Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Pedda had a seizure.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This morning Pedda was sitting in my lap while I was here at the computer. All of a sudden she started screaming and clawing. I wouldn't let her down and after about 10 seconds she went limp. I turned her face up and she was drooling a lot of clear mucus. Her eyes were fixed and not moving. After a few more seconds she woke up and seemed normal. I ran her right to the vet, am waiting for him to call me now.

I'm worried sick. She hasn't gotten into anything and has been perfectly fine. She had been in my lap for 3-4 hours without budging prior to it happening. I'm just praying that it's something that can be fixed and that she can live with.

Bella07

Banned
Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this! I'll be sure to keep Pedda in my prayers. I hope that the vet can figure out the cause, and help you prevent this from happening again....Keep us updated please.

susi794

Staff member
OMG---am praying the vet finds out what's wrong and it's something that can be fixed. Keep us informed.
We love you, Marlene and Pedda,
Susi and the gang

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
How alarming. Poor sweet Pedda. Dinka and I are hoping and praying for the both of you.:Surprise:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just got a call from the vet. Her sugar was a bit elevated but not alarmingly high, he said that was probably from stress. BUN, creat and blood urea levels are all great. He's waiting on the rest of the blood workup results. He did head and chest xrays, didn't see anything there so he followed them up with ultrasounds. Didn't see any sign of tumor.

He said that right now she's still a bit groggy from the sedation but she seems to be acting fine and is letting him know that she's pissed at finding herself locked in a strange cage. He's going to take her home with him tonight so he can keep an eye on her and if he can't figure out what's going on he wants to send her to another clinic that can do an EEG on her. We know she wasn't poisoned and didn't hit herself in the head, and since there's no tumor he's leaning towards an electrical problem in the brain, something like epilepsy maybe.

Will let you know soon as I find out something more concrete. And please keep praying and crossing your fingers for her. That was the most terrifying thing ever. I felt so helpless and all I could think was that she was dying and there wasn't anything I could do. Today has been emotionally draining.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Of course you are drained. OMG. It sounds like you have a great vet, good for Pedda. Thanks for keeping us posted. Sending healing vibes Pedda's way.:Dizzy:

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Just got a call from the vet. Her sugar was a bit elevated but not alarmingly high, he said that was probably from stress. BUN, creat and blood urea levels are all great. He's waiting on the rest of the blood workup results. He did head and chest xrays, didn't see anything there so he followed them up with ultrasounds. Didn't see any sign of tumor.

He said that right now she's still a bit groggy from the sedation but she seems to be acting fine and is letting him know that she's pissed at finding herself locked in a strange cage. He's going to take her home with him tonight so he can keep an eye on her and if he can't figure out what's going on he wants to send her to another clinic that can do an EEG on her. We know she wasn't poisoned and didn't hit herself in the head, and since there's no tumor he's leaning towards an electrical problem in the brain, something like epilepsy maybe.

Will let you know soon as I find out something more concrete. And please keep praying and crossing your fingers for her. That was the most terrifying thing ever. I felt so helpless and all I could think was that she was dying and there wasn't anything I could do. Today has been emotionally draining.

George, Flare, and I are crossing our fingers and paws that Pedda will be ok. Hopefully this is just a one time thing and Pedda will be able to live her life without seizures and problems.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Poor Pedda and poor you! Your vet sounds woderful that is great he is going to take her home tonight. Our thoughts are with you in finding a answer.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Prayers for Pedda.
I had a manx with epilepsy that had seizuers from the time we got her until she died at age 11.
I hope the vet figures out what is wrong.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
OMG! I am so sorry , that must have been terrifying! Your vet is great to take her home himself! Please keep us informed, we will certainly be praying for sweet Pedda!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Latest update: Vet called about an hour ago and said Pedda was getting settled in his bedroom. Said he hadn't seen any sign of a seizure the whole time she's been with him. He also asked permission to do more blood work and a spinal tap tomorrow to rule out meningitis or something infectious like toxoplasmosis. He said those were way out long shots but he did want to rule them out. He also made arrangements for her to go to a different clinic for an EEG tomorrow afternoon. He really thinks the EEG stands the best chance of showing what is wrong at this rate.

My vet is wonderful. He and his wife are both vets and own a small country clinic about 20 minutes away. The husband stays in the clinic and handles the small animals while his wife takes care of the large animals and farm calls. I've been going to them since 1988 and trust them. I'm really hoping tomorrow will tell us what's wrong.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I hope your vet can figure out what is wrong. Sometimes animals have a random one and then never again. I had a dog that happened to.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I was so sad to come across this thread this morning. I am praying for you and Pedda, Marlene. Your vet sounds like a trustworhty soul. Please keep us update. Love to you both.

MikkiJean

Lairian
So sorry to hear about Pedda. I hope you got some rest last night and weren't up worrying too much. Let us know an update soon!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Pedda is home now and my niece is catsitting her while I work tonight. At this point they can't tell me what caused the seizure. They can tell me what isn't wrong though - her kidneys are fine, there's no tumor, she's not diabetic, she doesn't appear to have an infectious disease based on normal temperature but the spinal tap, blood culture and urine cultures will confirm that in 48 hours. The EEG didn't show anything abormal other than sedation.

It boils down to they have no clue why this happened and no idea if it'll ever happen again. If it does happen the vet said he's going to assume she's epileptic and start her on medication for that. Or if it doesn't happen again then she'll be fine living normally like she is now. So it's just wait and see at this point. But I'm so glad Pedda is home and is as healthy as can be expected.

Back