Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Newbie Sphynx Question/concern! ! !

dustinronald

Lairian
Hello everyone,

my gf and i purchased a sphynx and he is now 6 months old, his name is Hefner. I have always been a cat lover and owner growing up but they were all out door cats. This one is purely indoor but i have taken him on a few car rides already and he absolutely loves them, i have also taken him to friends houses twice and he loves that too. i will plan on taking him for walks through trails in the forest when the weather is much warmer in canada..

neways... this is my question/concern

will hefner develop anxiety or become sad if i leave to go to work and no one is home with him or he is not "invited" to come out... like if i take him out sometimes when i leave the house but then other times he is not invited (b/c im going to work or whatever)... i just dont know if taking him away from the house on trips is a good idea....

what are your experiences?

thank you so much in advance

Sphynx's are amazing, and i never though i'd love a cat as much as i do hefner

ckutkuhn7

Banned
awww poor guy! I dont have any advice but hopefully someone here will be able to help out. I hope you find a satisfying fix for your kitty!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi and welcome! Sounds like you all have lots of fun, I would not worry about him getting sad when you are at work ect. as he will rest and be happy to great you when you get home! I would be careful in walking in the woods because of stray cats and such that could be carrying disease that you would not want your darling to catch, you can enjoy your walks and things just be aware of your surroundings and don't let him eat anything that you did not give him also I would suggest a bath after you get home.

Oh and we all love pictures:Wink:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree the woods are not safe for him.
There are so many things he can catch.
Also sphynx sun burn very easy.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Definitely don't walk him in the woods. He can pick up ticks and they carry all kinds of nasty diseases.

He will be okay being left alone while you go to work, he will sleep a lot and play with his toys while he waits.

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Lemmy does ok by himself when we are away...he just takes long, relaxing naps in my bed under all the covers!! When he hears us come home, he bolts for the door like there is no tomorrow! LOL I would love to see pictures of Hefner!

susi794

Staff member
Does your Hefner wear silk pj's? :Cool: If you are truly concerned, you could provide your little playboy a "bunny" to play with:Wink:....you can never have too many sphyxies!:Laugh::BigSmile::LOL:
Welcome to the Lair. We're so glad you found us!
Hugs,
Susi and the gang

for_serious

Lairian
This is a great question. I take mine to my boyfriends house and back and am with him for a large portion of the day. So I worried about this as well. When I just got my kitten I would have the worst anxiety if I went to the library to study for a couple of hours. Do you have any other pets or family? This helps a lot to rest your mind. If not, he should be fine anyway. When no one is home, my kitten just plays or finds somewhere warm to sleep. As much as they love us, cats are still very independent creatures by nature.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi and Welcome :BigSmile:

I leave Mug-Y when I go to work in the mornings and when I come back at 5 the little turd hasn't moved from under the blankets!! I'm sure he'll be fine, just make sure to make lots of fuss and play games with him when you come home.

X

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
This reminded me of the first time we left Leo alone:Sweat: I put him in the bedroom and closed the door just so I knew he was safe in the smaller area with the house being new to him and when I got home I ran up excited to see him and he was no place to be found:Cry: I was going crazy and about to cry I called hubby at work and he said oh my god there i a small hole in the closet:Hysterical: I started ripping everything out of the closet and calling his name when I heard a noise coming from the bed? The little stinker was curled up inside a pillow case the entire time:BigSmile:

dustinronald

Lairian
if i've done this right there should be pictures of Hef!

thanks everyone for there replies!

i really appreciate it

Attachments

• happyhef.jpg
    happyhef.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 14
  • hefnerlooking.jpg
    hefnerlooking.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 15

ckutkuhn7

Banned
This reminded me of the first time we left Leo alone:Sweat: I put him in the bedroom and closed the door just so I knew he was safe in the smaller area with the house being new to him and when I got home I ran up excited to see him and he was no place to be found:Cry: I was going crazy and about to cry I called hubby at work and he said oh my god there i a small hole in the closet:Hysterical: I started ripping everything out of the closet and calling his name when I heard a noise coming from the bed? The little stinker was curled up inside a pillow case the entire time:BigSmile:

:LOL::Worn-out: Silly kitties!

Back