Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Ochi was bitten by a spider

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Hubby rushed him to the vet immediately without even calling. I could see it was that serious we should not wait. Thankfully he was stable and was given 2 shots. He could barely walk when he got home, due to what we assume was the shot in his rear leg...a few hours later the swelling went down considerably and he was walking fine.
d52ecc6c2d1d718a137053c62276a6bb.jpg

8420ffce7b449cb391d9ebc4526e10dd.jpg

As you can see it was quite serious...he had no neck from the swelling.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Glad it turned out well. Can I ask, how did you know what happened? You got me thinking what if this happens when I'm at work....how would I know?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Yikes!! Glad you noticed he was biten by a spider right away and rushed to the vet. Very reliefed to hear he's doing better now. Sending some extra healing vibes.
And hugs to you and hubby. You must have been so scared

Last edited:

Lynn W

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh how awful..poor baby..so glad you noticed it and got him to the Vet so fast..it looks painful..another reason I HATE SPIDERS!!!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Condo commando. I fed him in the morning and he was fine. I came upstairs to join a video conference and my husband rushed in and said we had a problem. I took one look and I said he got bit. The only thing that I assumed could make him swell 30 minutes later from when I had seen him last.

We have friends staying with us and when hubby ran downstairs with Ochi he told them I said he was bitten and to get to the vet fast. They said they saw him on the window sill playing with a tiny jumpy thing but it disappeared. My husband said he has seen a spider between the glass and screen for a week but no harm because we have had the windows closed running the air conditioner. Yesterday morning it cooled off so when I went down to feed them I opened up the windows for fresh air.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
It went down considerably yesterday, but still puffiness than I would like, so started Benadryl as per doc’s advice. He is doing great though.

Chilly Willy

Lairian
It went down considerably yesterday, but still puffiness than I would like, so started Benadryl as per doc’s advice. He is doing great though.

@Catzzzmeow
Oh. My. Goodness!! I can’t even imagine.... So glad Your baby is doing better!

Is the vet suggesting a follow up appointment, just in case the spider bite irritates any tissue? I had no idea that our Nekkeds could actually be given Benadryl by mouth. Was the shot a kitty form of Epi?

Chilly sends snuggles and will happily actually GIVE Ochi his heated man cave for a while because a shot in the hind end —or ANYWHERE—- totally stinks!!!

Snuggles and hugs for all....

Jenn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Chilly Willy he said to go back if it got hard or moved. So I think he will be fine with a couple of days of Benadryl. He was given 2 shots:

Dexamethasone which is a steroid
Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) which is an antihistamine

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh my goodness, kudos to you and hubby for taking notice right away and rushing straight to the vet. Poor little Ochi all swollen from the evil spider! I'd like to imagine he and the spider had a great duel, and Ochi got the final word in the end after being bitten (perhaps he was eaten after administering that bite). Rotten spider, I absolutely hate them. Very glad to hear that the swelling is going down, hopefully the Benadryl will be fast acting and Ochi can be back to his normal self.

gojira14

Lairian
Hubby rushed him to the vet immediately without even calling. I could see it was that serious we should not wait. Thankfully he was stable and was given 2 shots. He could barely walk when he got home, due to what we assume was the shot in his rear leg...a few hours later the swelling went down considerably and he was walking fine.
d52ecc6c2d1d718a137053c62276a6bb.jpg

8420ffce7b449cb391d9ebc4526e10dd.jpg

As you can see it was quite serious...he had no neck from the swelling.

Poor baby I hope he feels better soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
Omg , just reading this now (((((hugs ))
and Healing vibes for sweet Ochi

The dex shot has worked wonders on my crew

Head smooches to Ochi amd all paws

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Does anyone know what kind of spider bit him? It’s great that you were able to get him help quickly. Did the vet say what you could do if it happens Again?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Cleopatra Beers No idea of the name of the spider but we have seen a few lately ugh. It is very very tiny, black and hops. It is about the size of the Peter in the word hop. Vet said we were lucky it was so small because he is a kitten. We now have Benadryl in the house so if it happens again I will give that to him and still get him to the vet because he is obviously vet allergic to the venom.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Stopped Benadryl. Slight swelling on the side but vet said could take a good week for it to totally go down. We leave for vacation tomorrow and we are thrilled he is well. Thanks for asking @Yoda mom

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So Glad he is doing better.
I monitored this post but have been doing continuing education out of town. Have fun on your trip.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yikes yikes. So glad Ochi is doing better. It sounds like a Wolf Spider, but I could be wrong. We get them here sometimes and Hubby is quick to relocate them out of our home as they do bite and have venom. Based on your experience and my own with Max and the bees, sometimes I think it should be essential for everyone to keep an antihistamine on hand for these situations -- although a vet visit is still essential.

HUGS to you, Mr. Catzzz and Ochi.

Back