Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Normal Sphynx Poo???!!!

Rhubarb

Lairian
Our first girl (buffy) had loose stoll for the first couple of months and then we switched her food to Iams and she got better. They still seem loose sometimes, especially compared to her sister (Spike). Spike eats everything, including dog food and chinchilla food she finds, and always has perfect poo. I think there are A LOT of individual differences and you should stick with the vet you like.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm curious about this "normal" you've been told about...because EVERY culture and sensitivity should have a panel that comes back with a bacteria read out and a sensitivity panel...because EVERY cat has bacteria in their feces. It's only after giving a medication that should put these bacterias in check that you may ever notice a difference. Even if they were normal bacterias, and simply not in the right amounts for your companion. I remind you, every bacteria that was overgrown in Baldwin's stool was "normal" as well, it should have been there---it just shouldn't have been so prevalent.

I'd recommend using a different lab, if that's an option for you.
You should never get a parasitologist's/bacteriologist's reading of "normal" with no included values when you're asking "what type of bacteria(s) are in this stool?".

Personally, I haven't seen any C&S come back yet for a feline that didn't have intestinal bacterial overgrowths that didn't respond to using amoxicillin and baytril together. You might mention this to your vet, it may be a cheaper trial than running another C&S.

In addition, what type of food are you feeding right now? Some foods are notorious for being tainted with bacteria, this might explain why Mo is having continued problems after pursuing treatment.

As far as raw, you might be stuck making your own at home. http://rawfed.com/myths/ is a wonderful website to consult. I'd recommend rabbit, but you can use practically any protein. I most especially recommend rabbit because it's been proven in over 90% of cases to improve stools on IBD cats.

Thanks thats some good advice, I will speak to my vet and will check out that website. :ThumbsUp:

PitRottMommy

Banned
im not really sure, i know we had to put her poop in a plastic container and they tested it like that.

That would most likely have been a fecal exam. Culture and Sensitivity panels do best when run directly from the cat (literally putting the swab into their bum and sending it to the lab pronto). C&S also aren't cheap, most spend at least $75 on them and they take about 5-7 days before results are ready.

onekat

Lairian
When we first got our kitties, they had splat poo too :) Our vet said to try pumpkin and they've been on it ever since...totally helps. Once in a blue moon there's a splat but it's totally rare for them. I give them organic 100% pure pumpkin (not the pumpkin pie mix!), just a spoon right on top of each feeding.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When we first got our kitties, they had splat poo too :) Our vet said to try pumpkin and they've been on it ever since...totally helps. Once in a blue moon there's a splat but it's totally rare for them. I give them organic 100% pure pumpkin (not the pumpkin pie mix!), just a spoon right on top of each feeding.

Well I will definatley order some, what is a good brand of tinned pumpkin? You can't get it in the supermarkets here so I would have to internet shop.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well I will definatley order some, what is a good brand of tinned pumpkin? You can't get it in the supermarkets here so I would have to internet shop.

I think anything organic should be good. I like the Farmer's Market Foods brand Organic Canned Pumpkin, but I'm not sure if you can find in the UK (it's available at amazon.com).

PitRottMommy

Banned

Libby's is available here in the US and that's the brand we commonly use because they have large cans of it (16oz). Unfortunately, Libby's has also had a shortage this year. I, personally, would like to attribute this to the fact that we use so much of it in my household :LOL:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Libby's is available here in the US and that's the brand we commonly use because they have large cans of it (16oz). Unfortunately, Libby's has also had a shortage this year. I, personally, would like to attribute this to the fact that we use so much of it in my household :LOL:

:LOL:
I think I have seen Libbys on the internet when I've looked before, is it the one that says 100% pumpkin on the front? I will have a look and order some, then when it arrives if I'm not sure I will post a picture of it to check!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There is a brand of cat food in the UK called applaws cat food (not sure if it's available in the US?) The brand pride themselves on all natural cat food with no additives. They have just bought out a new flavour of their wet cat foot and it's Chicken&Pumpkin - Its ingredients are 50% Chicken, 24% Pumpkin, 1% Rice, 25% Cooking water. That is everything in the tin. I suppose what I'm asking is do you think its worth trying for Mo because of the pumpkin it contains? Thanks

