonderful night.

Patti

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Dartanion congratulations! What a handsome boy he is. Glad to hear he's exploring the house and using his litterbox. Kittens do sleep a lot, my boys slept for hours when they arrived. With me jumping next to them full of excitment and ready to play:). And when I was ready to sleep they were ready to play:).

Natasja

Dartanion

Lairian
@Dartantion How was your first night with the new baby?

I didn't know what to do with him. I was downstairs on the couch with him and decided to go up to bed. My husband is on board with him, but not the co sleeping(he was already in bed). So I put kitty (no name yet) next to me and 30 min later he went and sat on my husbands neck- but he didn't wake. I took several pics to show him today lol. I feared my husband would roll over on him so I took him down again, I laid on the couch and kitty jumped up. Didn't have time to put wet food out yet but he had the dry I left out for him and drank water.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Awww sounds like a good start lol. When we first brought home the girls 6 months apart, I made a sleeping spot between hubby/my pillows so I could sleep with a hand on them knowing every move lol. I know it is stressful getting into a groove. You should have an awesome weekend ahead of you. Looking forward to the pics! @Dartanion you might have to join in on the selfie Saturday thread. I'll start one in a few. Any part of you in the pic makes it a selfie lol.

Patti

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Dartanion , awhhh ... Can't wait for your update when he sees his neck warmer pics :)

Some of us have a sphynx spot set up in our bedrooms -
I use a 50x60 " soft blanket to my side of the bed and train with a bedtime treat to "bed"
They actually run to the blankie to get covered up for bedtime

@Xandria has a nice set up on a night stand with a sunbeam heat pad she may be able to repost the pic for you

Looking forward to updates and pics!

Dartanion

Lairian
My biggest issue is food...wet food. I thought the weren't supposed to have chicken. I know grain free but I can't find kitten grain free without chicken. Any suggestions?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Dartanion aw so cute your little boy went to sleep on his daddy:). And you're a great mommy to sleep on the couch with him. If he isn't allowed in the bedroom it will take a few nights being awake in your bed while the little boy meoowing downstairs. But after s few nights he knows that's his place. I know cause I can't allow my crew in my bedroom.

Some sphynxss are allergic to chicken but not all of them. So if you can only find wet food with chicken you could give it a try!

Natasja

Back