Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Newbie here!

JacksMom

Banned
Hello there! I am Jack's mom (also known as Kyleen). I have always been partial to cats and about 2.5 years ago, I was sent an email from a friend of a picture of a Sphynx her sister-in-law just got. I thought she was the funniest and cutest thing I ever saw! Then, I went to Scottsdale, Arizona and stayed with friends who have a flamepoint Siamese with super short hair that, at first glance, I thought he was hairless. He had the sweetest disposition and from then I knew that I wanted to look into the hairless breed. I was not in an emotional position to get a pet after losing my last cats in a divorce (it was a mutual decision, but still, it tore me up!). So, I found myself ready for a new little guy (I am partial to boy cats), and started actually researching the Sphynx breed. I was elated at what I read,.my male tabby cat was unusually friendly and loving, and to learn that in this breed that is the norm,wow! Plus, I was so accustomed to hair balls, using lint rollers EVERY morning before work (even having to keep them AT work, too!), and the thought of not having hair all over. I was just totally sold. Now, where to find one. I live in El Paso, Texas and there are NO breeders in the area, so I was looking at Dallas (which I'd have to fly), or Phoenix, AZ (a 6-hour drive) and then stumbled upon a breeder in Deming, NM 1 hr. 45 min. away! I emailed and asked lots of questions, and within a week drove out there and picked up my 14.5 week old boy, who is now Jack!

I was endeared to Jack immediately! He is such a sweet and funny boy and all of my family absolutely adores him! He has settled into his new home nicely and is truly the king of the house! I just discovered this website by accident and am thrilled to become a member! I have had a hard time finding clothes for him that fit him (the necks on the dog clothes are many times too large), but have found him stuff on eBay, which he wears with no problems. He shivered for a couple days until my mom took him out to get him some t-shirts! I keep my house kind of cool, so he had to both acclimate and get some shirts. Now he is just fine! Plus, he loves to sleep in his fuzzy blanket during the day when I am at work and in bed with me, of course, under the covers! I am amazed at how quickly I have bonded to my little naked man!

Last edited by a moderator:

susi794

Staff member
Welcome to the Lair Kyleen and Jack! Great introduction! Can't wait to see pictures of you and your little guy. I am so glad you've joined our little on-line family--this is truly a special site. And most of us are addicted to it--LOL. The site is moderated really well, is fair to everyone, has great videos and a search feature to get all kinds of information that will help you tremendously. Our members are knowledgeable and generous in word and deed--we love our cats and care deeply for each other as well. And best of all, nobody thinks you're silly when you make a total goon of yourself over your cat baby--we all "get it"! And have probably done something even goofier. We share fun stories, ask for advice, and sometimes we cry together--but the Lair is a wonderful place to be! Welcome. I am looking forward to getting to know you and your little naked man better,
Susi and the Gang

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Howdy there Jack's Mom. You are going to LOVE it here. The perfect sweater solution for little Spynxies is a sweatshirt sleeve. You cut it off up towards the shoulder. Then cut two holes where the front legs go. WaLa a stylish sweater for Jack. Or you could do what Gato Loca does and use a tube sock. Can't wait to see pics of Jack.:BigSmile:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello JacksMom and welcome to Sphynxlair! Glad you and Jack found us! Please enjoy the site!:ThumbsUp:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome Jacksmom we are glad you joined us:ThumbsUp:
For great clothes check out the sphynxlair mall at the bottom of the home page, we have some great members that make hand made clothes that are a perfect fit.

ktate88

Banned
Welcome! I am new here, too. I love all the information and seeing all the cute naked babies.

Jack is very cute :)

I need to get Niles more clothes.

Niles hates having his tshirt and harness put over his head. I wonder if he could get out of clothes that have snaps or buttons? Any experience?

Last edited by a moderator:

JacksMom

Banned
Niles hates having his tshirt and harness put over his head. I wonder if he could get out of clothes that have snaps or buttons? Any experience?

Thank you! Yes, this place is awesome!

As far as clothes...I found that the only clothes that Jack gets out of while he's sleeping at night under the covers are those that don't fit him right. If the neck is not too big, nor the arms, then they don't come off him at all. I would think that if you have snaps, they would be fine, but I honestly haven't any experience with snaps or zippers. All of Jacks t-shirts and sweaters are pullover. He's very easy going and although getting dressed may not be his favorite thing, he doesn't mind my putting his shirts on him. He never tries to take them off intentionally either; he doesn't seem to even know they are on him!

I did buy some $2 newborn onesies at Walmart and cut off the bottoms and my mom sewed the bottom and strung through a thin elastic to gather the bottom of the shirt, and they work great! However, the newborn size (I couldn't find premie) is just a little too big and although it stays on him all day at night, he partially comes out of it. So probably in another 4-6 weeks they'll fit him perfect....and maybe at full-size he'll be in 0-3 mos I suspect. Anyway, the pet clothes are cute but at n$10 a t-shirt at Pets Mart...well, a $2 baby onesie works just fine! I did get him some sweaters on eBay though and he doesn't mind them at all either. Just always pay attention to the neck size when viewing online b/c I have found that to be the trick for Jack!

Hope that helps....

Back