Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

oldest sphynx?

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi all,

I guess I'm kinda depressed tonight for some reason so my apologies for the kind of gloomy post. I was just thinking about my babies. So far, one passed when she was 5 (RIP Shey) and the other made it till he was 9 yrs old(RIP Kienna)--both were HCM+. Both my babies now are 5. One is + and the other isn't. I realize that HCM throws a curveball to statistics but how old do healthy sphynx generally live?

What is the oldest sphynx anyone here has? Do sphynx have the same life expectancy as other cats?

Thanks!

Brooke

Banned
Hi all,

I guess I'm kinda depressed tonight for some reason so my apologies for the kind of gloomy post. I was just thinking about my babies. So far, one passed when she was 5 (RIP Shey) and the other made it till he was 9 yrs old(RIP Kienna)--both were HCM+. Both my babies now are 5. One is + and the other isn't. I realize that HCM throws a curveball to statistics but how old do healthy sphynx generally live?

What is the oldest sphynx anyone here has? Do sphynx have the same life expectancy as other cats?

Thanks!

I'm feeling the doom and gloom with you tonight...Nelson just had a major coughing fit, very reminiscent of what Harold used to do in his final months. You've been down the HCM road a few times, I'm sure you've seen it. Harold (RIP) lived to almost 6. Nelson is almost 4 now and was given another year. :Cry:

On a happier note, Helen just turned 9 in September. The spunky old lady was just smacking Walter around a few minutes ago. She just had a full senior blood workup and an echo and, other than some arthritis in her hips, she's as healthy as they come. I expect she'll be with me well into her teens.:ThumbsUp:

One of the oldest cats on record was a Sphynx, who lived to be 34 years old!!!
http://www.petpublishing.com/catkit/articles/grandpa.shtml

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow thanks for that info Brooke!

And to both of you, I hope things get better for you both!! Big hugs!!!!

sphynxluvr

Lairian
WOW!!! That sure gives me hope! How lucky would we all be to spend that amount of time with our precious babies!?! I feel blessed for every unconditional loving moment they give.:Smile:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Here's another ray of hope for you all....Piglet just turned 10 years old this month! She got a clean bill of health from our vet when she went in for her annual check-up earlier this month. She's an old gal, but still frisky and energetic like a kitten. I'm hoping that my Pigs will live on for another decade at least! :ThumbsUp: I like to think that God is keeping her around on this earth to continue with her therapy work. :Sweet-angel:

gizmoismyboy

Lairian
WOW!!! That sure gives me hope! How lucky would we all be to spend that amount of time with our precious babies!?! I feel blessed for every unconditional loving moment they give.:Smile:

aint that the truth !!! I tell my friends, no matter how crappy of a day i had at work, or arguement with the wife, or just having a reallllllly bad day- when i come home and watch/play/cuddle with them, they make me smile from ear to ear. :LOL:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Man, there's something unusual with Piglet. She's different. Special.

When we talk about Piglet I get a weird feeling, like a hunch. That cat is special and is going to live a long time and help people in hospice.

Did you guys/gals ever read the story of the cat that lived in the nursing home? When someone was about to die, that cat would go in their room and sit on the patients bed. The cat did it several times with several other patients. Finally the nurses started taking note of it. It was amazing and that's the kind of feeling I get from Piggles. I'm going to look up that story and post it.

I like Piglet nicknames
piggy pie
piggers
piggly wiggly
piggy poo
poogy

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks everybody (especially you, El Gato!) for the kind words about Piglet. She is a truly special cat and I hope I'll have many, many more happy years with her. She's an amazing "pet partner" when we go on our therapy visits and an awesome companion at home.

Back