PitRottMommy

Banned
There is a brand of cat food in the UK called applaws cat food (not sure if it's available in the US?) The brand pride themselves on all natural cat food with no additives. They have just bought out a new flavour of their wet cat foot and it's Chicken&Pumpkin - Its ingredients are 50% Chicken, 24% Pumpkin, 1% Rice, 25% Cooking water. That is everything in the tin. I suppose what I'm asking is do you think its worth trying for Mo because of the pumpkin it contains? Thanks

I don't like the fact that it has rice in it, but it's a very small percentage. You might look on the container and see if it is actually approved for regular feeding or if it's just for supplementation. If just for supplementation, make sure that you're giving something that's fortified with taurine, in addition to the canned food. Some companies are making foods for "supplemental feeding only" and cats then are put at risk for taurine deficiency (an ingredient that should have been listed in the ingredient panel).

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yep I already have Mo on a low allergen dry food so that would carry on. The chicken is a supplement food like you said, so I would just feed it once in the morning. I think its worth a try?

PitRottMommy

Banned
Yep I already have Mo on a low allergen dry food so that would carry on. The chicken is a supplement food like you said, so I would just feed it once in the morning. I think its worth a try?

I don't think it's a direct switch for straight pumpkin...but it's worth a try! It sounds like a very neat food!

My boy Archie also has sloppies as our house hold likes 2 call them lol.
I'm interested in using the pumpkin. But I have been told 2 use the baby food tin does anyone now if this is a good idea??
RAW whats the best 2 use??

Beloverly

Lairian
I am fairly new to the entire sphynx world, and I am wondering a similar thing. I have not had my little boy long maybe a week or two so I am giving him some time to regulate before I get concerned... also he is in the middle of a diet change. However his poop is weird...not trying to be gross lol but it actually reminds my of lava or over cooked brownies or cookies. (sorry if I just ruined those foods for everybody). When I see his poop it almost looks like when he pooped it was solid, but so hot the it melted. Because you can see like a outer shell to it that looks like it came out solid, and then this this, not runny but sticky looking goo in the middle.... and omg it smells horrible! I am just hoping it will get better after the diet change is complete.

brattly2

Lairian
I am fairly new to the entire sphynx world, and I am wondering a similar thing. I have not had my little boy long maybe a week or two so I am giving him some time to regulate before I get concerned... also he is in the middle of a diet change. However his poop is weird...not trying to be gross lol but it actually reminds my of lava or over cooked brownies or cookies. (sorry if I just ruined those foods for everybody). When I see his poop it almost looks like when he pooped it was solid, but so hot the it melted. Because you can see like a outer shell to it that looks like it came out solid, and then this this, not runny but sticky looking goo in the middle.... and omg it smells horrible! I am just hoping it will get better after the diet change is complete.

My kitten Osbald ad the same issue and he ended up aving tritrichomonas which is very common in purebred cats. I workas a vet tech and my boss didnt even know cats could get it until i started doing research. He had been tested and medicated for everything before I came across that info. I am now in the debate of treating it or living with the problem for another year but if that is what your kitten has I can tell you it is not fun to deal with and seems to continuously get worse

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I've had my Boone almost 1 year. His poos have always been of pudding consistency. I don't know how often he goes each day, because I have 4 other cats, but I'm guessing once or twice per day. He seems healthy all the time I've had him, & his bum has never looked raw or painful. He has a good appetite too.:ThumbsUp:

brattly2

Lairian
I've had my Boone almost 1 year. His poos have always been of pudding consistency. I don't know how often he goes each day, because I have 4 other cats, but I'm guessing once or twice per day. He seems healthy all the time I've had him, & his bum has never looked raw or painful. He has a good appetite too.:ThumbsUp:

They have no other symptoms with trich mine acted fine too great appetite etc.

wifanlith

Lairian
I know I'm a little late in this post, but in the uk Pets at home do raw food in the freezer section. Engie and my tabby both now live on raw from there. They even love the raw minced tripe.

MillaNN

Lairian
I know I'm a little late in this post, but in the uk Pets at home do raw food in the freezer section. Engie and my tabby both now live on raw from there. They even love the raw minced tripe.

That sounds very interesting, is it their own brand?

//Milla

Back