Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New Sphynx Kitten is being stalked and attacked by our 10month old sphynx

G3mma1505

Lairian
Hi Everyone,
We need a little help.
We’ve 4 days ago welcomed home our new 9week old baby! She’s gorgeous!
We already have a 10month old boy sphynx who has been neutered, his name is Ed.
Since our little girl has joined us, Ed started really well and was curious. He’s since started stalking her, pinning her down, licking her passionately and biting her. He bites her neck quite hard and we’ve had to separate him from her several times, as he pins her down, steps on her and is very heavy handed.
We’ve bought pheromones, fed them through the other side of the door, swapped scents etc. Sometimes she purrs when he’s on her but a lot of the time she screams and runs away. Sometimes we think he’s just tougher than her and they are playing as she bites and smacks him back but then when she’s sleeping or relaxing he stalks her like prey and bombards her and it seems like it’s not playing. Has anyone got any experience? Please help!!
It’s horrible to keep them locked up separated but we can’t see them together with him getting heavier with her each day.
The videos attached were them at the beginning and this is how he started with her but it’s got very intense now. It’s the first time we’ve ever introduced a kitten to the home so we are new to this and a little green. All advice is most certainly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 8CEF17C0-4A5D-4FB8-99FF-C543CAACE8AA.MOV
    10.3 MB
  • 526D850E-AEB6-46EB-AECB-C572EF7A5213.MOV
    2.7 MB

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Your newest baby is still very young. Most don’t recommend this breed to go to their new home until 12-14 weeks old, so your baby is probably not ready to handle this new situation physically or developmentally. Personally, I would separate for a few weeks and help them gain confidence and bond with you which is important for them to know you are their safe zone. Having an older boy dominate such a tiny baby could be detrimental and stress your baby over the next few weeks. Up until around 12 weeks the mother cat is helping their kittens to socialize, so it is now up to you to take that role, not your boy to dominate if that makes sense. How you help,them develop now will determine how they will interact with each other when your baby can fight off and defend any unwanted interactions.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@G3mma1505 first happy Gotcha !
Sorry I couldn’t open the video links
Did you upload to YouTube first ? May just be my iPad

I read your post amd Ed sounded just like my 10 mos old neutered Toby ! He was such a brat
I had to give him 10 minute outs in a spare bathroom wothwith his bed and litter box
I actually had to scruff him to pick him and he would hiss and huff ! Not sure if Ed is quite as fresh as my boy was .... key word .... WAS
I kept up all the things you are doing but I put his but on a leash and harness for supervised interaction
And armed my self with teo Dabird pole toys played on neutral turf living room -

I would swap free roaming amd let him sleep alone the new kittys”safe room set up “
I Added at least one extra litter box too
I made a bench litter box hack ( I googled and found some, great ideas
This way a litter box was always available im the free roaming area-

I got a baby gate amd zip tied it In the full open position
Held it in place at the kitty room door for sniffs and peeks watching my Best didn’t try to climb up amd over -
He was a handful in the beginning
I did find the time outs , harmessimg him on a leash and dual play simultaneously helped -
Lol I used to br stern and say “Toby have Lovoooove!
Now it’s his nickname Toby love!

It’s a whole new world for both

I am always envious when kitties hit it off right away but for me and my Toby well he was a brat .
I kept up what you are doing for about a month + Now he is the sweetest cuddly bug
He grooms them like a momma cat now

I added a smart cat climber and a tall small based cat tree (kitty mansions redwood without using the vines it comes with ) she may still be too tiny for that stage yet but something to think about when she is older

I always say my job is to keep them safe

She is a youngster and developing at an important development age
I agree with catzzmeow sound advice

Hang in there - we are here for you
Others will surely chime in too !

positive vibes !
When I get newbies I set up a kitty room to bond one on one time
It’s a great big world for your little one

Last edited:

Sheldon13

Staff member
I can’t seem to be able to see the videos.

It sound to me though like your boy needs some extra discipline and redirecting. He needs to know that you do not accept the behavior.

