Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

NYC rehoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

katlikemeow

Lairian
Hi all,
I posted on sphynxlair a few months ago about some difficulties we were having with our two-year-old sphynx, Tristan. You can find my last post here:
Illness, behavioral issues, and possible rehoming

Since then we have gotten his skin condition under control with regular medication and a special diet. His aggression has decreased dramatically (he has even tolerated my daughter grabbing his skin in her fist when my back was turned. I was very impressed with him!).

Still, we have a one bedroom and are sleeping in the living room. Tris wakes us up 3-4 times a night. We have tried everything we can think of to fix this situation. My husband and I are both suffering the ill effects of broken sleep, and I just can't do it any more. I don't think we are giving Tris the home he needs, and there is someone out there who can. So, with a broken heart, I'm writing this post. Here's the lowdown:

-Tris is a very active, very talkative cat. He loves to play, loves to cuddle under the blankets, and is just a funny little guy.
-He is a diva. Obviously.
-He currently lives with the dog. He is definitely the boss but at this point they get along, and even play sometimes. He has spent some time around other cats but never lived with them so I can't really speak to how he would deal with that.
-Tris was given to us by someone who kept him for two weeks when he was a kitten, then had to give him up due to work obligations. I desperately want this to be his LAST RE-HOMEING. I know we can't foresee everything that life will throw at us, but I need Tris's new family to make a commitment to stick it out with him to the very best of their ability.

His ideal new parent would:
-Have space to lock Tris out of the room at night. I would really love to see him go to someone with a house, with lots of space to play and even the potential for some supervised back yard time. If you live in an apartment it is not a deal breaker, but we would need to discuss how you guys can make it work with a nocturnal kitty.
-Preferably have sphynx experience . Tris is, in a lot of way, the quintessential sphynx. I know the right person will love him for this.
-Be commited to keeping up with his medical needs in terms of both time and money. This is a nonegotiable. Right now, the cost of his medical needs are pretty stable, but in the past they have been considerable.

No rehoming fee to approved home

Last edited by a moderator:

katlikemeow

Lairian
Whoops, forgot to add: Tris is free to a good home.
IMG_20170511_164621.jpg
IMG_20171019_105356.jpg
IMG_20180208_131646807.jpg

Traci Smith

Lairian
Oh geez!!! What a heartbreaker, I know you have had many ups and downs emotionally coming to this decision. I have been through it with a psycho terrior we just wanted to love so badly.
The Smiths are hoping you find the right family where he can be better suited. So tough, best wishes from us and the Nile cat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hugs for you and cuddles for Tris. What a handsome and adorable boy he is. Hope you find a good home for him

Klcklc1285

Lairian
Hi Katlikemeow!!!! I commented on your post a few times many months ago. I am sooooo happy to hear that Tris has improved. I really hope that you will consider me to be Tris’ new mommy. I have three cats total. Two are my sphynx girls, Gretta (the boss... she runs the house) Myrtle (the sweet, timid, shy angel who sometimes gets pushed around, but knows I have her back and and save her when the others get too roudy.) and Dexter... he’s not a sphynx... he’s a Bengal mix so he is not nearly as high maintenance but he still causes a ruckus sometimes. My Gretta is very talkative. She literally yells at me from across the house... i had Gretta first.... then when I got Dexter as a kitten... Gretta freaked out.... it took some time but now they are pals..... then when we got Myrtle (my second sphynx girl) Gretta and Dexter hated her and poor Myrtle was scared to death. Now they are all friends and sometimes they fight but they love each other and cuddle up and take naps together stand it’s realky sweet. I can’t promise that if you pick me, that my cats are going to take to him like a fish to water... but I promise you that with just a little time, they will soon live Mr. Tris.

Hi all,
I posted on sphynxlair a few months ago about some difficulties we were having with our two-year-old sphynx, Tristan. You can find my last post here:
Illness, behavioral issues, and possible rehoming

Since then we have gotten his skin condition under control with regular medication and a special diet. His aggression has decreased dramatically (he has even tolerated my daughter grabbing his skin in her fist when my back was turned. I was very impressed with him!).

Still, we have a one bedroom and are sleeping in the living room. Tris wakes us up 3-4 times a night. We have tried everything we can think of to fix this situation. My husband and I are both suffering the ill effects of broken sleep, and I just can't do it any more. I don't think we are giving Tris the home he needs, and there is someone out there who can. So, with a broken heart, I'm writing this post. Here's the lowdown:

-Tris is a very active, very talkative cat. He loves to play, loves to cuddle under the blankets, and is just a funny little guy.
-He is a diva. Obviously.
-He currently lives with the dog. He is definitely the boss but at this point they get along, and even play sometimes. He has spent some time around other cats but never lived with them so I can't really speak to how he would deal with that.
-Tris was given to us by someone who kept him for two weeks when he was a kitten, then had to give him up due to work obligations. I desperately want this to be his LAST RE-HOMEING. I know we can't foresee everything that life will throw at us, but I need Tris's new family to make a commitment to stick it out with him to the very best of their ability.

His ideal new parent would:
-Have space to lock Tris out of the room at night. I would really love to see him go to someone with a house, with lots of space to play and even the potential for some supervised back yard time. If you live in an apartment it is not a deal breaker, but we would need to discuss how you guys can make it work with a nocturnal kitty.
-Preferably have sphynx experience . Tris is, in a lot of way, the quintessential sphynx. I know the right person will love him for this.
-Be commited to keeping up with his medical needs in terms of both time and money. This is a nonegotiable. Right now, the cost of his medical needs are pretty stable, but in the past they have been considerable.

No rehoming fee to approved home

katlikemeow

Lairian
@Klcklc1285 thanks so much for reaching out. You sound like an amazing mom with such a special pack. We actually found a placement for Tris. Otherwise I would have definitely been thrilled to talk about the possibility of you adopting him.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It's great Tris has a home.

I just wanted to put in a positive word for apartment dwellers for what it's worth. I have 2 Sphynxes that follow me around and sleep on my bed. I understand it isn't for everyone but don't hold it against someone just because they live in a small apartment.

Haley Olsen

Lairian
Hello! I live in Arizona, my mom will be coming to NY in August. If he is still available i would like some more information on him. Does he have a health cert if we decide to take him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back