I’m guessing part of why he’s doing it may also be because he’s still a kitten too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoda mom

Staff member
@G3mma1505
Here is a link to upload videos

Hesd smooches sent
Hope you can share pics of your babies when you get a chance
Jump in enjoy this fun friendly bunch

Look forward to your journey with us with lots of pics and tales

Keep us updated often

G3mma1505

Lairian
Oh, Thank you Yoda Mum!
I’ve read so many blogs, forums etc but they’re all so structured and some hardly seem relatable or realistic.
Obviously we’ve been panicking. He is very heavy with her and whilst sometimes it’s playing, she’s always the victim so I don’t think it’s all play. Ed has a harness so we’ll give that a go tomorrow and be ready for Eds time out.
I really appreciate your reply. I’ll sleep better tonight!
Thank you!! X

Hi Sheldon13!
I agree he needs some more discipline I’m certain but being a kitten too doesn’t help as much. I panic as a lot of his toys have been chase toys... feathers, dangly toys on sticks and now she’s the new dangly!
Out of curiosity... what do you find the best means of discipline work for your sphynx?
Thank you so very much!!
Gemma x

Ps. Here’s a snap of the guys for the only snuggly moment to date so far.... after this picture he climbed on top of her for a kitten lickathon which he wanted to become lunch by the looks of it! I’ll retry with the videos in the morning from my Mac! I’ll be back. Thanks again!!

Attachments

• 24604CA3-91C9-4D7F-AB7E-A4DBABEDE68F.jpeg
    24604CA3-91C9-4D7F-AB7E-A4DBABEDE68F.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 57

Yoda mom

Staff member
@G3mma1505 Oh my boy was a 10 month old hellion ! He was aweful!
I just wanted to cry but I kmow thst wouldn’t help ! So I took a deep breathe amd kept my job
To keep them safe !

How long ago was Ed neutered ?
I was told it takes some time for hormones to settle
My boy was neutered at 10 months old amd was a brat for s little time afterwards

Hugs n positive vibes
Following closely for updates
You want to keep her feeling safe in her new big world

She is younger than most Gotchas but will lots of extra bonding you will make her comfortable Amd well rounded

Keep her safe and remember to also give Ed separate love cuddle time too
He is just a baby too
I had to rotate for quite sometime but well worth it

Ps - you babies are adorable ,
Keep looking at “that moment pic” and know you got this!

I set boundaries with him with a stern ah and time outs

***I also highly recommend rewarding the positives ! If even for s moment he is good
Praise big time amd give a high value fave treat you only use for his supervised interactions

I fimd myself training my crew like I would a dog with lots of positive praise amd high value treats

**Under no circumstances leave him alone with her if you can’t give 110% supervision training
Even to take a pee or amswer the phone , get the mail
I didn’t even watch tv or use computer
I knew I had to put in the time to keep all paws safe

You want forward progress amd things can get shi**y in an instance
Your babies will be there
It just takes lots of love patience and time
There is no magic time frame

Stay positive ! We are here for you ! So glad you joined fun friendly bunch

Last edited:

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
What he's doing is showing her who is boss. This is normal for cats that have a dominant personality. I had a similar issue when I introduced a second adult; the one with the dominant personality would try to get the other one to submit. I always separated them since I didn't want a bully and a victim. Eventually that stopped and they are now "equals" .....in fact if the one who used to try to dominate hisses, the one that used to be the victim will hiss right back.

I would definitely separate your 2 because the kitten is much smaller and unable to defend herself. Also at 9 weeks she is a little sponge and you want her to have good experiences and grow up confident (which is hard to do when you're being bullied). Only have them together when you are right there to jump in.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I agree only have them together when they are directly with you.

For discipline, start out with removing him from her as soon as you start to see things go south. Find a “no no” word to use when you do it so you can eventually just say the word and he’ll know to stop. Anyway, remove him and then put him in a time out for 5-10 minutes, then try again. Repeat.

G3mma1505

Lairian
I agree only have them together when they are directly with you.

For discipline, start out with removing him from her as soon as you start to see things go south. Find a “no no” word to use when you do it so you can eventually just say the word and he’ll know to stop. Anyway, remove him and then put him in a time out for 5-10 minutes, then try again. Repeat.

Thank you!!
He’s currently on a time out as I type...
*rolling eyes*
Thank you for your help! I will be back with updates.
Honestly though everyone. Thank you!!

oolahappi

Lairian
Looks like they're doing fine! As long as there is no staring down, hissing, screaming and doing business outside of the litterbox, I wouldn't be too concerned. Once she's old enough, she'll get him back!

Back